I'm getting the Maia flirt really early (male Watcher), I'm hoping for a Pallegina romance, but if not, I was going to try the Maia romance so I'm in a bit of a bind. It would be nice if one of the devs would drop a short guide. Also, I seem to have acquired the bug where the Kind Wayfarer ending didn't port properly. So the game assumes I didn't finish Pallegina's quest. I assume this affects disposition. :( I should add that when I met Pallegina at the docks with Xoti in my party, Xoti was jealous of my Watcher having known Pallegina (which hints at the Xoti romance).

From what I saw from Cohh's streams (he's playing human male) there was a flirting option with Eder, but he didn't pick it. 

Tekehu straight on came on at him but Cohh rebuked him. Also Tekehu flirted with just about anybody, seems he's a promiscuous kinda of guy. I got the Iron Bull vibe from him. Personally, I hate it when romances are aggressively shoved down the players throats like that.

Xoti is definitely romance able. She seemed to have some feelings towards Eder at first, but Cohh was nice to her so she got together with him instead. It was kinda cringy and short, and somewhat out of nowhere. So to people who are expecting something groundbreaking out of romances - don't.

Receiving a non-agressive flirt is now a romance "aggressively shoved down the players throats"... the things we read on this forum...

I believe that Pallegina is a romanceable option but a really tough one, why? Because Josh wrote her.

I believe it when I see it.

It's kinda hard to stay celibate for that, as in saying no to Teheku. He turned out to be kinda cute. I reloaded when he asked me out after a conversation about expectations, so I have that speech bubble blinking at me unresolved right now.

Does anyone know when the Xoti romance locks in?

Edited by Gringos

I believe that Pallegina is a romanceable option but a really tough one, why? Because Josh wrote her.

Josh hates romances so I wouldn't hold my breath. However, I seem to vaguely recall a mention that some romance options are something like "not now, maybe later". So maybe something happens near the end of the game? But then again, I wouldn't hold my breath. 

According to someone on reddit, everyone is romanceable by any watcher, with the exception of Eder and Pallagina. I'm kinda upset. It's silly, but it never occured to me that Eder wouldn't be an option, since he seems to be a fan favorite. Its made worse by the fact that it sounds like he can get together with Xoti, but Xoti is romanceable by the watcher as well.

Edit: They said Serafen is a romance option, but not a full one. Not sure what that means.

Edited by Kassie

Josh hates romances so I wouldn't hold my breath. However, I seem to vaguely recall a mention that some romance options are something like "not now, maybe later". So maybe something happens near the end of the game? But then again, I wouldn't hold my breath. 

That is exactly the reason to why I think she is romanceable. Because Josh hates shallow romances - he stated that on a bunch of interviews -, so the idea of making a tough romance, a romance that demands commitment from the player, from the beginning to the end, is a idea that is compatible to Josh.

Xoti and Tekehu, from what I've seen, are really easy romances, so they go against the main idea behind romances in Deadfire, the idea that Josh explicit stated "no shallow romances", so they need at least one tough and meaningful romance, perhaps Edér falls in the same category.

According to someone on reddit, everyone is romanceable by any watcher, with the exception of Eder and Pallagina. I'm kinda upset. It's silly, but it never occured to me that Eder wouldn't be an option, since he seems to be a fan favorite.

I expect that's why he's not an option, to play against expectations.

I hope Aloth turns out to be a romance option for male Watchers. I have such a hard time imagining Aloth as romantic in any way that I am intensely curious to see what the writers dreamed up for him, but I also want to keep my Watcher from the first game. XD

Edited by Heartsib

That is exactly the reason to why I think she is romanceable. Because Josh hates shallow romances - he stated that on a bunch of interviews -, so the idea of making a tough romance, a romance that demands commitment from the player, from the beginning to the end, is a idea that is compatible to Josh.

Well, go out there and do it for science! :) There no 100% guarantee unless somebody completes the game while testing this.

Xoti and Tekehu, from what I've seen, are really easy romances, so they go against the main idea behind romances in Deadfire, the idea that Josh explicit stated "no shallow romances", so they need at least one tough and meaningful romance, perhaps Edér falls in the same category.

Yea, romances seem pretty shallow, actually. I think there's something wrong with how fast companions dialogues are appearing, something wrong with the relationship system.

