I've been seeing a lot more people playing Pale Elves this time around ;D

I'm pretty excited since in the Season Pass it seems like something Rymrgand related, so hopefully get some more Pale Elf related lore (In the first we just got that tiny smidge from the elves at Noonfrost)

I look forward to companion reactions to being dragged somewhere cold again

Yeah one unapologetic Pale elf fan here  :yes:

Speaking of, that short glimpse into Rymrgand's realm was amazing, I am really looking forward to the DLC.

White that Wends is double boring - freezing wasteland of nothing but snow for miles ahead.

Living Lands on the other hand, are very diverse and awesome sequel material:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Living_Lands

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/True_Stories_from_the_Living_Lands

Different strokes for different folks :) I don't find ice/snow covered lands boring. I think they are magical. Besides, It all depends on how good are the writers at their jobs, which I don't think we have to worry about here.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Haha yeah its White that Wends.

I have a thing for arctic regions too. A lot of people hate Hoth in SWTOR but its one of my favorite planets :) I'd love it if the next game was set there, but not holding my breath. I think it will probably be Ixamitl planes or Old Vailia. I think Living Lands are a bit too similar to Dyrwood in terms of foresty areas? 

From what we saw in POE1 pale elves and their culture just feel so... surreal. Naasitaq is based on Inuit tribes so its kind of easy to imagine. Pale elves are completely unknown. I wish their reactivity in Deadfire was a bit more interesting though, other than "hardy place hardy people" thing.

The only thing I didn't like about Hoth was it was too much mindless driving. Also that snow shader gave me a headache.

Old Vailia would work for my woodelf at least. Though since he was a slave he's more inclined to burn the place down XD

I know it's a bit odd. Of course deadfire origin got the most mentions :p

*facepalms at self*

Wait no I got the two mixed up. Thankfully my pale elf's origin is right :p

I've been seeing a lot more people playing Pale Elves this time around ;D

I'm pretty excited since in the Season Pass it seems like something Rymrgand related, so hopefully get some more Pale Elf related lore (In the first we just got that tiny smidge from the elves at Noonfrost)

I look forward to companion reactions to being dragged somewhere cold again

I finally found a portrait of one I liked so I went with it :D

Hopefully.

And yessss companions complaining about the cold gets me. My poor SW had half her crew going naaaah to going to Hoth again. Think Pierce and DS Jaesa are the only ones who are cool with it.

• Like 2

Different strokes for different folks :) I don't find ice/snow covered lands boring. I think they are magical. Besides, It all depends on how good are the writers at their jobs, which I don't think we have to worry about here.

I got bored of all that snow in the White March. Whole game like that? Brr..

Edited by Aramintai

Diving in here to ask a quick question. Is there more to character romance after a companion admits they like you? Storywise I'm still in Act 1, and running all over Neketaka completing quests. Xoti came forward about liking my Watcher (oddly enough after arriving at the temple of Gaun  :lol:,) and now I have the two of them in a relationship. I know there's relationship bugs running rampart right now, so perhaps she's not supposed to end up falling for my Watcher that quickly. But since I'm still in Act 1, I was just wondering if there's more to the romance, or if that's about it in terms of Xoti acknowledging it or any story related bits with it. I have yet to see any additional dialog options with her (beside breaking up with her) since my Watcher got together with her. 

This can be with character romances in general, and not just necessarily with Xoti.

Edited by Seidhe
  • Like 1

I have a thing for arctic regions too. A lot of people hate Hoth in SWTOR but its one of my favorite planets :) I'd love it if the next game was set there, but not holding my breath. I think it will probably be Ixamitl planes or Old Vailia. I think Living Lands are a bit too similar to Dyrwood in terms of foresty areas? 

From what we saw in POE1 pale elves and their culture just feel so... surreal. Naasitaq is based on Inuit tribes so its kind of easy to imagine. Pale elves are completely unknown. I wish their reactivity in Deadfire was a bit more interesting though, other than "hardy place hardy people" thing.

Ooh I loved Hoth in SWTOR! Soooo many pretty screenshots :D

Gods I miss that game... had such a blast until KOTFE *sigh*

• Like 1

I liked KOTFE but I'm a Theron fangirl also the lastes FP *fans self* that romance scene was just too perfect for me.

