This is so weird... I am playing passionate/clever/kind character who becomes serious and takes responsibility when its required, but basically making jokes of everything. Aloth is pro Leaden Key and he is at 1 approval for me. Definitely must be a bug, or a way you pursue your conversations. I can't shake the feeling there is something hidden there beyond obvious alignment approvals.

I think he doesn't like jokes, seeing it being irresponsible. Unfortunately his disapproval of that is rarely shown by a tooltip.

I can't get Aloth above zero.

I've just managed to finally move Aloth from zero... to -1. Yay I guess. At least now I know he is not bugged for me. But honestly, why does he hate everything and everyone this time around? 

lmao I managed that too but I'm sure he's still bugged because I did like 5 stewardship options in a row and he didn't move.

I swear to god if he's coded to disapprove of every snarky comment I might strangle him. My Watcher has been snarky from the start this isn't new to him.

I had the fastest Aloth approval gains on my benevolent/diplomatic character; those choices seem to mesh with "dutiful" very well.

I don't wanna play boring PC though T_T I mean at the very least they could show him disapproving of the clever options. I don't even get that much.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1

I had the fastest Aloth approval gains on my benevolent/diplomatic character; those choices seem to mesh with "dutiful" very well.

Same. Any options that are good/no violence/respectful approach work well with him. He has a good heart under all that fidgeting. 

This is so weird... I am playing passionate/clever/kind character who becomes serious and takes responsibility when its required, but basically making jokes of everything. Aloth is pro Leaden Key and he is at 1 approval for me. Definitely must be a bug, or a way you pursue your conversations. I can't shake the feeling there is something hidden there beyond obvious alignment approvals.

I think he doesn't like jokes, seeing it being irresponsible. Unfortunately his disapproval of that is rarely shown by a tooltip.

Ahh I see. I thought it depended on the joke and the situation, but you may be right. I'll have to try being more stoic. That would mean Eder will be stuck at 0 though :( This is so contra-intuitive. I wish Eder, Aloth, and Pallegina had some bonuses with the Watcher. It makes no sense that they would be so neutral to you after all you've been through together.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 3
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I do think that relationship system is bugged, or at least different biases have different weights. Xoti gets to -1/-2(forgot which) instantly with Pallegina if you talk to Pallegina about her opinion on Gods while Xoti is in party instantly triggering Xoti vs Pallegina argument after you leave conversation <_< I also never got Aloth over +1 score.

That said, I don't think you need to get best relationship scores for best companion endings? Not really sure

Ahh I see. I thought it depended on the joke and the situation, but you may be right. I'll have to try being more stoic. That would mean Eder will be stuck at 0 though :( This is so contra-intuitive.

Funny thing is, while Aloth and Eder are programmed to like different things they get along just fine in my game (both have +1 rep with each other). Eder jokes all the time and somehow that's OK, but if it's me, Serafen or Tekehu Aloth just can't take it. 

So right now the only ones who dislike me on the faction wheel are Aloth and those criminal scums in Delver's Row. I hope he is feeling cozy in their company. 

Edited by Yria
  • Like 2

Ahh I see. I thought it depended on the joke and the situation, but you may be right. I'll have to try being more stoic. That would mean Eder will be stuck at 0 though :( This is so contra-intuitive.

Funny thing is, while Aloth and Eder are programmed to like different things they get along just fine in my game (both have +1 rep with each other). Eder jokes all the time and somehow that's OK, but if it's me, Serafen or Tekehu Aloth just can't take it. 

So right now the only ones who dislike me on the faction wheel are Aloth and those criminal scums in Delver's Row. I hope he is feeling cozy in their company. 

It's probably Iselmyr subtly influencing Aloth to enjoy Eder's company in spite of Aloth's natural instincts.

Shhh, let me headcanon this to make sense.

• Like 1

Same. Any options that are good/no violence/respectful approach work well with him. He has a good heart under all that fidgeting. 

Ahh I see. I thought it depended on the joke and the situation, but you may be right. I'll have to try being more stoic. That would mean Eder will be stuck at 0 though :( This is so contra-intuitive. I wish Eder, Aloth, and Pallegina had some bonuses with the Watcher. It makes no sense that they would be so neutral to you after all you've been through together.

It also would be a cool POE throwback if they didn't give you crap for the dispositions you already had. (Unless obviously it was cruel/aggressive).

Btw, there is a way to see actual approval scores with Nexus mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2

After installing it you go to your reputation tab and you can see how many points each character has with you on the console. You can raise and lower rep for each character however you want. I used it earlier to give Aloth rep of 2.

• Like 2

Anyway, on Aloth's irresponsibility bias: Its not that Aloth is anti jokes, he is anti... Well, if you take Tekehu and Aloth to Wild Mare and talk to owner, Aloth gets bias triggered on every story owner tells of what Tekehu did while drunk there. Aloth isn't anti jokes, he is as it said, anti acting in irresponsible manner. When you meet him first time, he is avoiding his responsibilities as watershaper in order to do what he considers artistic stuff so that annoys Aloth along with that Aloth dislikes pride. Aloth doesn't get angry at Xoti and Eder for joking and he doesn't get angry at Serefen or Tekehu at joking, he gets angry at Serefen and Tekehu avoiding responsibilities

Edited by BrokenMask

If you have Aloth as pro Leaden Key Eder gets -1 with him, which makes me cry a little inside. I even got a conversation with Eder about it and he got suspicious of Aloth. Come on seriously! You've been together for so long and you STILL haven't figured out that our Aloth couldn't hurt a fly? At least not intentionally. 

