I always feel bad about GoG. I'd like to support the Steam alternative but I just find Steam so convenient having everything in one place and I'm already heavily invested in Steam. There's a reason I haven't played any of the newer Bioware games: it's not because they're bad (they might be) but because I don't want Origin.

• Like 2

I always feel bad about GoG. I'd like to support the Steam alternative but I just find Steam so convenient having everything in one place and I'm already heavily invested in Steam. There's a reason I haven't played any of the newer Bioware games: it's not because they're bad (they might be) but because I don't want Origin.

For a while GOG has a bit advantage for me - refunds, and using local (polish) currency. Steam has catched up with both not so long ago. Still I tend to always favour GOG if I can. As much as I complain here about lack of preload or Scavenger Hunt, those are not really that big deals for me. I would rather have them focus on practical stuff than the recent social update of GOG galaxy. But maybe they work on those as well, who knows. 

• Like 1

Having games on battle.net, steam, GoG, and Origin is not really a problem for me anymore. I'd love a third party app, that logged them all in, and let me access all my game from one place, but if that's not possible, opening different apps for different games is really a first world problem.. And a small one at that.  ^_^

• Like 3

I quit using GOG a long time ago and went back to Steam. The idea is great but in my case (mostly Linux user) the implemetation and the features are not up to date.

It really depends, in some regions a preload is just nice to have, if you really want to play on release day. However in some rural areas all around the world, the pre-load is really worthwhile, since you do not need to spend ten hours downloading it on release day.

Before Amazon, Steam etc. it was quite normal not to play on release date, we just got used to getting everything delivered by the time it unlocks.

Back in the stone age people pre-ordered then made a midnight run to the local game store to pick it up on launch day, or they pre-ordered and hoped that the UPS dropped it off early so they could play before the official launch.  The tales of rage and woe from those whose game didn't arrive on launch day or whose local game store somehow ran out of pre-order copies were epic.

Those were good times. I pre-ordered Simon the Sorcerer and waited a week for it to be delivered. When I got it, wouldn't work on my Amiga.

• Like 3

Do we know exactly when it's possible to start downloading? (gog user)

It's midnight where I live now, but are we working off Yankee time? Would be nice to set this thing off during the night if possible. It's going to take a while...

Edited by PangaeaACDC

Do we know exactly when it's possible to start downloading? (gog user)

It's midnight where I live now, but are we working off Yankee time? Would be nice to set this thing off during the night if possible. It's going to take a while...

I would imagine we can download it with release. I really could use it to release an hour earlier. I have to leave home half an hour before I can start a download. Precious 3 hours of downloading lost!

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20180508T10&p0=137&msg=Deadfire%E2%80%99s+released+upon+the+world.&font=cursive&csz=1

• Like 1

Oh. Almost a full day left then. Means I won't get to play tomorrow, and due to work probably not until the weekend. Need to go dark then. There's always some pleb that spills the beans even in the no-spoiler forum.

Having games on battle.net, steam, GoG, and Origin is not really a problem for me anymore. I'd love a third party app, that logged them all in, and let me access all my game from one place, but if that's not possible, opening different apps for different games is really a first world problem.. And a small one at that. ^_^

I use GOG for the classics, like all of the Goldbox Series, Warhammrr SotHR and Final Liberation. They all work wonderfully. Steam is for the new stuff...

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

It’s release at 10AM PDT.

Are you sure? Steam seems to indicate otherwise. 

This game will unlock in approximately 17 hours

That's the only indication I have from Steam about specific time and it seems to be in agreement.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

It’s release at 10AM PDT.

Are you sure? Steam seems to indicate otherwise. 

This game will unlock in approximately 17 hours

That's the only indication I have from Steam about specific time and it seems to be in agreement.

I concur. Carry on. 

Is Obsidian based on the Westcoast? That is really "unfortunate" for a large portion of the playerbase when a a game is released according to the pacific timezone, since almost everybody will get the game later than expected. I've seen some companies release the game the moment the first country reaches the release date and found that UK companies releasing their stuff at 4pm UTC work best for most players. Europeans can play just after work, Australians will get to play first thing in the morning after the release date and the US can play on release date after they got up.

As of now Australians will have to wait 19 hours "longer". I think since the online market is such a strong portion a generalized release date for every timezone would be preferable and less confusing, either by releasing on the release date at a certain time, or by releasing everything at 6am EST, UTC or whatever. But that is still a while away, one has to think about the retailers, too and that video game releases are still tied to other products like Music.

What? In general steam has normalized most game releases (outside of midnight AAA releases) to 10 am pacific time, Tuesday or Thursday. Love it or not, but it's current normal and has been for years.

Has nothing to do with music (??), or retailers (which have long ceased to be relevant for PC games.)

Quite the contrary. The reason why so many games come out on Tuesdays is exactly because of retailers.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-video-games-typically-released-on-Tuesdays-Wouldnt-Fridays-be-more-logical

Check out this link for answers on this very interesting question.

Music and DVDs usually release on Tuesdays as well, so that is indeed another contributing factor.

I honestly can also not recall one game that released at 10am PST, which means it would unlock at 7pm here in Germany. I usually have to work late on Tuesdays and if I dont take time off, I generally get to installing and spend a couple of minutes in the game before I have to go, which means they unlock at roughly 4pm UTC. The last game that I can recall having a rather obscure release time was Fallout 4, which released at 3am in the morning. Also Battlefield 3 or 4 was released a day or two earlier in the US, that was late at night as well, definitely past 7pm.

• Like 1

Here's a rather meaningless countdown timer to release, that should be timezone adjusted and stuff. Give it a stare.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I bought the game on GoG and I kinda regret it because there's no preload. Anyway, do we know how large the download will be when the game goes live? Not having preload is just stupid, I think I'm done with GoG after this release, their refund policy is also shady compared to Steam. 

16 gb pre download from Steam, however I'm not sure how much more would have to be downloaded at release.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Quite the contrary. The reason why so many games come out on Tuesdays is exactly because of retailers.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-video-games-typically-released-on-Tuesdays-Wouldnt-Fridays-be-more-logical

Check out this link for answers on this very interesting question.

Music and DVDs usually release on Tuesdays as well, so that is indeed another contributing factor.

That's actually really interesting. Even in the digital age without the need for shelf stacking (mostly), it make some sense.

If there is a serious bug of one type or another, I do hope we get a patch by the weekend (even on GOG.... grumble-grumble).

Anyway, if my math is correct and the game is 35GB, it should take around 2.5 hours to download for me. Which means I may actually get in a few hours before bed. Is that smart? Maybe not. Suddenly birds are chirping, I need to go to work, and have slept 0 minutes.

16 gb pre download from Steam, however I'm not sure how much more would have to be downloaded at release.

I'd guess that those 16GB are the compressed files. There's probably almost nothing more to download at release (just a decryption key or similar).