Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part IV

By Josh:

Honestly, the upcoming patch will be the first real and sober attempt at power balancing. During my playthroughs (and going through Backer Beta feedback) I saw a lot of eye-watering builds and content that didn't vary much on Veteran and PotD.

For the upcoming patch, I am personally reviewing every adjustment to character abilities, equipment base properties and upgrades, and Veteran/PotD encounter tuning. The massive variability does make balancing more difficult, but I think it will be in a healthy place by the time the next patch rolls out.

Famous last words? :p

• Like 8

I finally bought all the extra content for Tyranny and preparing for the 3rd playthrough.

I've never played it. Is it worth a go?

Additional content - don't know yet. Tyranny itself? Depends on what you like. I don't like the gameplay. There is little enemy variety, it has classless system, which is still sort of classes due to how skills trees are designed, and it's based on cooldown system, which encourages spamming over decision making. But I did enjoy story and world quite a lot. It's a much shorter game with a bigger focus on main story and different story paths. I would say it's worth a playthrough.

• Like 4

I finally bought all the extra content for Tyranny and preparing for the 3rd playthrough.

I've never played it. Is it worth a go?
Additional content - don't know yet. Tyranny itself? Depends on what you like. I don't like the gameplay. There is little enemy variety, it has classless system, which is still sort of classes due to how skills trees are designed, and it's based on cooldown system, which encourages spamming over decision making. But I did enjoy story and world quite a lot. It's a much shorter game with a bigger focus on main story and different story paths. I would say it's worth a playthrough.
The reactivity is beyond Alpha Protocol. It’s possible to burn through the game fairly quickly, but it doesn’t really shine until you play it a second time and get something completely different. While it does have a complete plot, a lot of effort was devoted to setting up a sequel, which hopefully we will get someday.
  • Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I liked Tyranny's setting and its Pratchettesque metaphysics a lot. The experimental approach to certain traditional RPG mechanics (yay for spell creation!) was a big plus for me, too, but that's largely a matter of taste. In the end, aside from some surface stuff, it's a completely different beast than PoE.

The Bastard's Wound DLC was a bit of a 50:50 for me, but even if you dislike the questline itself, the DLC still improves a wide variety of preexisting content, so it's not a bad purchase by any means.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

I hope together with big scythe over abilities, a great breeze would fly over monster encounters, because aside from vampires, they suck Josh. And maybe compared to nerfs it' be a good idea to increase that Dragon's 14th base level so it doesn't explode the moment 12+ level party meets one.

Edited by Shadenuat

When is this patch that Josh talked about coming? I think i'm very early in the game, just arrived at neketaka and met maia and the other companions there. IThe game is still balanced so far (POTD), honestly i had a few very rough fights, but i'm afraid it starts getting easier and easier now. Does it take too long to get unbalanced and too easy?

The reactivity is beyond Alpha Protocol. It’s possible to burn through the game fairly quickly, but it doesn’t really shine until you play it a second time and get something completely different. While it does have a complete plot, a lot of effort was devoted to setting up a sequel, which hopefully we will get someday.

I found the story and character arc satisfying. The best I can describe is "season one of a TV show". The wrap up the conflict of this game, but there is certainly more to come, 

• Like 3

I am also replaying Tyranny at the moment. I'm not sure what the cost of the DLC stuff is nowadays but when I first played through it (and the little mini-DLC with the random encounters on the world map) I thought they were well done and added quite a lot to the game.

Tyranny also represents what I feared Deadfire would become in terms of combat mechanics. I absolutely cannot stand the mechanics of this game and it *really* drags the game down a lot for me. Thankfully Deadfire ended up in a way better place even if I don't like the direction they're taking with the combat.

But other than the combat stuff and parts of the writing, it's a cool game. An interesting world and an interesting premise with some great stuff to it. In particular, I loved the Conquest section that starts out the game and of course the very flexible way you can go through it (and replay it).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Seems like a worthwhile thing to buy next time its on sale.

Oh i forgot if you hold sacred the 6 party member crpg then stay away. LUL. They go down to 4 characters.   :dancing: otherwise go for it.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

When is this patch that Josh talked about coming? I think i'm very early in the game, just arrived at neketaka and met maia and the other companions there. IThe game is still balanced so far (POTD), honestly i had a few very rough fights, but i'm afraid it starts getting easier and easier now. Does it take too long to get unbalanced and too easy?

They are aiming for early June. It was mentioned here (that's the first patch release notes).

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Seems like a worthwhile thing to buy next time its on sale.

Allegedly, it’s a free download on Steam right now.
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/692

" Another feature that the team is really excited about is what we are calling "Magran's Fires". Similar to Berath's Blessings, these modes can be enabled from the main menu and will add gameplay modifiers for challenges above and beyond Path of the Damned. In addition to the returning Triple Crown and Triple Crown Solo challenges, we will be rolling out challenges themed to Eora's gods, beginning with Berath, Galawain, and, of course, Magran."

• Like 5

sign.jpg

It can be incredible to have new options.

BUT be careful to "kit game effect"...

In fact, what will justify not integrating these bonuses/effects/Malus in POTD ? Big question...

Same for Berath blessing. Weird bonuses, increase uselessly the ease of the game...? (level 4 ?... In story mode ? Already hyper-easy)

Or level 4 In POTD ? For prestige it is not very useful, seems to not be very "legit".

I don't know. It is optionnal yes, but perhaps not the thing the most important actually (ship battle ? End game ? Balancing, classes, POTD ? There is a lot to create before offers new possiblities like this...)

Edited by theBalthazar

The blessings are rewards for getting achievements. They actually made achievements interesting for me. Sure, I don’t need more power—but do I enjoy it once I have it? Damn straight I do :)

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don’t normally bother with achievements. I did this time because of the in-game effects.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/692

" Another feature that the team is really excited about is what we are calling "Magran's Fires". Similar to Berath's Blessings, these modes can be enabled from the main menu and will add gameplay modifiers for challenges above and beyond Path of the Damned. In addition to the returning Triple Crown and Triple Crown Solo challenges, we will be rolling out challenges themed to Eora's gods, beginning with Berath, Galawain, and, of course, Magran."

I feel like Trial of Iron should be renamed to something pertaining to Rymrgand now, no?

I mean, it's technically a playthrough modifier. :p

• Like 2