Btw, there is a way to see actual approval scores with Nexus mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2

After installing it you go to your reputation tab and you can see how many points each character has with you on the console. You can raise and lower rep for each character however you want. I used it earlier to give Aloth rep of 2.

That will help a ton, thank you!

• Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Aloth doesn't get angry at Xoti and Eder for joking and he doesn't get angry at Serefen or Tekehu at joking, he gets angry at Serefen and Tekehu avoiding responsibilities

That's BS on his part, because it definitely seems that he singles out Watcher's jokes as being bad.

Anyway there's barely anything he likes and even then it's a slow slog.

• Like 3

Aloth doesn't get angry at Xoti and Eder for joking and he doesn't get angry at Serefen or Tekehu at joking, he gets angry at Serefen and Tekehu avoiding responsibilities

That's BS on his part, because it definitely seems that he singles out Watcher's jokes as being bad.

Hmm, I've never got Aloth's having negative reaction at Watcher's jokes. Maybe its depends on what situation you are making jokes about or context of the jokes?

If you have Aloth as pro Leaden Key Eder gets -1 with him, which makes me cry a little inside. I even got a conversation with Eder about it and he got suspicious of Aloth. Come on seriously! You've been together for so long and you STILL haven't figured out that our Aloth couldn't hurt a fly? At least not intentionally. 

Aside from all the fireballs he loves to drop on Eder and Pallegina in my party. XD

• Like 1

Hmm, I've never got Aloth's having negative reaction at Watcher's jokes. Maybe its depends on what situation you are making jokes about or context of the jokes?

I wish I knew, maybe if somebody tested how his rep changes with each joke through that Nexus mod we'd get more info as to what the ef is wrong with him.

Disappointed about Eder. :( but whatever. Teku is very pretty, I'm jealous he gets to shift into a shark.

Aloth is for sure a romance? I have insight so I used those when we were first on the boat. I'm still early in the game so I'm a little worried about how I will know when his romance starts. Any tips?

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I'm personally surprised that Aloth (who is an elf) has less dialogues then Eder (who is a farmer  :p ) . It's a shame , cose elf look so goood . And I do like someone who is smart into wizard stuff and the like (not gonna romance him) .You know someone you can nerd with ! 

Eder is your warrior become militia wished he could be a priest but wasn't cut for it love cheese and beer commoner boring . 

Don't kill meh . I'm just wondering why bring him back at all (Aloth) if it's to give him as little as you can in dialogue , is all . 

I like Xoti . And Maia . But Xoti more since she doesn't seem to be tied to any faction . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

There's a sort of lock-in point for the romance during your conversation with Aloth at +2 rep. It's... fairly obvious. (Hint: kiss the guy!)

I never got that option so I guess I have to restart the game. DX

Just throwing this out there if someone wants to give it a try...  I ran across a possible way to farm approval points from both Aloth and Pallegina during the same conversation.  It's during the quest A Tidy Performance.  You get the quest on Dunnage from the stage performers in the Radiant Court section.  During the quest you have to talk to Harker, the owner of King's Coffin about paying off Taerna's debit.  When you talk to Harker just pick pay off 700 debt, both Aloth and Pallegina will approve.  Harker will then raise the amount, just end the dialogue.  Start the conversation again, picking the 700 debt and Aloth and Pallegina will approve again, rise, repeat.  Aloth started his level 2 approval conversation because of this.  If someone wants to try it to confirm, I reloaded because I didn't want to start the romance then, plus it's an exploit, but now I'm kinda wishing I kept it.  

Also I'm wondering if anyone else has had the event where a drunken crewmember knocks on the Watcher's door asking for sex?  Apparently everyone on that ship wants the Watcher except for Eder and Pallegina. :p

• Like 2

I liked how the game handled the character sexualities. Each of them make it clear that like both men and women without it feeling forced and without resorting to falling back on the promiscuity stereotype. Special mention goes to Maia here, don't think I've seen a bisexual character handled that much to my liking in a game before and they really hit the nail on the head. It's also nice to see male characters being so open about it, since it's usually reserved for women. Tekehu coming onto the protagonist so strongly regardless of gender was a nice touch too, since it seems like a lot of games are scared of doing that since the whole Anders debacle in DA2. 

I have to say though, the fact that as far as I can tell almost every crew member you recruit in the world apparently wants to ride the Watcher regardless of gender was as bizarre as it was hilarious. Between the Aumaua women who was discharged for beating up her former captain storming into his room, stripping off and demanding they slept together and the creepy, hideous old dude asking to sleep with him I really felt for my poor Orlan watcher. 

• Like 1