Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part IV

y'know, the portrait didn't look all too much like paul rudd to us, and until we googled a few o' the responses at josh's twitter, we were as confused as shady.  even so, the linked pic did make us recall a few o' the weird bg1 portraits with the unnatural facial expressions.

jido34.jpgunfortunate_11.png

so, nostalgic?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Josh lecture at  Graz University of Technology

On the subject of ligatures and how Josh didn't understand how it would make writing so much harder to read. I have dyslexia, it's a reading disorder that is unconnected to intelligence. My understanding of it is that it's a neurological based visual impairment, something that allows most people to read effortlessly does not work. fMRI studies show that dyslexics use different and more parts of their brains to read. I had trouble with standard fonts, dyslexics do much better when kerning is wider, making the distinction between letters clearer, so having a style of font that often closes that gap and merges two characters seems like a bad idea. Yeah, I probably could read fonts with ligatures but I read slowly and not automatically, it's tiring as is without adding obstacles.

• Like 2

I have no problems reading it. I also didn't think it was a bug.

I just thought "Hm, I guess those jaunty frills don't look thaaat good...?" while frantically searching the corresponding checkbox.

Yeah... I'm so sorry Josh!  :wub:

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I actually like font ligatures.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Why? I actually think they look pretty in PoE/Deadfire :)

• Like 4

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

LOL much appreciated!

• Like 3

I did turn off liagures for my first playthrough of PoE1. It is not something I am used to seeing, being used to boring generic fonts. After Josh talked about why he put those in a while back, I turned them back on and never looked back. They do give the game a nice flavour and don't hinder my reading at all, once I got used to them (which happened quite quickly). It is certianly smart to not force players to use them, though.

• Like 2