Funny, I was just listening to those too. Eder made me cringe so hard in that dialogue, when he says to the Watcher, that Aloth is no fun anymore, because he doesn't stand with his mouth agape like he used to five years ago, or does not twitch nervously when Eder is playing jokes on him. And the way he keeps bringing Iselmyr forth when Aloth specifically asks him not to. Just ugh.

Those made me cringe too. Then there's his conversation with Tekehu about a practical joke which involved cruelty to some poor little fish. Eder thinks it's hilarious. Are fish not animals? What the heck, Eder?

Never found a use for this tablet anywhere, or how to decipher it though. But then again, I wasn't using Rekke in my party at all, maybe there is way to give it to him.

That is exactly what you can do with it.

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 4

Funny, I was just listening to those too. Eder made me cringe so hard in that dialogue, when he says to the Watcher, that Aloth is no fun anymore, because he doesn't stand with his mouth agape like he used to five years ago, or does not twitch nervously when Eder is playing jokes on him. And the way he keeps bringing Iselmyr forth when Aloth specifically asks him not to. Just ugh.

Those made me cringe too. Then there's his conversation with Tekehu about a practical joke which involved cruelty to some poor little fish, which Eder thinks is hilarious. Are fish not animals? What the heck, Eder?

Yea, he sure can be a real dumb ass. Not only is he dense, which many people point out, but also lacks empathy it seems.

• Like 4

Btw, I checked with Rekke - you can actually talk to him and he somehow already learned Aedyran. You can give him the tablet and it's just some document about a horse, nothing interesting. Also, it turns out he's a missionary who sailed to Deadfire to teach about a God (not the Gods), but seeing his home is called Yezuha I can already image what god  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Also, it turns out he's a missionary who sailed to Deadfire to teach about a God (not the Gods), but seeing his home is called Yezuha I can already image what god  :rolleyes:

The flying purple spaghetti monster?

If you picture Jesus like that, sure  :rolleyes:

There's this tablet that you can buy in Fort Maje (?) from one of the vendors:

Yeah, pretty sure I didn't buy it, so I guess he learns Aedyran from the crew.

Also, about those datamined banters: I hope they fix the pacing, because I got first talk between Pallegina and Tekehu (the one where he puts Ondra figurine in her backpack), but not the following ones, and I had them in my party together for pretty much half of the game. So that's really disappointing. Or is it supposed to be tied to their dispositions towards each other? Like that conversation about figurine triggered when Pallegina had -1 with Tekehu, and he had +1 with her. Should Pallegina change her opinion about him before the second conversation could trigger, or is it time-gated? I am really confused. 

Also, about those datamined banters: I hope they fix the pacing, because I got first talk between Pallegina and Tekehu (the one where he puts Ondra figurine in her backpack), but not the following ones, and I had them in my party together for pretty much half of the game. So that's really disappointing. Or is it supposed to be tied to their dispositions towards each other? Like that conversation about figurine triggered when Pallegina had -1 with Tekehu, and he had +1 with her. Should Pallegina change her opinion about him before the second conversation could trigger, or is it time-gated? I am really confused. 

It's also a bug that will be fixed later. It's the same as Xoti having a spat with Pallegina immediately after you recruit her, or some companions starting sexual advances dialogue with the Watcher too early - whole relationship system is bugged.

Edited by Aramintai

Personality is not enough, despite what our fondest wishest might tell us. Sometimes "not being someone's type" can involve intrinsic characteristics you can't change.

Like being a wandering murderhobo who attracts natural disasters, speaks with ghosts, and could conceivably go barking mad at any moment.

And yet, in regards to romance, every other character doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about the player's gender, race, past history, and so forth, but suddenly when it comes to Eder then it's "Oh but he can't feel that way due to something totally irrelevant".

To me it just seems like they didn't want to give in to the fans even when what they were going to "give in to" made complete sense and fit in perfectly.

Particularly when all through the first game he was consistently the one who picked the Watcher up when they fell, woke them from bad dreams, and (along with Aloth) shows the growing emotional attachment over time.

I understand that sometimes people may “just not be that into someone” tm... but he REALLY doesn’t act like a bro who has nothing but platonic possibilities towards the Watcher. Pallegina? Definitely. Most of the other companions in fact. But Edér and Aloth certainly show an emotional attachment that *could* be construed as ‘pre-romantic’ feelings.

