so i have a hard time deciding on what i want to pair my goldpact knight with; my initial thought was:

a) a troubadour (probably 1h + shield?)

+ lots of synergies as a buff-tank

+ lots of passives, buffs, support, heal etc.

+ synergies on attributes and focus on might/intellect/resolve will probably work well in conversations

+ some synergies in skills

- seems good from an rpg perspective but will probably not do a lot of damage

b) a soulblade (probably 2h?)

+ seems more fun/active than a pure buff-bot

+ the combination of soul annihilation and flames of devotion cycles seems like a strong combo

+ especially because paladin + soulblades both get ressources back for killing enemies so you can become a perpetuum mobile

+ ciphers might get some uniqe conversation options - they did get so in the first game

- more of selfish build, not that much group support and maybe worse for rpg / conversations

c) a berserker (probably dual wield?)

+ seems more fun / active than a pure buff-bot

+ paladin can negate the major negative from berserkers with mental fortress

+ lots of nice synergies with the defense of the paladin and the speed/offense of the berserker

- same as above, more selfish, less group support, less rpg

- might be a bit more annoying until you get mental fortress

- barbarian and paladin both have quite a lot of skills you'd want so you might get stretched a bit thin and focus mainly on passive skills

hmmm having a really hard time to decide

ps: why no monk or devoted in the combo - i hate being locked down into one weapon

Edited by Nemesis7884

ps: why no monk or devoted in the combo - i hate being locked down into one weapon

I feel like the whole needing to use fists as monk thing is overstated. Its true that fists can be very strong from an accuracy and damage standpoint, but there are plenty of weapon effects/enchants that can make them worthwhile to use. You can also put a weapon in offhand and fist in mainhand, and still get the benefits of transcendent suffering for MH. In the first game, i really enjoyed having at least 1 draining weapon on my monk, as it provided them with a good chunk of self sustain with the healing. And with high end enchants on weapons and other special abilities on them, the slight loss in raw damage/accuracy can often be negligible. Thats not to say fists can't be great too, but I wouldn't entirely discount using weapons on monks.

As for your question, I'd say a lot of it depends on what you want to do for the character and how you intend to build your group. chanter/paladin has a lot of potential as a tank, as a support char, as a summoner, as a healer/buffer. There are a lot of ways you can build it. If you want a tank or support char, i'd say that option is your best choice, where as berserker or soul blade multi with paladin is going to be more of a striker type char that also offers some utility with paladin skills, depending how you want to spend your points. You're likely going to want one relatively tanky character in your group, so you may want to consider which NPCs you want or if you're going to use hirelings or how you plan to round out your group.

I feel like the whole needing to use fists as monk thing is overstated. Its true that fists can be very strong from an accuracy and damage standpoint, but there are plenty of weapon effects/enchants that can make them worthwhile to use. You can also put a weapon in offhand and fist in mainhand, and still get the benefits of transcendent suffering for MH. In the first game, i really enjoyed having at least 1 draining weapon on my monk, as it provided them with a good chunk of self sustain with the healing. And with high end enchants on weapons and other special abilities on them, the slight loss in raw damage/accuracy can often be negligible. Thats not to say fists can't be great too, but I wouldn't entirely discount using weapons on monks.

As for your question, I'd say a lot of it depends on what you want to do for the character and how you intend to build your group. chanter/paladin has a lot of potential as a tank, as a support char, as a summoner, as a healer/buffer. There are a lot of ways you can build it. If you want a tank or support char, i'd say that option is your best choice, where as berserker or soul blade multi with paladin is going to be more of a striker type char that also offers some utility with paladin skills, depending how you want to spend your points. You're likely going to want one relatively tanky character in your group, so you may want to consider which NPCs you want or if you're going to use hirelings or how you plan to round out your group.

True i know i take the cipher, druid and priest/monk but that will leave a spot open to either take aloth or eder depending on needs....

I think inquisitor makes for a very nice single target synergy striker that is very efficient against single targets and very ressource friendly with sworn rival - FOD - soul annihilation ; rinse and repeat.... and herald offers tankiness healing and support as well as a lot of flexibility.... hmmmmmmmm

Guest FireGodLike

I'm quite unsure which paladin class to choose. Favorit is Goldpact for some reasons, but I'm still open to the others!

Why not stack Gilded Emninty's AR bonus with Stalker's bonus? All together thats +6 AR, and you get a free pet. You can also Add in Mark enemy, and not have to worry about perception to hit stuff.

Edited by Retro1210

I think inquisitor makes for a very nice single target synergy striker that is very efficient against single targets and very ressource friendly with sworn rival - FOD - soul annihilation ; rinse and repeat.... and herald offers tankiness healing and support as well as a lot of flexibility.... hmmmmmmmm

What's the benefit of a Paladin + Cipher vs something like a Soldier + Cipher. I'm thinking the latter has more stuns and the former has more buffs? I'm juggling between the two at the moment and not sure which will be suitable for me. Eventually I want something with okay defence but which one does the most damage? or is the difference negligible. 

Why not stack Gilded Emninty's AR bonus with Stalker's bonus? All together thats +6 AR, and you get a free pet. You can also Add in Mark enemy, and not have to worry about perception to hit stuff.

Paladin and Stalker seems like a great multiclass combo. Lots of support for your pet and party, with great defensive passives to stand in melee next to your pet. I think Kind Wayfarer's healing FoD would be even better to help keep you and your pet up, while still dealing great damage.

What's the benefit of a Paladin + Cipher vs something like a Soldier + Cipher. I'm thinking the latter has more stuns and the former has more buffs? I'm juggling between the two at the moment and not sure which will be suitable for me. Eventually I want something with okay defence but which one does the most damage? or is the difference negligible.

Well high defense, focus on one enemy, hard hitting attacks and both cipher and paladin get ressources back when they kill an enemy...devoted might be even better but then youre locked into 1 weapon and i disslike that