Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part IV

you'll be able to change eyecolor and put your hat on without going bald thanks to Dimitri Berman and Brian MacIntosh!

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1001619322245132288

So, poor Death Godlikes get twice shafted.  :biggrin:

Yes, definitely - wanted to say the same thing. I mean, if there is one race that typically gets shafted with vanity choices, it's the godlikes.

• Like 17

Telemetric data about classes and ... Lol

and once again, Gromnir is playing at the margins. our first run were completed as a priest of eothas/helwalker contemplative... a build which we purposefully avoided avoided swift flurry as we knew from the beta how broken a crit build with swift flurry could be. even so, our character were powerful and the contemplative starting skill array were ideal for us as we knew we wanted points in insight, diplomacy, metaphysics and to a lesser degree, religion and history. the helwalker mechanic added a layer o' complexity early in the game, which were a good thing. the contemplative we played were a well-rounded character who could heal big, do eye-popping damage with spells and weapons, and were thematic intriguing.

were actual considering a shaman for a subsequent run, though am current doing a cantor.

unrelated: rodrigo mendoza were first character name, but all subsequent names will be chosen from list o' the following: roberto clemente, honus wagner, willie stargell, arky vaughan, pie traynor, max carey, ralph kiner, lloyd waner, paul waner and fred clarke. the cantor is bill mazeroski as am saving roberto clemente for a special build once potd is tuned better.

regardless, am mild curious 'bout telemetry. if am ambivalent 'bout a build choice, may look to telemetry to choose the road less traveled. do our part to try what others dismiss.

HA! Good Fun!

Whoa! Missing some real Pirates there... Hello, Andy Van Slyke! Plus don’t forget about all of those famous Buccaneers.... Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, LeRoy Solomon. Or of course some Raiders from the Principi. Fred Blientikoff, Marcus Alllen or Kenny Stabler.

But of course you forget that in Deadfire we are the El’Capitan of the ship. So you’re obvious name for your next skipper should be Jim Leyland.

• Like 2

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Lul 

Eraflure posted:
Stats really aren't a big deal.

Josh

True gamers know that Pillars Attributes are completely irrelevant and companions are unusable unless they have a very specific spread of Attributes. 

Edited by draego
  • Like 3

Boom - Josh

Every time someone complains about an ability that was obnoxiously overpowered becoming weaker, my strength increases tenfold.

The patch also includes a large number of encounter adjustments for Veteran and Path of the Damned, though I don't know how much of that is in the beta patch.

PrestigiousBlindKissingbug-max-1mb.gif

Edited by draego
  • Like 4

More stuff from patch from Josh

Subjunctive posted:
I’m wondering what’s going to happen to empowered multi-target spells.

Those were functioning improperly. Any ability that scaled projectiles, secondary AoE hits, or bounces has way, way more power injected into it via power level scaling than it was supposed to. It is being fixed, but I know that it's not a simple fix and I don't know the current status of it.

Telemetric data about classes and ... Lol

and once again, Gromnir is playing at the margins. our first run were completed as a priest of eothas/helwalker contemplative... a build which we purposefully avoided avoided swift flurry as we knew from the beta how broken a crit build with swift flurry could be. even so, our character were powerful and the contemplative starting skill array were ideal for us as we knew we wanted points in insight, diplomacy, metaphysics and to a lesser degree, religion and history. the helwalker mechanic added a layer o' complexity early in the game, which were a good thing. the contemplative we played were a well-rounded character who could heal big, do eye-popping damage with spells and weapons, and were thematic intriguing.

were actual considering a shaman for a subsequent run, though am current doing a cantor.

unrelated: rodrigo mendoza were first character name, but all subsequent names will be chosen from list o' the following: roberto clemente, honus wagner, willie stargell, arky vaughan, pie traynor, max carey, ralph kiner, lloyd waner, paul waner and fred clarke. the cantor is bill mazeroski as am saving roberto clemente for a special build once potd is tuned better.

regardless, am mild curious 'bout telemetry. if am ambivalent 'bout a build choice, may look to telemetry to choose the road less traveled. do our part to try what others dismiss.