• Like 6

Personality is not enough, despite what our fondest wishest might tell us. Sometimes "not being someone's type" can involve intrinsic characteristics you can't change.

Like being a wandering murderhobo who attracts natural disasters, speaks with ghosts, and could conceivably go barking mad at any moment.

And yet, in regards to romance, every other character doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about the player's gender, race, past history, and so forth, but suddenly when it comes to Eder then it's "Oh but he can't feel that way due to something totally irrelevant".

To me it just seems like they didn't want to give in to the fans even when what they were going to "give in to" made complete sense and fit in perfectly.

Particularly when all through the first game he was consistently the one who picked the Watcher up when they fell, woke them from bad dreams, and (along with Aloth) shows the growing emotional attachment over time.

I understand that sometimes people may “just not be that into someone” tm... but he REALLY doesn’t act like a bro who has nothing but platonic possibilities towards the Watcher. Pallegina? Definitely. Most of the other companions in fact. But Edér and Aloth certainly show an emotional attachment that *could* be construed as ‘pre-romantic’ feelings.

Well, devs gave in to something though - a cringy Eder/Iselmyr fanfic turned cruel joke, of all things :rolleyes:. Just watch one of the videos I posted above.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 2

Okay, so I've noticed something in Pallegina's ending slides. These two:

hGhW7JZ.jpg

LA4qZZt.jpg

The first paragraphs are the same, but the second ones are not. "Their close relationship causes friction with the duchess' husband ... His impotent annoyance becomes the subject of courtly gossip". Uh, wait, what? Is that what I think it is? 

Also, I have no idea what conditions for these endings are.

• Like 2

Think about it, Edér falling for a woman in a man's body. Just the thought of how revolting this could be for some. And you can already hear the word in your mind.

Well, this is sort of revolting, but not for the reasons you stated. By "Aloth is rather unenthused about this and talks to you about it" I can only surmise that he is an unwilling participant in this little threesome, which is obviously not okay.

Exactly! I’m not at all concerned/squicked by the cross gender implications... I’m REALLY squicked by both Edér and Iselmyr being quite happy to contemplate what essentially amounts to raping Iselmyrs “meat suit”. I’m kinda grossed out with both characters now, and feel even more inclined to encourage Aloth to take the ‘suppress’ path next time.

• Like 9

oh god that romance mod. Then there's a Skyrim romance mod that pretty much ripped off that which *shudders*

Bishop as a romance could work...but not that way good grief.

I was fine with it because the gods are ridiculously petty creatures with few exceptions. Them nosing themselves into the Watcher's business fits them perfectly.

I don't mind sappy love stories when they fit the characters, but turning Bishop from Chaotic evil **** to a doormat wasn't the best of choices.

You may be right about the gods. I didn't mind it as much as was surprised by all the attention, especially since the gods didn't meddle much in the first game. But I guess since our Watcher opened that can of worms he/she now has to live with the consequences. Its like a personal god retinue around them in addition to all those spirits.

But I get the sentiment. I would put down money for an 'expanded ranger pet variations' thing. Let my pale elf ranger have a snow leopard, dammit  :(

I would definitely spend much more than I would dare to admit on this :D

As would I... as long as the added romances didn’t go down like Vega from ME... seriously, what’s with devs thinking that kinda thing is in any way appealing?! *shudder*

Exactly! I’m not at all concerned/squicked by the cross gender implications... I’m REALLY squicked by both Edér and Iselmyr being quite happy to contemplate what essentially amounts to raping Iselmyrs “meat suit”. I’m kinda grossed out with both characters now, and feel even more inclined to encourage Aloth to take the ‘suppress’ path next time.

For what it's worth, I've listened to that banter, and while Eder is definitely crushing hard on Iselmyr, it doesn't seem like to her it's anything more than one of her stupid pranks, this time both on Aloth AND Eder. Because when Eder asks what does Aloth think about them together, and she replies that Aloth wants only happiness for her, I honestly lol'd. Heck, he's getting annoyed even when she comes out just to talk to Eder and repeatedly asks him not to encourage her. And after all that she says: "Ooh, yer face, Edér! Only thing finer'n seeing it is feeling this lad's ire!". It's only my interpretation, of course, so take it for what you will. 

That being said, I find myself liking Eder a lot less. Not for being fond of Iselmyr, just for being this dense and obviously lacking some basic empathy.

