Will you guys use them?

With the reduced ammount of characters i guess evryone has to draw even more to the pile. I guess a support charater (that got minimal auto attack damage) may benefit from it, but most solo class casters seems to have a focus on damage/cc/debuff abilities and will at best want to use a small shield (to not loose accuracy).

But will there be room in the higher dificulty to have a dedicated tank? or is it a waste of a spot? A pala/chanter can buff allies sure, but allies gotta be close aka draw some of the aggro themself (reduce the demand of super tanky) or far away to let the tank tank and don´t benefit from chants/auras (if they don´t got super long range in PoE 2). And if a pala/chanter want to use offensive spells/chants they prob gonna loose qute abit on the - to accuracy. 

I ran my Priest of Eothas with a Flail and a buckler in PoE1, so i see no reason why it should not be the same here.

Eder was sword n board as well, so he's probably gonna be the same here.

(I also ran Grieving Mother with a Dagger/Small shield, but she's not gonna be in Deadfire  ;( )

Edited by Juodas Varnas

I also kinda wonder if armor is usefull at an extent for characters that don´t focus on armor..it seems if you don´t have higher armor then the enemies penetration you might aswell remove the armor, the increased damage from full penetration (+30%) seems to not be sutch a burden for non melee chars compare to the increased rec speed.

I guess that most enemies weapons will have "normal" penetration (same as party) that will say 6-9 penetration on basic weapons and guess if u play on PotD they give some buffs to them at maby +1 atleast, meening you need atleast 8 armor to reduce the damage from some attacks, 11 to reduce from maby half the attacks and even more later in the game. The best armor gives 10 armor and no other gear (exept some special i guess) don´t give armor and i have not seen any ability that increase armor by more then 1. So you prob gotta be pritty "focused" on armor to get it to a effective level?

Edited by BijaT

Shields give you Engagement. I haven't played the Backer Beta, but my thought is a melee that can't punish disengagements would have a harder time staying close to his foe.

Granted some weapon modals can also give you Engagement (spears, for example) so I am going to experiment with some 1h + shield vs, say, Dagger + Spear, and perhaps even switch between the two before passives kick in that grant me Engagement without shields.

Shields give you Engagement. I haven't played the Backer Beta, but my thought is a melee that can't punish disengagements would have a harder time staying close to his foe.

Granted some weapon modals can also give you Engagement (spears, for example) so I am going to experiment with some 1h + shield vs, say, Dagger + Spear, and perhaps even switch between the two before passives kick in that grant me Engagement without shields.

Well fighter have a modal that give +3 engagement (and the other options dont seem that potent) and alot of engagment from other abilites (across most classes). To have more then 4-5 engagement seems to be overkill. 3 from modal, 1 from talent and maby one from weapon/other class. Sure if you building a pala/barb tank or similar the shield engagment bonus may be more important. But honestly any proper tank shoud be fighter or multiclass fighter.

I'm not even talking about a "tank" role - say, as a Monk, what's to stop enemies from running around you? You have to keep an enemy still / stay in range to hit them in melee.

And in PoE1 my favorite tank was by far a Barbarian, and they still seem very potent in Deadfire as well for that role. I don't see why one has to be Fighter / multi-fighter.

I agree that stacking a lot of Engagement is not worthwhile, but sometimes you just want to hold a priority target down and keep them occupied and a shield gives you that option.

I like the paladin(shield)/ fighter (defender)  you got 1 eng +3 for modal,+1 for shield +1 for paladin with shield total 6, 7 if you use a spear ... and 5% damage reduction for each engaged enemy.

It also gets +1 armor rating for using a shield and another +1 for the paladin aura, so its a really good tank. geting 75% damage reduction for the armor and the extra for the engaged enemies ... XD

If its not for tanks ... i could use it with wizards and so for the extra deflection .. but that would depend on the unique items we find in the game to see if its worth it.

There are one-handed ranged weapons now, so I could see myself slapping a small shield on a backline caster. They aren't going to put out much weapon damage either way. All the better if something like Little Savior is in.

I like the paladin(shield)/ fighter (defender)  you got 1 eng +3 for modal,+1 for shield +1 for paladin with shield total 6, 7 if you use a spear ... and 5% damage reduction for each engaged enemy.

It also gets +1 armor rating for using a shield and another +1 for the paladin aura, so its a really good tank. geting 75% damage reduction for the armor and the extra for the engaged enemies ... XD

If its not for tanks ... i could use it with wizards and so for the extra deflection .. but that would depend on the unique items we find in the game to see if its worth it.

guess using light shield? if i understand right most enemies run from engagments pritty fast if they don´t feel threatend by you, maby the guard modal upgrade is enuff? Or maby a high perception/str to make your attacks more damaging. I woud like to know how potent engagment rly is befor building smth so meta like that =D