I set sail for the first time and there was no sign of Vela. ;(:aiee:

I thought we forgot her in Vilario's Rest, but on the following day I found her talking with Xerafen.  :sweat:

I never saw her again after leaving Vilario's Rest. Couldn't find her anywhere on the ship. I have no idea what happened.

Just checked and I found her in my room. She doesn't look very fond of the Watcher. "Need something captain?" is not what I'd expect from my daughter, but maybe she is pretending to be a pirate or something.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

A couple of lines only? Do other people in the party notice or care? Does extra dialog pop up in non-romance conversations?

Well, I'm like 1/3 into the game, so can't say for sure about the actual amount of dialogue (beyond 2 conversations at 1 and 2 approval), but yes, Eder does notice and has a banter with Aloth about it, so I would assume other companions do too, it just didn't trigger for me yet. Maia also had a "shame you've already "accounted for", captain" conversation with my character.

Also, upon entering Queen's Berth Aloth had a cute little line: "So many people, I much prefer quiet evenings together" (not sure if it is location specific though). And there was this scripted interaction, where you can enter a swimming contest, and Aloth says: "I'll keep a close watch on your things. By which I mean your clothes". Aloth coughs uncomfortably and lays a hand on your discarded belongings", though I can't be sure if it's romance specific or he is just being his awkward self :D

• Like 4

So I know Maia and Tekehu (and maybe Xoti) are bugged to initiate faster than they should, but when can you have the conversation with Aloth about a relationship? I'm at tier 2 approval (through the mod) and no conversation.

I'm currently before the island of uh....the fabled Huana island...don't remember the name

Edit: nevermind, I found it haha

Edited by soraela

So I know Maia and Tekehu (and maybe Xoti) are bugged to initiate faster than they should, but when can you have the conversation with Aloth about a relationship? I'm at tier 2 approval (through the mod) and no conversation.

I'm currently before the island of uh....the fabled Huana island...don't remember the name

Could you tell how did you "find" it in the end? Because I'm at the same state - raised Aloth's disposition via mod to 2 after completing his quest. Aand... no romantic dialogue. Tried previous saves and on some of those it worked. But not on all. Can't understand what's wrong. I'm definitely not in a romance with anybody else and only completed some Huana quests between the "yes dialogue" and "no dialogue" state.

Could just forget it and lose 1-2 hours of the game, but I'm scared to somehow break the romance again.

Well, if anybody wondered who are the companions that get together in the game - it's Xoti and Maia, of all people  :rolleyes: No love for Eder, literally :)

9oA9MuZh.png

I knew it! Well after playing another 10 hours now, but I knew it!

• Like 1

Has anyone playing a female watcher managed to fully test Eder? Is he for certain off limits or is he just "hard to get"?

There's one convo with him where the Watcher can ask if he has feelings for her. It takes him a bit to realize what she's talking about, and then gives a it's-not-you-it's-me talk.

Well...that's a disappointment of Varric Tethras proportions!! 

Edited by CalamityJess
  • Like 3

Could you tell how did you "find" it in the end? Because I'm at the same state - raised Aloth's disposition via mod to 2 after completing his quest. Aand... no romantic dialogue. Tried previous saves and on some of those it worked. But not on all. Can't understand what's wrong. I'm definitely not in a romance with anybody else and only completed some Huana quests between the "yes dialogue" and "no dialogue" state.

Could just forget it and lose 1-2 hours of the game, but I'm scared to somehow break the romance again.

If you don't have a romance dialogue with Aloth after completing his quest and having rep of 2 then go do the main quest (Ashen Maw). After the talks at the palace he will talk to you immediately.

• Like 4

A couple of lines only? Do other people in the party notice or care? Does extra dialog pop up in non-romance conversations?

Well, I'm like 1/3 into the game, so can't say for sure about the actual amount of dialogue (beyond 2 conversations at 1 and 2 approval), but yes, Eder does notice and has a banter with Aloth about it, so I would assume other companions do too, it just didn't trigger for me yet. Maia also had a "shame you've already "accounted for", captain" conversation with my character.

Also, upon entering Queen's Berth Aloth had a cute little line: "So many people, I much prefer quiet evenings together" (not sure if it is location specific though). And there was this scripted interaction, where you can enter a swimming contest, and Aloth says: "I'll keep a close watch on your things. By which I mean your clothes". Aloth coughs uncomfortably and lays a hand on your discarded belongings", though I can't be sure if it's romance specific or he is just being his awkward self :D

Nice, haven't heard any of those. It was Xoti at the swimming contest for me.

• Like 1

I didn't even try to romance Xoti, but suddenly she approached me on my ship to confess her burning love for my watcher... Out of curiosity I gave in, but damn, I can't even remember the last time I cringed this hard. "Oh great watcher, thank you for choosing me... blahblah" It felt forced and almost made me throw her off the ship. 

• Like 2

Has anyone playing a female watcher managed to fully test Eder? Is he for certain off limits or is he just "hard to get"?

There's one convo with him where the Watcher can ask if he has feelings for her. It takes him a bit to realize what she's talking about, and then gives a it's-not-you-it's-me talk.