Welp, all more reason for me to suppress her in my playthroughs, I guess (like I imagine her constant yapping in Aloth's head and trying to assume direct control of his body wasn't enough already :D ).

Edited by CaptainBiscuit
  • Like 6

Also I'm wondering if anyone else has had the event where a drunken crewmember knocks on the Watcher's door asking for sex?  Apparently everyone on that ship wants the Watcher except for Eder and Pallegina. :p

I finally got that event, but the only drunk on my ship was 70-something Eld Elgrim who babysits Vela, so it was extra skeezy. :unsure: 

The only crew member I wish would proposition my Watcher is Caergr the Pale Elf, and he is marked "ascetic". :facepalm:

• Like 3

The realism argument I don't get but then I am lgbt so I guess I struggle to relate to a "there are too many gays in this piece of media!" kinda thing. Like ok sure lets assume that bisexual people are as rare as in the real world (which is probably not as rare as a lot of straight people seem to think). That doesn't mean that any specific group of people are going to be representative of statistics based on the entirity of society. Four bi people just happening to be on the same boat is not some statistical impossibility. It's unlikely but unlilkely things happen all the time. Apparently all these characters were made bi by their writers and there wasn't any kind of sexuality quota. That's unlikely too but it happened.

In college a quarter of my class were openly and legitimately LGBT. And I was studying Psychology, not queer studies or something. And as us gays all know, there are also TONS of bi or curious people on the down low. Tons. Y’all really have no idea.

• Like 5

The realism argument I don't get but then I am lgbt so I guess I struggle to relate to a "there are too many gays in this piece of media!" kinda thing. Like ok sure lets assume that bisexual people are as rare as in the real world (which is probably not as rare as a lot of straight people seem to think). That doesn't mean that any specific group of people are going to be representative of statistics based on the entirity of society. Four bi people just happening to be on the same boat is not some statistical impossibility. It's unlikely but unlilkely things happen all the time. Apparently all these characters were made bi by their writers and there wasn't any kind of sexuality quota. That's unlikely too but it happened.

In college a quarter of my class were openly and legitimately LGBT. And I was studying Psychology, not queer studies or something. And as us gays all know, there are also TONS of bi or curious people on the down low. Tons. Y’all really have no idea.

Of course, anecdotes trump statistics 99% of the time.

• Like 2

Of course, anecdotes trump statistics 99% of the time.

Isn't the statistic 20-25% which is pretty much "a quarter"?

Note that I'm asking, because I remember someone saying that somewhere, I never bothered checking the real statistic.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I say we meet midway. No lesbian couple. Gay only, and Serafen gets a full romance.

that doesn't make sense...or I need more coffee . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

It seems like with my pro-Leaden Key Iselmyr-present Aloth his approval 2 dialogue will never trigger. Must be another bug. His approval 1 talk triggers when he hits 2 approval but nothing else. But in my suppressed Iselmyr, anti-Leaden Key game his talks work correctly. So I'm not sure if it's Iselmyr or his Leaden Key position that is messing it up.

It's his conflicting dispositions - Autonomy and Authoritarianism. He shouldn't have both. It's an import bug as was confirmed in the latest stream.

SOB...I will have to restart yet again when the patch comes out, because I definitely have this issue.  I have been pretty critical of the companions writing, but I'd really like to see whether I feel like they're more chatty and reactive when less buggy.  

I had finally settled down with a character, after restarting about five million times, and got fairly far...but if I can get dialogue to fire correctly, I'd really like to start over and see how it goes.  

• Like 1

Wow. Apparently Aloth also has a dialog for MINUS 2 rep which can go quite romantic. You can kiss him and he's all confused, angry yet still certainly cares. It doesn't end very well (he always just says that maybe after you deal with Eothas and everything you could think of it again) but the scene itself... I somehow liked it too much. His response to you also changes. Not sure if there's any more content but now I'm tempted to try this "route" till the end more than I should be  :huh:

• Like 3

Wow. Apparently Aloth also has a dialog for MINUS 2 rep which can go quite romantic. You can kiss him and he's all confused, angry yet still certainly cares. It doesn't end very well (he always just says that maybe after you deal with Eothas and everything you could think of it again) but the scene itself... I somehow liked it too much. His response to you also changes. Not sure if there's any more content but now I'm tempted to try this "route" till the end more than I should be  :huh:

Nice find! Any chance you can post a screenshot of it here? :3