yeah. you could even drop dex to like 4 and pump say might/con/resolve

I could never drop a stat that low just for roleplaying reasons. Dex of 4, you're so uncoordinated you can barely walk on a slightly uneven surface without faceplanting let alone wield a weapon but you have godly strength and endurance that's nice. 

• Like 2

Dex of 4, you're so uncoordinated you can barely walk on a slightly uneven surface without faceplanting let alone wield a weapon but you have godly strength and endurance that's nice. 

This isn't D&D.  This game's system borrowed the 3-18 numerical range out of tradition, but it was not designed to encompass such a wide range of outcomes.  3 is the lowest you can go and still be a heroic (or villainous) adventurer who can reliably jog across a dungeon level (etc.) without incident.  The least dextrous person on the planet probably has a DEX of -15 or something. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Clumsy, not hopelessly motorically impaired. ^^

Edit: Actually, 5 of some other stats sounds more extreme than clumsy does for dex. 5 int = dim. 5 per = oblivious.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

These are good posts but I was still hoping a more experienced theorycrafter could indicate whether that was a wise strategy to build a monk (getting critcs to proc all their abilities built around it) and if that was the best (or even decent) way to do it? 

Clumsy, not hopelessly motorically impaired. ^^

True, but if 10 is average and 5 is clumsy what's 3?

Very clumsy.

I imagine with this stat system it'd take a stat of 0 to actually start having real trouble with normal life, and negative to be actually impaired (like a negative int score would talk like DnD 6 int character).

Dex of 4, you're so uncoordinated you can barely walk on a slightly uneven surface without faceplanting let alone wield a weapon but you have godly strength and endurance that's nice.

This isn't D&D. This game's system borrowed the 3-18 numerical range out of tradition, but it was not designed to encompass such a wide range of outcomes. 3 is the lowest you can go and still be a heroic (or villainous) adventurer who can reliably jog across a dungeon level (etc.) without incident. The least dextrous person on the planet probably has a DEX of -15 or something.

A lion has an intelligence of 5. At 4, you're basically a spider, and not the intelligent, floating kind.

• Like 1

To answer PatrioticChief's question, though I am far from the best theorycrafter, I'd be inclined to say Might, Dexterity and Perception are the three most important stats for a Monk, with Constitution in there depending on your build and subclass (more important for Helwalker, less for Shattered Pillar).

This isn't D&D. This game's system borrowed the 3-18 numerical range out of tradition, but it was not designed to encompass such a wide range of outcomes. 3 is the lowest you can go and still be a heroic (or villainous) adventurer who can reliably jog across a dungeon level (etc.) without incident. The least dextrous person on the planet probably has a DEX of -15 or something.

A lion has an intelligence of 5. At 4, you're basically a spider, and not the intelligent, floating kind.

Depends on what you (or rather the game actually since its the one assigning stats) determines as intelligence. Animals can be quite cunning while many humans do completely stupid things but still be able to function in human society. Intelligence in Pillars assigns area of effect and other combat effects, and may be completely unrelated to whether a creature is sapient or not.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

yeah. you could even drop dex to like 4 and pump say might/con/resolve

I could never drop a stat that low just for roleplaying reasons.

I'm extremely like that too :p I first think of the character and put stats fitting to who he/she is, then just pick the class and deal with whatever the stats buffs. I'm too much of a roleplayer to ever be min-maxing lol. I just can't do it.

• Like 1

I'm extremely like that too :p I first think of the character and put stats fitting to who he/she is, then just pick the class and deal with whatever the stats buffs. I'm too much of a roleplayer to ever be min-maxing lol. I just can't do it.

Same. For me 8 is the floor on how low I'll dump a stat.

I seem to have derailed this thread from its original question. I'd recommend watching 

It's a bit long-winded but it is at least somewhat relevant to your question, and an interesting watch if you're a nerd like me. 

Edit: to answer your question more directly, I would say yes perception is important for monk if you wanna go crit monk

Edited by Riftis

It's definitely one way of looking at it to imagine that a 3 INT character has the intellect of a brick.

Another way of looking at it is that your character is perfectly capable of talking, fighting, solving puzzles, etc even with 3 INT, so if the game doesn't care, why should you?

These are just two different ways of looking at the situation. Neither is superior or more enlightened than the other, and there are arguments for both sides.

Anyway, on topic, I struggle to think of a character that doesn't need perception.

Edited by Yosharian

I seem to have derailed this thread from its original question. I'd recommend watching 

It's a bit long-winded but it is at least somewhat relevant to your question, and an interesting watch if you're a nerd like me. 

Edit: to answer your question more directly, I would say yes perception is important for monk if you wanna go crit monk

He changed it significantly from that talk in PoE2

PoE1 attributes mattered significantly less because as he said, a huge might score was only 15% extra damage vs 10 might.  Now 18 might is a LOT more damage than 10 might.  

Yeah uh, 1 point of might seems to have the same value in PoE1 and Deadfire even. 3% damage, 2 fortitude. Not following.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Yeah uh, 1 point of might seems to have the same value in PoE1 and Deadfire even. 3% damage, 2 fortitude. Not following.

Might in Deadfire has multiplicative scaling, unlike everything else that boosts your damage. Hence people saying Might in Deadfire is all-important.

• Like 1