I at least like what he says after you choose the passionate response to that. The Watcher says something like, "Give me a chance. I will make you see everything in a whole new way," and he replies, "If anyone could do that, it would be you." Might be encouragement for future content, who knows?

There is also the option where you suggest you will wait for him and he says he will let you know. I picked that the first time.

• Like 3

I didn't even try to romance Xoti, but suddenly she approached me on my ship to confess her burning love for my watcher... Out of curiosity I gave in, but damn, I can't even remember the last time I cringed this hard. "Oh great watcher, thank you for choosing me... blahblah" It felt forced and almost made me throw her off the ship. 

Yea, she's too amorous for my tastes as well. First she goes after Eder asking everybody how to make him notice her, then she wants the Watcher and if you don't give in ends up with Maia  :rolleyes: Maybe it's just her being young and passionate, but I saw that as lacking any subtlety or self respect. Also, if you rebuke her advances she's bugged in the ending slides along with Tekehu - it's treated as if you were a lover who dumped them. That also mars any good first impression of their character.

• Like 5

Edér only has eyes for Walaruna the milkmaid. :p

​Though I kinda like the idea of him with Xoti. 

​Given I'm playing a pale elf, I think I'll hold out for Ydwin given that Pallegina seems practically asexual.

​That or I have my character remain single - which I'm fine with. :) 

Edited by Androoh

If you don't have a romance dialogue with Aloth after completing his quest and having rep of 2 then go do the main quest (Ashen Maw). After the talks at the palace he will talk to you immediately.

Oh, wow, it worked! Thank you very much  :wub:

Wow. Xoti is horny. After having barely anything to say for last 15hours, or even explain herself, she suddenly quite openly tried to hit on my PC. After I turned her down, literally seconds later she tried to hit on Eder in the banter. 

Uhhh... seems like romance is always an RPGs bane. I hoped that with relationship system there would be at least some kind of buildup, before characters start saying how they can't live without you. Sadly, it seems like Deadfire didn't manage to elevate romantic relationships beyond fanfiction quality. Could have done without them. I was trying to pick the most uninterested, but not hostile, lines to avoid this kind of stuff, but I guess unless you treat characters horrible they will try to bed you. 

• Like 5

Uhhh... seems like romance is always an RPGs bane. I hoped that with relationship system there would be at least some kind of buildup, before characters start saying how they can't live without you. Sadly, it seems like Deadfire didn't manage to elevate romantic relationships beyond fanfiction quality. Could have done without them. I was trying to pick the most uninterested, but not hostile, lines to avoid this kind of stuff, but I guess unless you treat characters horrible they will try to bed you. 

Good thing I didn't have any high hopes for romances this time, so I'm not as disappointed as some fans around here. I'm still waiting for a game that'd be of the same level of quality when it comes to romances as BG2 was. POE2 sure looks as a successor, but is actually way shorter than BG2 (completed POE2 completely in 30 something hours), so long winded romances with tons of dialogues maybe would have been too much, however what we have here is just bare bones riddled with bugs. 

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 2

That's nothing actually. In my playthrough Xoti was hitting on my female Watcher, Eder and Maia simultainously, Eder was hitting on Iselmyr, while my Watcher was trying unsuccesfuly to "romance" Aloth, while trying to turn down Tekehu's advances - it was quite amusing to watch actually. I legitimately don't know if it's supposed to work like that, but I'm quite certain that the affinity system is quite buggy in more than few places.

Seriously, though - 25 hours in, I am rather disappointed in the quality of romances in Deadfire. I am not against romances in any way, shape or form. Done well, they can be very fun to roleplay and experience. It's just apparently most writers eqate "romance" with "sex and kissy stuff" (which is rather incidental to the entire idea of romance, at least for me) rather than "deep, intimate connection between two characters". I always wanted to see more quality romances that flow naturally from story and reinforce it in a way, even at the expense of LI available. Example that I always give (and you're quite welcome to disagree) is a romance between Revan and Bastila in KoTOR 1. Some spotty Bioware writing notwithstanding, the romance between those two felt apropos the story the game was trying to tell. I also enjoyed romancing Fall-From-Grace in Planescape: Torment (beacuse there was a romance there - subtle and subtextual, but romance in full meaning of the word). Deadfire just went with Bioware approach of "pick a character to sleep with from a buffet" that does nothing for a story they are trying to tell. And I was hoping for more - especially from Obsidian. 

TLDR; at max one or two LI with decent connection to the plot and the player, instead of army of shallow waifus to choose from - that's what I would like to see going forward.

• Like 5

Xoti hasn't been quite that bad for me, haha, but every combat start she says, "Do you think Eder would hold onto it for me?" and I have no idea what she is referring to. Almost all her barks seem to be about Eder. "Eder, look at what the Watcher gave me! It's pretty as a picture." It seems like they might need a few more conditionals for the flirts or something if she is flirting with everyone at once for others. In my game Tekehu swooped in literally a second after Eder rejected my Watcher. I thought that was funny. I don't mind the romances being a little clunky as long as I can figure out what the triggers are, and what to avoid or seek.

