Pillars of Eternity: Pen and Paper Starter Guide

Should the Pen and Paper appear in "My Products"? Because it's not and I've linked my steam account and have downloaded the DLCs...Where should I be looking?

In the Steam files -> common , under the Pillars of Eternity Deadfire folder. You can find The Pen & Paper Guide, The Deadfire Guide book and The Deadfire Map, even POE Deadfire soundtracks all in there.

@Mods: How much are we allowed to share of the PnP here on the forums...? (Legally)

Can I copy+paste texts/paragraphs and share?

Someone should set up a play-by-post. not me though because I'm lazy.

I'd be interested in doing something like this, but need Players, and I would in that case also want to be a part of their character creation process, so I can give carrots, present challenges, and also know origins, secrets and so on and so on. Be a guiding and helping hand through the character creation. Such stuff could work really well in PM's on some medium (Discord? Skype? Obsidian Forums?). OpenRP? (Although, I don't know it well enough)

Somewhat wanting to create some mini-campaigns just one-on-one with Players, and then weave it together with other Players forming groups/rivalry and whatnot over time.

The starter guide is quite extensive, and just at a glance I see tons of potential in it. I really like the look of it. Though, I wish it expands with a visual aid, a world map of Eora (not just Dyrwood and the Deadfire from the games, but a more general top-down world map of all of it).

• Like 1

Well, if the P&P isn't exclusive to Kickstarter backers and can be shared around, I'd certainly love to try and play. :yes:

EDIT: I could be wrong, but weren't some of the P&P basics included with premium editions of Deadfire on Steam? If so, then I do have that.

Edited by Skazz

Alright, I checked the contents of my Steam bundle and it includes:

- Pen & Paper Starter Guide

- Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Vol. II

If that's enough to participate, then I'm still willing to play!

Any first impressions? Seeing how Josh has said many times that the p&p will be a good opportunity for him to go full experimental, I'm curious how the game feels.

I'm... not particularly jazzed about it. It feels like it has all of the downsides of Ars Magica without the clean system math or the creative thaumaturgy (so... the things that actually make Ars Magica worth playing), with a 4E-esque grid combat bolted on top.

Also, the character creation rules inexplicably don't seem to include teensy-tiny little details like how much xp we should distribute between attributes and abilities, without which it's kinda difficult to make a character. But hey, at least we have a skill list that runs for seven pages and includes absolute essentials such as Knitting, Forecasting and Midwifery!

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Any first impressions? Seeing how Josh has said many times that the p&p will be a good opportunity for him to go full experimental, I'm curious how the game feels.

I'm... not particularly jazzed about it. It feels like it has all of the downsides of Ars Magica without the clean system math or the creative thaumaturgy (so... the things that actually make Ars Magica worth playing), with a 4E-esque grid combat bolted on top.

Also, the character creation rules inexplicably don't seem to include teensy-tiny little details like how much xp we should distribute between attributes and abilities, without which it's kinda difficult to make a character. But hey, at least we have a skill list that runs for seven pages and includes absolute essentials such as Knitting, Forecasting and Midwifery!

Excellent! I've always wanted to role-play the Grieving Mother!

In all seriousness, though... as disheartening as this summary is (thanks, by the way), I guess I'm still willing to give it a shot. I like the setting and I haven never played Ars Magica, so I probably won't mind some of these rough edges.

Excellent! I've always wanted to role-play the Grieving Mother!

In all seriousness, though... as disheartening as this summary is (thanks, by the way), I guess I'm still willing to give it a shot. I like the setting and I haven never played Ars Magica, so I probably won't mind some of these rough edges.

Well I'm probably going to run it at some point because my campaign idea of "Psychonauts but on Eora" is just too sweet to pass up, but I was kinda hoping for something more than we got.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some news about the game? More rules or some release date?

Yes! Josh has responded to some constructive criticism of the TTRPG which some people might find interesting. Internal playtesting is underway and Josh hopes to have a new revision out by the end of the year. Finally, here's a preview of the enchantment rules.

Thanks for information. Usually I dont have any social web, (istagram, facebook, twitter....), and I lose some informaation.

I hope see the news in this forum in future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...