Does anyone know for sure is Aloth romance available for men or not?

We can meet his former male lover, so it seems like he should be...

But the information is controversial, and I don't know if my Watcher should wait for him or go for Mia (or none and just enjoy friendship and story :D)

My Eder is pro-eothas and Xoti is still too much for him. I doubt it actually goes anywhere. I've seen no evidence that her feelings are reciprocated, which is backed up by what others have told me.

Huh so much for that theory. Well in that case he's just done with romance and can you really blame him? :p Edited by Ryz009

So I went digging through the companion data text files out of curiosity, and Eder is definitely not player romance-able, which is gonna be a major bummer to a lot of people. He also doesn't get together with Xoti, it seems, which will cheer everyone up again until the read the next part.

... He can, however, and as a disclaimer I haven't gotten it to trigger in-game yet so I don't know if this is actually implemented or not, but he can get together with

Iselmyr, even though she's in Aloth's body. Aloth is rather unenthused about this and talks to you about it. Personally, I think that's a bit icky for poor Aloth. Also, Eder constantly states he doesn't like dudes, and Iselmyr is kinda permanently in a man's body as a secondary personality. >.>

Poor Watcher tho, no Eder for him/her. :p

Whaa?  How the heck is that supposed to even kinda, sorta work?

Seriously wtf. Guess I'll never see it because I always have Aloth suppress her.

• Like 1

I'd rather find a way to suppress Aloth, especially after hearing him talk about what he's been up to for the last five years. Iselmyr seems useful and fun. Aloth is a blithering, judgemental idiot.

• Like 1

Oh man, always this drama about romances in a video game.

I see it that way, that romances are a topic where the developers simply cannot win/gain anything. They can only lose because no matter what they do, they cannot cater to all tastes, likes and preferences equally. Mind you not only the sexual preferences, but everything that involves the broader topic of romances.

In this specific instance there seems that a certain character is not available for romance (though I guess it's not 100% verified yet). Rejection hurts, doesn't it? Even if its just by a fictitious character.

Remember Pillars of Eternity 1, where there were no romances at all?

Well seems almost better that way, doesn't it? Because then it's equal for everyone. Nobody will be able to romance any of the NPCs then. But now in Deadfire romances have been introduced, but Edér doesn't seem to be available. Well, shame on the developers!

As I see it, the developers were very reluctant to introduce romances to the game series. I may have my suspicions as to why.

All that drama that romances bring. Of course, the drama also happens when you don't include any romances. People will be outraged. So you introduce romances and you hope you will appease people. Oh no ho ho ho, you couldn't have been more wrong!

Now people will be enraged because not every single possible preferences (and again I'm not only talking about sexual preference) was included: Edér doesn't seem to be romanceable.

Must be an agenda by the devs. How dare they to not cater to my needs? It must be because they want to teach me a lesson! How dare they to teach me a lesson?!

That's the great irony of the topic of romance. It creates so much fury, hate, frustration, resentment and contempt that in the end I think any reasonable developer would have to wonder if it's worth it. But don't expect any less contempt when you don't include them in the first place. People will always find a reason to make the devs lose on this topic, no matter what they do.

As always, just my subjective opinion, which you may or may not agree to. :)

While I certainly agree in general that not including romances is not a slap in the face, this particular romance was the most asked for. Making it one of the only two that is not available is a poor reading of their playerbase at the least. This is especially true since as mentioned his reasoning is he's not in the right mindspace right now, which is clearly an excuse on the character's part/writers not being able to come up with a better reason seeing as he gets with apparently another party member. It's super weird to take one of the most requested romances and say not only can you not romance them, but this npc can.

Edited by Elarie
  • Like 5

Guest Ontarah

How anybody figured out what that "Serafen is romanceable but there isn't a full romance" thing floating around on various sites means?

How anybody figured out what that "Serafen is romanceable but there isn't a full romance" thing floating around on various sites means?

Based on the character, likely that he will give (or take) a few thrusts, but long term romance isn't a thing he does.

Which, if you go through Fort Deadlight with him, isn't at all surprising.

Edited by Voss

So I went digging through the companion data text files out of curiosity, and Eder is definitely not player romance-able, which is gonna be a major bummer to a lot of people. He also doesn't get together with Xoti, it seems, which will cheer everyone up again until the read the next part.

... He can, however, and as a disclaimer I haven't gotten it to trigger in-game yet so I don't know if this is actually implemented or not, but he can get together with

Iselmyr, even though she's in Aloth's body. Aloth is rather unenthused about this and talks to you about it. Personally, I think that's a bit icky for poor Aloth. Also, Eder constantly states he doesn't like dudes, and Iselmyr is kinda permanently in a man's body as a secondary personality. >.>

Whaaaaat. Okay, I'm perfectly fine with Eder not being an option for the Watcher, but THIS (if true) really does seem like trolling on the devs' part. What the heck. 

• Like 5

Whaaaaat. Okay, I'm perfectly fine with Eder not being an option for the Watcher, but THIS (if true) really does seem like trolling on the devs' part. What the heck. 

It's in the game data! I dunno the rules on image linking on this forum, but I can screenshot all the Eder/Iselmyr stuff and chuck it in an Imgur gallery or give you the directions to the data file itself for you to read if you need the proof.

• Like 1

It's in the game data! I dunno the rules on image linking on this forum, but I can screenshot all the Eder/Iselmyr stuff and chuck it in an Imgur gallery or give you the directions to the data file itself for you to read if you need the proof.

What I meant was "If this actually triggers in the game and isn't just sitting there in the files for no real reason", not that you lied, sorry for not being clear. 

