How many here know of Critical Role ?

These are a great group of voice actors that also perform on geek and sundry and twitch tv. All these great voice actors led by the great Mathew Mercer add a lot of their talents to this game. If get time, take a few minutes and look these guys up.. they are a good time if into live action role playing.. you be surprised who these guys have voiced from anime to hero shows like DC and marvel.

• Like 1

Well one of them voiced Aloth and Eder and I thought he really brought those characters the life. If the rest of them do as good a job then I will have nothing to complain about.

i heared about Critical Role before, but never watched them. Resently, after Obsidian annouced they will have full roster of CR in game, i decided check out first episode of 2nd campaign. and... it's jaw dropping. best thing i ever seen. Matt's narration and voices of NPCs are incredable. since then i watched whole thing and Is it Thursday yet?

p.s #TeamJester

Edited by OrKToS
  • Like 2

Even if you don't know of them there's a damn good chance you heard (of) them, ahah! Because. They. Are. Everywhere. Seriously, I heard samples of their voices in character select and inappropriate things happened. Whoever at Obsidian decided to make this happens need a beer and a raise, as do all of Critical Role for being awesome and hopping on. 

Thank you for the quality topic, for once I don't need to ask my crystal ball  :thumbsup:

Can't wait to recklessly click on each companions.

In poe1, Pallegina had the best noisy sounds.

You can use some of their voices during character creation too (I have it at the timestamp when he goes through them): 

Edited by Cerulean Shaman

Matt is everywhere, sometimes twice! It always amuses me when you are playing a game and you hear a Matt Mercer voiced character bantering with another Matt Mercer voiced character.

In Pillars 1 there is an encounter near Cliaban Rilag where Matt as Eder has a conversation with Liam and Sam as looters.

Great to hear the rest of the Critical Role gang get in on the action too, although having seen the Critical Role portraits up on versusevil.com/critical role I may have to roll up an ocean folk wizard of some sort for some Gilmore action!

I only learned about them recently and by accident as they appeared as a recommendation from youtube when watching some Acquisition Incorporated stuff. Watched the first episode but got bored tbh.

They are great at voicing, though, and I appreciate Obsidian used them. I'm not surprised at all, of course, that they have voiced other games and cartoons, 'cause that's their job after all :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

Watching D&D for me is interminably boring. The whole point of D&D is that conflict resolution is only limited by your imagination. Watching other people think in your place is like buying a speedboat and then only looking at the pictures other people take with it on instagram. 

Edited by Logos
  • Like 1

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

Never heard of them and probably never heard them enough to remember or care who voiced what characters.  I usually turn the sound off and listen to music (probably due to hearing 'Go for the eyse boo!' 600,000 times) while I play games. 

Watching D&D for me is interminably boring. The whole point of D&D is that conflict resolution is only limited by your imagination. Watching other people think in your place is like buying a speedboat and then only looking at the pictures other people take with it on instagram. 

Unless it is Acquisition Incorporated were nothing is serious and is just for (good) laughs. They are long so I never watch them in a single run but hard laughs are guaranteed.

Also watching others play DnD (or any other rpg actually) here and there is good for those who have no idea what it's like playing a tabletop rpg and want to try it or want some game master inspiration. But watching a series of others play, yeah, boring. Unless it's Acquisitions Incorporated :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

To each their own. I find it to be an entertaining form of improv storytelling with rules. Radio dramas used to be a big thing, critical roll and other tabletop RPG podcasts are not far from that. They definitely make long drives a bit shorter. I think it helps too that they get really into it with their voice acting and characters.

Edited by bonebrah

I think PoE and Tyranny were quite lacking when it came to voiceovers so I hope Deadfire is better, no idea how many of those actors are involved in Critical Role.

Mercer definitely did a good job though in Pillars though, Edér was one of the better voiceacted characters for sure.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Unless it is Acquisition Incorporated were nothing is serious and is just for (good) laughs. They are long so I never watch them in a single run but hard laughs are guaranteed.

Also watching others play DnD (or any other rpg actually) here and there is good for those who have no idea what it's like playing a tabletop rpg and want to try it or want some game master inspiration. But watching a series of others play, yeah, boring. Unless it's Acquisitions Incorporated :p

I find AI very tone deaf and uninteresting. If it were a homebrew setting it would bother me less, but the whole setup (and most of the 'jokes' and plot devices) is anachronistic, ill-conceived and a poor fit.

Plus, roleplaying is a bit more than consistently being a self-centered jerk. Some familiarity with the genre and setting is useful.

I've never heard of them before the announcement from obsidian but thank god, I do know of them now. After watching the 2nd campaign to its newest episode, I started the 1st campaign too. Matt Mercer is truly a, hats off, great DM. Commenting on the players, a lot of the time it was different for me to figure out how much was roleplaying and how much was themselves. After watching them in both campaigns I was a bit surprised of how much more they were actually roleplaying. A lot of the time I catch myself thinking: "how would I have done it" and speculating that is a lot of fun, though the greatest moments for me are surprisingly not the actual game, but the inter character play. Very enjoyable and recommendable.

Critical Roll is great. Well, should I say, Matt Mercer is great. One of the best DM's bar none.

And yes, he voiced Aloth and Eder in PoE, so it's awesome he and now his gang are back to do more VO for Deadfire. If you are into D&D or if you are curious, I strongly advise you to check it out.

Also, for those that don't know, Vin Diesel is a D&D nerd as well. Everyone one needs to check this out: 

It's at the 25 minute mark. For any who question if he's "really into D&D," he totally nerds out. It's amazing.

Edited by Jayngo
  • Like 2

Critical Roll is great. Well, should I say, Matt Mercer is great. One of the best DM's bar none.

And yes, he voiced Aloth and Eder in PoE, so it's awesome he and now his gang are back to do more VO for Deadfire. If you are into D&D or if you are curious, I strongly advise you to check it out.

Also, for those that don't know, Vin Diesel is a D&D nerd as well. Everyone one needs to check this out: 

It's at the 25 minute mark. For any who question if he's "really into D&D," he totally nerds out. It's amazing.

I dunno, I never thought he's as into DnD that he says he is. His witchhunter thing he did on nerdist didn't convince me that he's been playing tabletop RPG's for 20 years or whatever he claims.

I dunno, I never thought he's as into DnD that he says he is. His witchhunter thing he did on nerdist didn't convince me that he's been playing tabletop RPG's for 20 years or whatever he claims.

I felt the same way when I watched the Critical Role episode, but in this vid when he geeks out about Gary Gygax, it was just hilarious.

• Like 1

So, I'm guessing the Critical Role portraits and voice sets will be available when Deadfire officially launches, right?

Yes, the streamers has already have them in the game. I've heard all of the voice sets from the streaming already.

Edited by jf8350143
  • Like 1