That's nothing actually. In my playthrough Xoti was hitting on my female Watcher, Eder and Maia simultainously, Eder was hitting on Iselmyr, while my Watcher was trying unsuccesfuly to "romance" Aloth, while trying to turn down Tekehu's advances - it was quite amusing to watch actually. I legitimately don't know if it's supposed to work like that, but I'm quite certain that the affinity system is quite buggy in more than few places.

Seriously, though - 25 hours in, I am rather disappointed in the quality of romances in Deadfire. I am not against romances in any way, shape or form. Done well, they can be very fun to roleplay and experience. It's just apparently most writers eqate "romance" with "sex and kissy stuff" (which is rather incidental to the entire idea of romance, at least for me) rather than "deep, intimate connection between two characters". I always wanted to see more quality romances that flow naturally from story and reinforce it in a way, even at the expense of LI available. Example that I always give (and you're quite welcome to disagree) is a romance between Revan and Bastila in KoTOR 1. Some spotty Bioware writing notwithstanding, the romance between those two felt apropos the story the game was trying to tell. I also enjoyed romancing Fall-From-Grace in Planescape: Torment (beacuse there was a romance there - subtle and subtextual, but romance in full meaning of the word). Deadfire just went with Bioware approach of "pick a character to sleep with from a buffet" that does nothing for a story they are trying to tell. And I was hoping for more - especially from Obsidian. 

TLDR; at max one or two LI with decent connection to the plot and the player, instead of army of shallow waifus to choose from - that's what I would like to see going forward.

I agree with everything here.

I am a girl playing a female Watcher and I am about 22 hours in and feel exactly the same. I went through the Xoti quest line and I wanted to help her and be there for her so I hugged her but that immediately activated her romance lines which just made me really annoyed. Why can't I just be a really good friend who's there for her and gives her a hug when she needs it without there being any romance? I do not have anything against LGBT romances in games in any way but the Bioware model just makes me wanna barf. It's written in such a bland and generic way that it really shatters my suspension of disbelief. 

I wanted romances so bad after playing PoE1 but it clearly seems like they misunderstood something. Romances does not mean that your companions starts flirting with you immediately or something like that. I just wanted deep meaningful relationships that MIGHT escalate in romantic feelings. I go through everything with these people and I want to feel that it makes our bond stronger. I want my bond with Xoti to feel meaningful but it does not necessarily have to be romantic.

I have so much to say about this. Because on the other hand my boyfriend and I got so upset when we found out that neither Eder nor Pallegina is romanceable. Two people you have been through everything with. We were (unfortunately) anticipating something that could get close to BG2 relationships but yeah.... Instead we got generic romances from people you just met that leaves you with an empty feeling. It's just weird that instead of maybe just excluding one of the new companions' romances they chose to exclude two characters you already know so well. And especially one whom all the fans loved and really wanted to romance (just look at comments on YouTube videos, polls, forum threads and so on). His excuse is that he is not ready for a relationship buuuut he is totally ready to be with old flame, Xoti or a woman in a man's body (and not in the trans way but in a way where it is actually without consent which is quite offending right?). Okay, I take offence Eder. 

I mean I totally get why Pallegina might not be romanceable because she is this stoic independent (maybe asexual) woman but my boyfriend thought that maybe he could get a romance kinda like they one with Jaheira in BG2. Well.... 

Oh and yeah it was also the last straw for me when Maia wanted me just after I got her in my team. I had her dismissed for a while and wanted to try her out but she apparently knew me well enough to being in love with me. Love at first sight! I know it's a bug but it just felt weird.

• Like 2

Oh and yeah it was also the last straw for me when Maia wanted me just after I got her in my team. I had her dismissed for a while and wanted to try her out but she apparently knew me well enough to being in love with me. Love at first sight! I know it's a bug but it just felt weird.

I think people need to chill and wait for a "horny companions" bug to be fixed. So far it seems all of them except for Aloth, who's bugged in another way, suffer from this.

• Like 4

Feels bad to friendzone everyone because I want Serafen and he leaves me at the end because he has a set goal and a heart of one-night-stand man.

Doesn't help he's the only one who feels natural. I'm the one who approach him and he gives a clear explanation why he's not ready to settle down even if I try really hard (And I think his convo is bugged because he is always feeling down ever since his quest). Way better than when certain someone freaking cucked me in D:OS2 as a reward for all the help and romance.

Certainly won't stop me from making my own romance comic like I did with D:OS2.

I think people need to chill and wait for a "horny companions" bug to be fixed. So far it seems all of them except for Aloth, who's bugged in another way, suffer from this.

Yeah I mean it's ok for me now that I know it's a bug but when it happened my heart sank a bit. 

Wow. Xoti is horny. After having barely anything to say for last 15hours, or even explain herself, she suddenly quite openly tried to hit on my PC. After I turned her down, literally seconds later she tried to hit on Eder in the banter. 

Uh...there are people like that in real life though. Xoti at least makes sense for it. She's young, impressionable and going through some crazy **** with her lantern. Makes sense she'd try to cling to anyone who much as gives her a second glance.

If all the LIs were like that it'd be a problem. Thankfully they aren't.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 4