What I meant was "If this actually triggers in the game and isn't just sitting there in the files for no real reason", not that you lied, sorry for not being clear. 

Oh! All good, my apologies also for misunderstanding. :D

It that would include the dialogue that could actually be quite interesting.

While I certainly agree in general that not including romances is not a slap in the face, this particular romance was the most asked for. Making it one of the only two that is not available is a poor reading of their playerbase at the least. This is especially true since as mentioned his reasoning is he's not in the right mindspace right now, which is clearly an excuse on the character's part/writers not being able to come up with a better reason seeing as he gets with apparently another party member. It's super weird to take one of the most requested romances and say not only can you not romance them, but this npc can.

I've couldn't say better

it's really super weird, but now I have a thought: what if the developers planing to make pallegina and eder romanceable in the dlc/next game? you know, to motivate players to donate =/

if so, I'm even more disappointed 

• Like 1

Guest Ontarah

I believe you (meaning LittleKestrel) but even just a rough description of what you did to find the game files in question would be interesting.  I would not mind poking around in there myself. 

Edited by Ontarah

It that would include the dialogue that could actually be quite interesting.

Seconded! Especially if we don't know if it's in the game for sure

Omg, I love this! That's hilarious! If that is true, kudos to the devs! And I find that a very interesting way of exploring some romantic themes which better not be labeled. If you labeled that with terms from our world that would create a lot of hate and outrage.

But to explore that possibility in Deadfire in this way. If that is really true, then that's a huge WOW for me. I would really love and respect that, that the devs would (dare) go there.

Think about it, Edér falling for a woman in a man's body. Just the thought of how revolting this could be for some. And you can already hear the word in your mind.

If this is true, it's just a matter of "when" not "if" the devs will be accused of having (yet another)... AGENDA

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I'd rather find a way to suppress Aloth, especially after hearing him talk about what he's been up to for the last five years. Iselmyr seems useful and fun. Aloth is a blithering, judgemental idiot.

Eh I made him the leader of the Leaden Key and he seems fine to me?

Oop, I just sent Ontarah a message about this because I was still locked by the 5 posts per day thing at the time but it looks like it's been cleared up! The files are located in PillarsOfEternityII_Data > exported > localized > en > text > conversations > companions and then the file name is companion_relationship_aloth_eder

You can open it up in Notepad if that's all you have, though the formatting is a bit janky.

Edited by LittleKestrel
  • Like 2

Think about it, Edér falling for a woman in a man's body. Just the thought of how revolting this could be for some. And you can already hear the word in your mind.

Well, this is sort of revolting, but not for the reasons you stated. By "Aloth is rather unenthused about this and talks to you about it" I can only surmise that he is an unwilling participant in this little threesome, which is obviously not okay.

Edited by CaptainBiscuit
  • Like 3

If I remember correctly the devs said that they did romances for the NPCs that the respective authors felt "right" to do. Actually I respect that. And I respect it all the more because I think they show backbone by not giving in to "popular demand".

How do you think a romance with a character would turn out to be if the author of that character didn't feel it at all?

It never ceases to amaze me. 

It doesn't surprise me or bother me in the least that Eder is not attracted to the Watcher (regardless of gender). It's easy to understand that he simply may not be attracted to your character for whatever reason. It happens all the time in both life and fiction that characters aren't always attracted to one another and attraction, interest and/or love are not always reciprocated. 

The same is true of any companion that isn't interested in the Watcher, why do they have to be? You can pine after whomever you want it doesn't always mean they're going to be open to a relationship. 

And then he potentially goes and hooks up with someone who is at best an occasional consciousness in a man's body, so he was either lying to the watcher about his reasons (which is a mean thing to do to someone you respect) or he has been inconsistently written, both of which some people may see as narratively frustrating.

And here is where the "agenda" kicks it. This is what the game will make you think about. If a man falls in love with a woman who happens to be in the body of a man. Does that make the first man gay? Is he supposed to like other men because he loves a woman inside a man's body?

Oh boy... I need actual confirmation on this first before I continue. This is not worth it, if it's all based on speculation. I still hope it's true though!

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Well, this is sort of revolting, but not for the reasons you stated. By "Aloth is rather unenthused about this and talks to you about it" I can only surmise that he is an unwilling participant is this little threesome, which is obviously not okay.

He's unenthused, but it's kinda handwaved away by "Aloth wants Iselmyr to be happy after he talks to you so we all treat it like it's ok", which (to me personally) doesn't really make it much better. Especially since Iselmyr openly pranks both Eder AND Aloth with it a few times, like when she makes a move to get Eder to kiss her then lets Aloth take over again just as he's about to be snogged by Eder then laughing at them both, for example.

• Like 1

At the end of the day it's fiction and it's fiction you're not being coerced to participate in. 

If you believe the developers are insinuating an "agenda" or you're dissatisfied with the narrative or other aspects of this work of fiction then you're not being coerced to participate in it. 

Ok can I just say that while that sounds super stupid my new POE II goal is to set up Eder and Iselmyr while romancing Aloth. Challenge mode engage.

• Like 1

@LittleKestrel you're not making that up, right? To me it sounds too good and too funny to be true. Damn. :w00t::biggrin::grin:

Guest Ontarah

Oop, I just sent Ontarah a message about this because I was still locked by the 5 posts per day thing at the time but it looks like it's been cleared up! The files are located in PillarsOfEternityII_Data > exported > localized > en > text > conversations > companions and then the file name is companion_relationship_aloth_eder

You can open it up in Notepad if that's all you have, though the formatting is a bit janky.

Cool.  Was just about to post this but I see you got through.