Racial stigmas that have nothing to do with reproduction of themselves would certainly have impact on interracial pairings, whether those pairings are sterile or not and regardless if they are straight or homosexual pairings. Somebody who thinks orlans are animals is unlikely to think a human/orlan pairing is just neutral. We know haemneg can be fraught.

Yes but Aloth himself says that could just be a jealousy issue and such pairings are used to hide affairs but few people tend to care because it can't interfere with inheritance due to no heirs. Haemneg seem to be more of a political convenience than an actual marriage anyway.

That said most of the racial stigmas seem to be directed towards orlans and godlike. My wood elf didn't get that many hateful comments from humans. I only played one human but I don't recall anything odd said to them about elves but that playthrough was a while ago. And if we're thinking who's liable to mind the PCs race it'd be Maia and Xoti and given Xoti's circumstances I can easily see her not caring about race as much, I haven't played with Maia though so I can't really discuss her. Aloth has some dependency issues going on (everytime you don't help him he gets himself killed what's up with that?) so the Watcher's race being minor to him is fitting, and Fishboy is fishboy.

I really need to play with Maia but I don't wanna side with the deadfire company. :down: and I have the feeling I'll get slammed with disapprovals for telling them that. 

I tested the Aloth rivalmance in a couple of different saves and, for some reason, it only triggers in the one where I kept Iselmyr around; in the other games, his negative disposition conversations end quickly and abruptly. Not sure if that's intended or a bug.

Probably intended. In that conversation it looks like she's the one who pretty much calls him out on it. Without that push he probably suppresses it ala usual.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 2

I tested the Aloth rivalmance in a couple of different saves and, for some reason, it only triggers in the one where I kept Iselmyr around; in the other games, his negative disposition conversations end quickly and abruptly. Not sure if that's intended or a bug.

Probably intended. In that conversation it looks like she's the one who pretty much calls him out on it. Without that push he probably suppresses it ala usual.

I'm pretty sure dialogue file (companion_aloth_relationship_player) has rivalmance lines for suppressed Iselmyr aswell. Can't try it ingame though yet :(

• Like 1

Maia is really cool actually. She is super level-headed as long as you steer away from anti-Rautai responses. Thankfully, the game gives you neutral options.

The only problem I see is that Rautai is preparing an invasion and Maia is part of it. So as great as her character is you can't really shake that feeling off.

I think its possible to keep Maia without siding with Rautai in some endings? 

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I'm pretty sure dialogue file (companion_aloth_relationship_player) has rivalmance lines for suppressed Iselmyr aswell. Can't try it ingame though yet :(

Hmm I wonder if its another insight check then?

Maia is really cool actually. She is super level-headed as long as you steer away from anti-Rautai responses. Thankfully, the game gives you neutral options.

The only problem I see is that Rautai is preparing an invasion and Maia is part of it. So as great as her character is you can't really shake that feeling off.

Yeah it looks like as long as you don't side with anyone who personally hurts the Rautai she sticks with you.

Edited by Ryz009

I have max insight, so it's not that. I think the dialogue is just bugged. I wish I knew enough about game code to work out where the actual text for that exchange is in the files. Things were so simple back in the BG2 days...  :grin:

• Like 3

I have max insight, so it's not that. I think the dialogue is just bugged. I wish I knew enough about game code to work out where the actual text for that exchange is in the files. Things were so simple back in the BG2 days...  :grin:

Yeah that's the one thing I'll always love about Skyrim the devs really made the game so you can somewhat easily check its guts. It's a nice thing.

She's the best companion so far for me. I'm not currently romancing her, but after running into her exes and Prince Ahuiri hitting on her (it sounded like that, lol) while turning in a quest, I'm going to have to in a replay just so all the awkward moments feels even more awkward.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Well her good ending seems to be her complaining about Rauatai's unethical methods used in Deadfire and leader of Rauatai listening to those complaints. She is kinda weird in that she is willing to do horrible things for her country even if she doesn't like it

• Like 1

Yeah, tried that too and both -1 and -2 rep dialogs just end after the first phrase. That definitely shouldn't work like that. My question is, is this a bug or did I mess things up with nexus mod somehow (triggering those convos too early for example?). Dunno :(

I always wonder, why we can have homosexual romance in game but not harem? :D

Harems are much more difficult to implement on a technical level unless your different lovers just ignore each other, which kind of takes the fun out of it IMHO. (Jade Empire lets you sleep with both girls, but BioWare have talked about how difficult it would be to program a proper, ongoing poly relationship.)

• Like 1

Well her good ending seems to be her complaining about Rauatai's unethical methods used in Deadfire and leader of Rauatai listening to those complaints. She is kinda weird in that she is willing to do horrible things for her country even if she doesn't like it

She is a soldier loyal to her nation to a fault, so I suppose that attitude comes with the job, can't really fault her for that.

Come to think of it, funny how Kana presented Rautai in the first POE, it felt almost magical, and when you get to Deadfire all you see is overbearing conqueror with heavy guns and national anthems destroying the natural beauty of Huana islands. Huana caste system is terrible and doesn't work well on a large scale, but I kinda like how the islands live in harmony with nature.