• Like 2

I liked KOTFE but I'm a Theron fangirl also the lastes FP *fans self* that romance scene was just too perfect for me.

Whyyyy did you mention! There is a real danger now at derailing the thread :biggrin:

(PS I did like KOTFE too to be fair, it felt like KOTOR3 if you discounted everything that happened before that)

Diving in here to ask a quick question. Is there more to character romance after a companion admits they like you? Storywise I'm still in Act 1, and running all over Neketaka completing quests. Xoti came forward about liking my Watcher (oddly enough after arriving at the temple of Gaun  :lol:,) and now I have the two of them in a relationship. I know there's relationship bugs running rampart right now, so perhaps she's not supposed to end up falling for my Watcher that quickly. But since I'm still in Act 1, I was just wondering if there's more to the romance, or if that's about it in terms of Xoti acknowledging it or any story related bits with it. I have yet to see any additional dialog options with her (beside breaking up with her) since my Watcher got together with her. 

This can be with character romances in general, and not just necessarily with Xoti.

Not 100% certain but looks like there are. At least tiny bits here and there like ambient dialogue. Other companions def notice your relationship.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 3
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

There’s definitely more than one scene... I’m fairly sure the game doesn’t accomodate polyamory though, which surprises me since it’s accepted at least between elves and humans. It seems fairly in character for a couple of the companions too.

No idea what dialogue occurs when you have two on the go at the same time though. If anyone has tried this let us know??

Whyyyy did you mention! There is a real danger now at derailing the thread :biggrin:

(PS I did like KOTFE too to be fair, it felt like KOTOR3 if you discounted everything that happened before that)

Not 100% certain but looks like there are. At least tiny bits here and there like ambient dialogue. Other companions def notice your relationship.

I have to admit I like casually dropping into swtor now, but I don’t play it as a multiplayer game. I can’t abandon Theron in his hour of need lol.

• Like 3

I have to admit I like casually dropping into swtor now, but I don’t play it as a multiplayer game. I can’t abandon Theron in his hour of need lol.

I don't think anyone invested in Theron could :grin:

I always play it as a single player, not interested in MP stuff, but beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 3

XD It was too perfect though that spy boyfriend line I just. :w00t:

And yeah it's mostly small comments here and there. It's a nice touch.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies! I'm happy to see that it's not completely forgotten about once your Watcher ends up with someone. I'm a sap for romance in games/books/shows etc, and there's nothing more disappointing than seeing two characters end up together and have it never brought up again.  :no:

• Like 2

I always wonder, why we can have homosexual romance in game but not harem? :D

Definitely feasible but it would be a major time investment to do it in a way that was remotely realistic a la HBO's Big Love. I'm not opposed to it per se but I definitely understand why games have steered away in terms of the opportunity cost, not to mention potential political blow back. If you are just interested in maximizing the content for your run, I imagine mods are the proper solution. I ran through DA:I once on Xbox and years later with the collectors edition on PC. Loaded up a romance all mod for the PC run and I am glad I did. Would have never played enough to romance Solas and that ended up being the most memorable romance I think I've had in a game. Though I will admit Bull's relationship, while not very impactful, still has one of the funniest scenes from an RPG I can remember.  

Edited by PatrioticChief
  • Like 2

So they decided to go with player-sexual companions after all, despite all their bravado of not doing so. Disgusting. It feels like Obsidian is in an utter moral decline, they obviously no longer have a moral spine at all.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

So they decided to go with player-sexual companions after all, despite all their bravado of not doing so. Disgusting. It feels like Obsidian is in an utter moral decline, they obviously no longer have a moral spine at all.

They definitely are not player-sexual since all of them express interest in men and women regardless of how you interact with them. 

Edited by marimo
  • Like 3

They're bisexual. Or at least Tekehu, Maia, Xoti and Serafen are all bisexual - don't know if Aloth ever expresses any interest in anyone other than the Watcher, so he could be playersexual. But everyone else is is explicitly attracted to both men and women and can mention this during the course of the game regardless of whether or not the Watcher romances them.

