Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part IV

-Is the upcoming game using an existing game engine or a new game engine?

-Yes.

:-D Well, that answers that. Good question though.

Well, obviously its built on a game engine that exists rather than an imaginary one and that it is also a new game engine! Right? ;)

I don't think that is really what he meant actually. 

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Well, obviously its built on a game engine that exists rather than an imaginary one and that it is also a new game engine! Right? ;)

I don't think that is really what he meant actually. 

Yes. He smitered them down with his wordnigmal logicity.

• Like 3

Nerf Troubadour!

• 2 weeks later...

in a recent tumblr post josh opines those making grilled cheese sandwiches with aged cheddar should be put in jail.  mr. sawyer's obvious lack o' culinary acumen coupled with typical wisconsin cheese arrogance has blinded him to the possibilities o' effective melts o' aged cheddar. so, our belated christmas gift to josh is a means by which a genuine gooey and melty aged cheddar may be incorporated into a grilled sandwich.

steam and an emulsifier will allow even the most hoary and antiquated cheddar to melt like a slice o' american.  gonna need experiment to get a proper steaming dome technique and am gonna suggest being creative with your emulsifier-- we freeze white wine or sherry and use resulting ice chips to steam.  toast bread with small amount o' oil o' your choice.  folks tend to use butter for bread, but am preferring homemade mayo.  is gonna work best with a crusty bread, so if josh is a fan o' wonder or other so-called bread products, this will be an auto-fail.  you will be applying limited 'mount o' steam to a medium-low, medium griddle, and a soft bread will tend to disintegrate even under gentle steam applications.  have had people suggest higher temps and quickness works better, but have never had luck doing so.

is a one-shot deal.  no peeking.  let out steam before done and chances are your sandwich fails. is gonna take practice.  recommend starting with cheap cheddar products 'til you get a feels for right combo o' bread, emulsifier, steam source, temperatures and time. accept the inevitability o' practice fails... you will have fails. is an art and not a science, so am gonna avoid specific time and temp suggestions.  

now this may sound like a whole lotta extra effort for a grilled cheese sandwich, but results speak for themselves.

HA! Good Fun!

ps in case weren't obvious, the ice chips is scattered around the sandwich and not 'pon it.  toss ice on griddle and immediate cover open-faced sandwich with dome to create steam and melt cheese gentle.  don't wanna soak the sandwich. might opt for squirt bottle with emulsifier instead o' ice chips as temp can be lower to achieve steam, but doing so results in direct fluid and sandwich contact.

pps 'pon momentary reflection, am gonna recommend practicing with cheeseburgers as a starting point.  ground beef is much more forgiving on a griddle than is bread.  can go higher temp with cheeseburger to achieve steam.  will develop proper "feel" with cheeseburger 'fore transitioning to bread. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 8

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The answer is obvious. He should ask people BEFORE implementing stupid AR into Deadfire.

Edited by Phenomenum

The answer is obvious. He should ask people BEFORE implementing stupid AR into Deadfire.

Twitter poll currently overwhelming favors AR, so uh, you do you.

In general, it's also completely reasonable for well after-the-fact assessment. I work a lot with experimentation and testing of new features, and change aversion is a real phenomenon independent of the actual merits of the new feature. If you ask people before or shortly after you do something new, you might get overwhelmingly negative responses, but within like a week it might flip completely over as people get used to the change. In general when I consult with people I advise them to not make decision based on like the first week of data if it's a significant new feature.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 5

"Twitter poll currently overwhelming favors AR, so uh, you do you." - well, sometimes it happens. I don't worry about it)

Just didn't like that the whole game is revolving around +- 2 PEN.

To be honest I don't know were I would vote if I had a twitter account. 

I do think original Pillars is better, though requires some tweaking.

However, Pen system did achieve it's goal with being clear, and scalable. 

Can we have a C option? 

I'll repeat what I posted on SA in response to this discussion:

The funny thing about the two games for me is that while the second game is superior in just about every way from a design perspective, I still feel like there was more "freedom" to make really off the rails original character builds in the first game.

It's hard to verbalize this accurately because I don't want to overstate it, but the first game had a lot of room for really novel "wait, what? that works?" gimmick builds to keep cropping up -- whole parties of pale elf self-damaging wizards, or Long Pain ranged monks, time leech barbarians, etc.

It might just be that in the second game a lot of the surprise of those build types has worn off -- I mean, you can still make a Long Pain monk just fine; or it might be that the really exploitative edge case builds got balanced out of existence (debuff barbarians with on-hit Carnage effects, etc), but somehow even though there are so many more combos now in terms of class + class, most of them feel pretty homogenous -- pick a weapon class from column A and a spell class from column B and whip to combine, etc. 

I think what I really miss is that talents in the first game could be taken with any class, so you could take a bunch of ranged talents on a cipher or monk, or Scion of Flame on a barbarian, or whatever, it was just a very open system in a way that's curtailed somewhat in Deadfire. In Deadfire if you want a cipher with ranged talents you multiclass with ranger; in the first game you just took Gunner directly. The net result was that in PoE 1 each individual class character would have a unique combo of talents, whereas any given multiclass in Deadfire has a more limited set to choose from; no two PoE 1 ciphers would be identical but every assassin/beguiler is fairly similar to every other assassin/beguiler.

AR vs. DR I can swing either way, but I miss some je ne sais quoi about the original's character builder that seems somehow absent in the sequel.

Also, JS's response to another poster:

Even though it took like a year and a half for people to really dig it, I'm glad quarterstaff-centric builds (Llawran's Stick, anyway) became a thing in PoE1.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 3