Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part IV

To be honest I don't know were I would vote if I had a twitter account. 

I do think original Pillars is better, though requires some tweaking.

However, Pen system did achieve it's goal with being clear, and scalable. 

Can we have a C option? 

I'll repeat what I posted on SA in response to this discussion:

The funny thing about the two games for me is that while the second game is superior in just about every way from a design perspective, I still feel like there was more "freedom" to make really off the rails original character builds in the first game.

It's hard to verbalize this accurately because I don't want to overstate it, but the first game had a lot of room for really novel "wait, what? that works?" gimmick builds to keep cropping up -- whole parties of pale elf self-damaging wizards, or Long Pain ranged monks, time leech barbarians, etc.

It might just be that in the second game a lot of the surprise of those build types has worn off -- I mean, you can still make a Long Pain monk just fine; or it might be that the really exploitative edge case builds got balanced out of existence (debuff barbarians with on-hit Carnage effects, etc), but somehow even though there are so many more combos now in terms of class + class, most of them feel pretty homogenous -- pick a weapon class from column A and a spell class from column B and whip to combine, etc. 

I think what I really miss is that talents in the first game could be taken with any class, so you could take a bunch of ranged talents on a cipher or monk, or Scion of Flame on a barbarian, or whatever, it was just a very open system in a way that's curtailed somewhat in Deadfire. In Deadfire if you want a cipher with ranged talents you multiclass with ranger; in the first game you just took Gunner directly. The net result was that in PoE 1 each individual class character would have a unique combo of talents, whereas any given multiclass in Deadfire has a more limited set to choose from; no two PoE 1 ciphers would be identical but every assassin/beguiler is fairly similar to every other assassin/beguiler.

I definitely share this thought. When I first started looking at ability trees, I was disappointed that they got rid of the very large "common pool" of talents that PoE1 had, in favor of more class-specific stuff (having Deep Pockets and Quick Switch sequestered away into rogue and fighter in particular hurt some of my PoE1 playstyle) and the stuff that is shared is very generic defense stuff (Bull's Will). It seemed like there was a bit more pigeonholing about classes compared to PoE1 (whereas it was definitely fun to go against type to create a super-intelligent barbarian, which is a definitely less viable option now).

In the end, to me it's not worse, it's "different." I'll never be able to recreate my favorite priest from PoE1, but I have a whole bunch of other new options to play with in Deadfire.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 4

i was just about to post this but obv u all got there first. thought it looked like the sort of thing where u maths people could help.

ive now cleared whole game including megabosses and dlc on veteran-upscaled. Ye ye ye, im not on potd yet, but it feels like a possibility now, which is a big achievement for me.

fwiw i like that the ar/pen system remains a factor all the way through the game. juggling damage types and weapon types for encounters was quite satisfying. forced me to up my equipment game. its something id like to see tuned rather than thrown out if possible.

tho praise be to whoever it was that said magneras chain was the way to tank dorudugan. (prob kaylon?) i dont think id ever have spotted that. i was using blackened plate all this time isnt of trusting anti-fire to rekvus cloak or whatever it was called.

i wonder if its possible to explain that inversion mechanic in the games cyclopedia without it becoming a meme? like i was able to apply it when boeroer explained it, so i think it passes some kind of idiot test. like, i had to take supplementary maths lessons at one point.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

tbh so long as they find some way to encourage tactical diversity and keep the numbers under control, im pretty chill. neither system damaged my enjoyment.

after dealing with the waking nightmare of dos2's armour/gear system and km's bloated natural AC shenanigans, deadfire felt like christmas. the bar dont feel that high atm. lol.

tangent: i did like the modals. i liked that each weapon type had a unique(ish) selling point.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

More interesting to me is WHY he asked this question; just looking back over the process and curious which worked better? Or more tantalizing...early considerations for PILLARS OF ****ING ETERNITY 3 THE LIVING LANDS.

My thoughts exactly.

If he announces PoE3, he can also create a third system and I wouldn't care. :)

12th God Challenge: play the entire game on a bike.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

Recent posts on here have confirmed one thing for me - I hope the josh sawyer tweets and teasers thread on this forum continues for the rest of my life

And we even missed this post a couple weeks ago.

Ha! Never knew that “Slavic squat” was a thing. Personally, when reading the name I was hoping for something more like that.

https://youtu.be/8EnZc7xjWwA

Edited by Wormerine

It's so a thing. At least where I come from.

We had lots of Russian\German minority immigrants in the 90's and the one thing all the male ones did was slavic squats. Nowadays it's mostly gone because those folks got assimilated pretty thoroughly.

I also lived in Uzbekistan for three years (2010-2013) and there it's also very common - even though they are not slavic at all. ;)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It were common at early-mid 2000's (and maybe still common in province small towns) but now it's mostly used as joke in Russia - you know, squat, vodka, balalayka...all this things)

Ah, and bears of course)

• Like 3

Recent posts on here have confirmed one thing for me - I hope the josh sawyer tweets and teasers thread on this forum continues for the rest of my life

And we even missed this post a couple weeks ago.
Ha! Never knew that “Slavic squat” was a thing. Personally, when reading the name I was hoping for something more like that.

It is totally a thing, rođak! Here's a tutorial:

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Did you see Eric Fenstermaker's tweet yesterday about an article in the New Yorker? It was, let's say, interesting. Josh concurred in a reply to the tweet. I think it was a pass at MCA.

Really? Missed that...

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't. :) The article about Mallory...

Yeah well - I think Eric has met his fair share of narcissists during his professional carreer as most of us have. No need to speculate...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...