• Like 7

According to someone on reddit, everyone is romanceable by any watcher, with the exception of Eder and Pallagina. I'm kinda upset. It's silly, but it never occured to me that Eder wouldn't be an option, since he seems to be a fan favorite. Its made worse by the fact that it sounds like he can get together with Xoti, but Xoti is romanceable by the watcher as well.

Edit: They said Serafen is a romance option, but not a full one. Not sure what that means.

So maybe Eder and Pallegina are the tough romance options and not everyone will be able to succeed, even among the those who are trying it.

sign.jpg

I just got friendzoned by Eder. Most seem to play a female watcher, has anyone tried flirting with him as male? Maybe that's way!? :p I know he mentions the milkmaid in POE I but who knows. ;)

I saw a screenshot of Eder shutting down a male watcher, so I think it's safe to say he isn't an option at all for any watcher :(

I just took a look at that post and I'm pretty apt to believe what's in it. Someone also chimed in to say they could kiss Aloth as a male watcher, so looks like he's also able to be romanced as both. 

Aloth knows one of the male prostitutes in the brothel (they studied together) and the convo implied that this guy propositioned Aloth and was rejected. Gave me a "no homo" vibe but it's not exactly proof either way. Got a simmilar vibe from Pellagina if you ask her about Meheha. I haven't tried to romance either though.

The prostitute guy was one of his schoolmates in the magic school. That whole convo gave me "Aloth was and is a clueless, babbling nerd" vibe, but that's nothing new. It was funny. Don't ever change, Aloth  :)

Honestly, I wasn't expecting Pallegina to have a romance, because she's Josh Sawyer's character and he hates romances. So if she doesn't have one I'm not surprised.

Not sure about Eder though. Has anybody finished his quest and found his past lover? Cuz that thing seems to be gnawing at him, even though there was an option to flirt with him. Maybe the quest needs to be finished first to start anything with him?

Also, it seems that most of the romances are bi? Tekehu, Xoti, Maia...What the ef  :rolleyes: But whatever.

Oh yeah I could be reaching there for sure and it was a funny convo. There is also a reference to fallout NV in there if u try to talk to the construct in the corner of the room which made me laugh out loud.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended, but in my PoE 1 save she ended up banished, and in my playthrough the NPCs mentioned she was banished and her task in PoE 1 didn't work etc. But she still ended up working for the ducs and even have five sun as subclass(even the symbol is scratched from her armor).

Probably worth reporting in the bug forum. They've mentioned working on a hot fix for issues with save import, the more they can fix at the same time, the better.

Guest Ontarah

Do we know yet if there is any kind of racegating on these, or is it pretty much any race can romance anybody with a romance path?

after i read about eder been non-romanceable i feel like i waited for so long just for nothing :c

the plot is intriguing, and i still want to know how the story will end, but all the excitement just gone

• Like 8

Guest Ontarah

I am always suspicious what "nuanced" is even supposed to mean when a dev claims that.  It is so subjective.  Like some people claim Bioware's romances are all shallow and the Witcher's are deep and some claim the opposite (my opinion) and I've heard mixed things about Divinity 2 and Persona and all of it.

I generally like Bioware's and thought Fallout 4's were shallow for more pointless opinions on this.

We'll see where these fall.  

If Eder really isn't romanceable, it'd really make absolutely no sense because his sexuality was flaunted quite a lot in PoE1. I've also seen people say he can get together with Xoti, so it'd make even less sense. Like how is it remotely believable writing that Eder is okay with showing interest in several female characters but suddenly outright refuses a female player character for no particular reason?

• Like 5

Be fashionable or be dead.

If Eder really isn't romanceable, it'd really make absolutely no sense because his sexuality was flaunted quite a lot in PoE1. I've also seen people say he can get together with Xoti, so it'd make even less sense. Like how is it remotely believable writing that Eder is okay with showing interest in several female characters but suddenly outright refuses a female player character for no particular reason?

Sometimes you're just not their type and that's okay.

• Like 4

Guest Ontarah

This is one of the clunkiest things I consistently see with game romances IMO.  Sometimes it's done well in a believable way (like Aveline in DA2 - she is just *so* oblivious), but when an NPC's sexuality and general interest in relationships is established in game, and they turn the PC down for nebulous "you're like a brother to me" reasons, it kind of comes off as arbitrary dev "because we don't wanna" reasons.  In that case, I tend to prefer that the flirt options just aren't even there for that character.