• Like 6
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

She is a soldier loyal to her nation to a fault, so I suppose that attitude comes with the job, can't really fault her for that.

Come to think of it, funny how Kana presented Rautai in the first POE, it felt almost magical, and when you get to Deadfire all you see is overbearing conqueror with heavy guns and national anthems destroying the natural beauty of Huana islands. Huana caste system is terrible and doesn't work well on a large scale, but I kinda like how the islands live in harmony with nature.

Yeah. It does make sense though since both Kana and Maia are really patriotic so of course they see Rauatai in really positive light, but to be fair it IS possible that Rauatai's officials in Deadfire honestly are more scummy than rest of Rauatai in general. I would guess that regardless, Rauatai IS conquering nation flaunting how big guns it has even if most of them aren't as dishonorable and unethical as Astura and Haza Nui Karu(spelling?)

• Like 3

Heh, i think its more because Kana is very idealistic and very impressionable in POE1, so he saw everything is rose-tinted glasses, until a certain point in any case.

Rauatai has indentured service, which is pretty much slavery no matter how you call it. And there is this little conversation with Orlan peddler mentioning that it had always been a conqueror. So you know, any nation which has that much firepower and that long history of subjucating others probably doesn't have a very noble leadership, no matter how many good people may be underneath it. I am sure not all of them are bad, but most probably are.

I think what I am getting at here is the more you brainwash people into unwavering loyalty the more unethical practices you can afford because there will be no-one to keep you in check from below.

PS: I still love Maia though :D

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 4

I was thinking about this too, it's a pretty neat thing I think. Like, in PoE1 I always felt that the view of Rauatai felt sorta... fragmented, because you have Kana talking about it. Kana is just extremely likeable and sorta easy-going, but keeps mentioning how Rauatai likes their cannons and all that. But it's obviously home to him and he adores it in some way.

And then you see the "other side" of it in Deadfire. I thought that was really cool. Suddenly, Kana's struggle felt a great deal more real in retrospect.

• Like 4

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yeah, to be honest by Kana's stories I imagined Rauatai similar to Huana islands but with more ships and lots of canons. It was a cool move to give us an idealistic companion with a skewed view and then to present a harsh reality.

(now i only wish someone told me how the homes of Pale Elves looked)

• Like 1

Yeah, to be honest by Kana's stories I imagined Rauatai similar to Huana islands but with more ships and lots of canons. It was a cool move to give us an idealistic companion with a skewed view and then to present a harsh reality.

I really hope we go there in the next game. Well if there's a POE3. (Pale elf home I mean not Rautai)

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1

I really hope we go there in the next game. Well if there's a POE3.

Booring and too many aumaua again. Better go to the Living Lands with crazy geography and fantastical things to explore.

Edited by Aramintai

Booring and too many aumaua again. Better go to the Living Lands with crazy geography and fantastical things to explore.

wait I meant the living lands cause that's how the pale elves are. xD

Edit: and I've been corrected that's white that wends. Yeah I rather go to that frost dump :p

Edited by Ryz009

Aren't Pale Elves from The White that Wends?

• Like 1

Aren't Pale Elves from The White that Wends?

*facepalms at self*

Wait no I got the two mixed up. Thankfully my pale elf's origin is right :p

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 2

Haha yeah its White that Wends.

I have a thing for arctic regions too. A lot of people hate Hoth in SWTOR but its one of my favorite planets :) I'd love it if the next game was set there, but not holding my breath. I think it will probably be Ixamitl planes or Old Vailia. I think Living Lands are a bit too similar to Dyrwood in terms of foresty areas? 

From what we saw in POE1 pale elves and their culture just feel so... surreal. Naasitaq is based on Inuit tribes so its kind of easy to imagine. Pale elves are completely unknown. I wish their reactivity in Deadfire was a bit more interesting though, other than "hardy place hardy people" thing.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 3

*facepalms at self*

Wait no I got the two mixed up. Thankfully my pale elf's origin is right :p

I've been seeing a lot more people playing Pale Elves this time around ;D

I'm pretty excited since in the Season Pass it seems like something Rymrgand related, so hopefully get some more Pale Elf related lore (In the first we just got that tiny smidge from the elves at Noonfrost)

I look forward to companion reactions to being dragged somewhere cold again

• Like 1

Haha yeah its White that Wends.

I have a thing for arctic regions too. A lot of people hate Hoth in SWTOR but its one of my favorite planets :) I'd love it if the next game was set there, but not holding my breath. I think it will probably be Ixamitl planes or Old Vailia. I think Living Lands are a bit too similar to Dyrwood in terms of foresty areas? 

From what we saw in POE1 pale elves and their culture just feel so... surreal. Naasitaq is based on Inuit tribes so its kind of easy to imagine. Pale elves are completely unknown. I wish their reactivity in Deadfire was a bit more interesting though, other than "hardy place hardy people" thing.

White that Wends is double boring - freezing wasteland of nothing but snow for miles ahead.

Living Lands on the other hand, are very diverse and awesome sequel material:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Living_Lands

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/True_Stories_from_the_Living_Lands

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1