I mean, I don't think making playersexual character is a sign of moral decline anyway, but that's not really what they did.

• Like 3

They're bisexual. Or at least Tekehu, Maia, Xoti and Serafen are all bisexual - don't know if Aloth ever expresses any interest in anyone other than the Watcher, so he could be playersexual. But everyone else is is explicitly attracted to both men and women and can mention this during the course of the game regardless of whether or not the Watcher romances them.

I mean, I don't think making playersexual character is a sign of moral decline anyway, but that's not really what they did.

Most of them would literally go after anything. It doesn't matter if you are the most hideous death godlike they'll ever know, because the only thing that matters to them is that you are the Watcher. It's just the laziest, cheapest way to introduce "romance" in a game and I honestly think that it would be better without this. 

Maybe, probably due to bugs in the relationship system or I don't know, these romances develop way too fast right now. I would prefer a game without these makeshift romances and more "true friendship forged in adversity". 

• Like 2

Most of them would literally go after anything. It doesn't matter if you are the most hideous death godlike they'll ever know, because the only thing that matters to them is that you are the Watcher. It's just the laziest, cheapest way to introduce "romance" in a game and I honestly think that it would be better without this. 

Maybe, probably due to bugs in the relationship system or I don't know, these romances develop way too fast right now. I would prefer a game without these makeshift romances and more "true friendship forged in adversity".

“Most of them would literally go after anything. It doesn't matter if you are the most hideous death godlike they'll ever know, because the only thing that matters to them is that you are the Watcher. ”

Every game with a character creation system is the same in this regard. You can make your character looks as ugly as possible and no one will batch an eye.

Edited by jf8350143
  • Like 1

'True friendship?' The mark of these companions is they have an agenda (and masters, for the most part), and you're just the vehicle for it. (Well, except Tekehu, poor little lost duck). That was true in PoE1 as well- you had useful Special Powahz, so they stuck around.

Of course, the lack of anything resembling adversity in this game would make it difficult to friendship friendship that way. But then I find these writers have real difficulty writing the companions as people first, rather than full on caricatures and 'archetypes.' I still feel they were most successful with Sagani.

Edited by Voss
  • Like 2

So you're saying that it's immoral to put player-sexual companions into a game?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So you're saying that it's immoral to put player-sexual companions into a game?

It's immoral to claim that the romances are "nuanced" especially in the sense that they were going to individually pick out each character's sexuality, and then when questioned about why that wasn't the case at all, the director (ie. the person who controls the entire direction of the game) writes it off as "I just let the writers do whatever they want, ask them why".

• Like 1

Be fashionable or be dead.

I fail to see which of them is player-sexual.

I'm pretty sure Tekehu and Serafen are pansexual...and Serafen flirt with everything, even birds.

Xoti can end up with a romantic relationship with 3 characters: Edér, Maia and the Watcher.

Maia express preferring women and you get to meet some of her exes in the game. She can dump the Watcher as well.

Aloth shows no attraction to the Watcher until the player does the first move. I always though he was asexual personally (asexual doesn't mean aromantic).

• Like 4

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Xoti can end up with a romantic relationship with 3 characters: Edér, Maia and the Watcher.

With two. Xoti can become good friends with Eder, if you nudge them in the right direction, otherwise Eder takes her aside and tells her he's not interested.

Aloth shows no attraction to the Watcher until the player does the first move. I always though he was asexual personally (asexual doesn't mean aromantic).

Well, to each their own. I don't view him as asexual, just very cautious and solitary, being stuck with Iselmyr for so long. So it felt natural for the Watcher to make the first move (still, I would appreciate more content).  

Edited by CaptainBiscuit
  • Like 5

Posting in a great thread.

Gj Obsidian doing every mistake possible when including romances.

- Dragonspear-level tacky fangirl level flirting? Check.

- Bioware everyone is a lover? Check.

- Old writers blocking romances cause they didn't want their characters to be ruined, even if these romances (Eder/Female Watcher) would actually make more sense? Check.

- And bugs for days! :sorcerer:

Poor Josh. But maybe in his next historical game if ever approved, he won't have to deal with all this.

And this is a studio that did Mask of Betrayer.

• Like 3