HA! Good Fun!

Whoa! Missing some real Pirates there... Hello, Andy Van Slyke! Plus don’t forget about all of those famous Buccaneers.... Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, LeRoy Solomon. Or of course some Raiders from the Principi. Fred Blientikoff, Marcus Alllen or Kenny Stabler.

But of course you forget that in Deadfire we are the El’Capitan of the ship. So you’re obvious name for your next skipper should be Jim Leyland.

wagner, traynor and mazeroski were all managers.  mazeroski and stargell were team captains.  sadly, andy van slyke failed to get minimum votes to maintain consideration for the hall of fame-- doesn't make the cut.

if we were to continue the sporting legend theme, we would consider leroy selmon, warren sapp and derrick brooks if we run out o' hall o' fame pirates.

raiders who could be an option following our buccaneers list completion: jim otto, gene upshaw, ted hendricks, willie brown, george blanda, dave casper, tim brown and fred biletnikoff. stabler and marcus allen are non-options given their collegiate affiliations-- no alabama and no usc players, and would consider the possibility o' removing miami grads as well. 

'course after we finish with pittsburgh pirates, am likely to return to mission characters given the arguable excessive deadfire focus 'pon colonialism as thematic fodder. *insert eye roll here*  the mission also works particular well given our tendency to play priest characters... though am thinking ennio morricone will get a naming nod for a chanter if we do not make father gabriel a chanter.

one o' the all-time oscar best score snubs

HA! Good Fun!

ps am realizing it is a good thing we play male characters. neither the pittsburgh pirates or the mission cast offer much in the way o' estrogen options.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

you'll be able to change eyecolor and put your hat on without going bald thanks to Dimitri Berman and Brian MacIntosh!

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1001619322245132288

So, poor Death Godlikes get twice shafted.  :biggrin:

Yes, definitely - wanted to say the same thing. I mean, if there is one race that typically gets shafted with vanity choices, it's the godlikes.

Death godlikes don't get much attention from the team.

We all know this to be true, innit?

And to what extent?

Really.

Very dissapointed with what I'm reading here.

End of story.

Stop this madness, now.

• Like 9

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

• 2 weeks later...

The comment about a young Max von Sidow seems spot on.

If I remember correctly this came up before and the artist for Eder confirmed that it was an inspiration.

Rare photo of Eder leaving Gilded Vale:

5143bcd5139fcb84ceb0341a72d14870.png

• Like 9

Josh on conversation editor

It always pains me a lot to see how little attention game devs give to their dialog tools. Just look at the dialog editor in the GECK of Fallout 3, etc... Seriously, seeing this garbage software makes it clear why Bethesda dialog is so god damn awful. Using this is worse than writing dialog in notepad or heck, excel.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It always pains me a lot to see how little attention game devs give to their dialog tools. Just look at the dialog editor in the GECK of Fallout 3, etc... Seriously, seeing this garbage software makes it clear why Bethesda dialog is so god damn awful. Using this is worse than writing dialog in notepad or heck, excel.

Josh responded to a post on Twitter about dialogue tools that claims most of the industry uses excel for dialogue. Which is a bit depressing.

Edited by illathid
  • Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Josh responded to a post on Twitter about dialogue tools that claims most of the industry uses excel for dialogue. Which is a bit depressing.

I'm not a big studio guy, but we certainly did use Excel in our project - however, in this case, it was mostly to export lines for translators outside the studio. It's not quite errorproof, but it's still a fast and accessible way to import/export huge dialogue databases without having to copy things by hand.

As for Excel being used to construct actual dialogue trees, I'm kind of surprised to hear that it's the preferred method. For instance, I'm pretty sure Unity has a boatload of dialogue creation plugins.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2