Best being which combination can do the heaviest sustained DPS without being too brittle.

I thought I was set with Devoted/SoulBlade but Blood Thirst seems awesome. And with so few ways of significantly reducing recovery, Barbarian seems like it might shine.

Do melee characters benefit greatly from Power Level? (i.e. would a Nature Godlike do well?)

From what I found in the Beta - might be different in the actual game - power level did not make that big of a difference for melee besides Monk unarmed, there it made a big difference.

Both the Soul Blade/Devoted and the Soul Blade/Berserker are very powerful. I like the Berserker version better as it has more fun stuff to use. The fighter is much more one dimensional, it tanks better than anyone but just is kinda bland.

Devoted get you +2 penetration but restrict you to one weapon which is rather harsh going into a game blind. Maybe you chose poorly and re-specing is a cheat to me so I'd avoid it. A second playthrough based on meta knowledge would be possible if the mechanics of the class were intriguing enough. Anyway you'll have Eder on the team to see how a Fighter is.

Go with what seems fun, both are mechanically very good.

From what I found in the Beta - might be different in the actual game - power level did not make that big of a difference for melee besides Monk unarmed, there it made a big difference.

Both the Soul Blade/Devoted and the Soul Blade/Berserker are very powerful. I like the Berserker version better as it has more fun stuff to use. The fighter is much more one dimensional, it tanks better than anyone but just is kinda bland.

Devoted get you +2 penetration but restrict you to one weapon which is rather harsh going into a game blind. Maybe you chose poorly and re-specing is a cheat to me so I'd avoid it. A second playthrough based on meta knowledge would be possible if the mechanics of the class were intriguing enough. Anyway you'll have Eder on the team to see how a Fighter is.

Hey, just saw this while lurking so I'm gonna hijack it a bit. What do you think about a Soulblade/Paladin combo? Probably not going with Bleak Walker if I do because of dispositions.

Hey, just saw this while lurking so I'm gonna hijack it a bit. What do you think about a Soulblade/Paladin combo? Probably not going with Bleak Walker if I do because of dispositions.

Goldpact / soulblade seems like a nice combo to focus one target after the other down with hard hits and get ressources back

Goldpact / soulblade seems like a nice combo to focus one target after the other down with hard hits and get ressources back

Yep, that's what I was thinking about too. The extra AR from the Goldpact's Sworn Rival might be nice as well considering you'll be in melee. Bleak Walker is gonna be more damage but I don't wanna be an **** my first playthrough!

the one thing i dont like about devoted and monk is that you might miss out on a lot of cool weapons...and i hate nothing more than finding a super cool weaon and not being able to use it / adapt my playstile for it

From what I've had people telling me on here is that you can use melee weapons for monk too and the damage will still apply (apart from the skill The Long Pain). My plan is to dual wield weapons that do 'slash' damage and have it in one weapon slot and on another weapon slot just have fists for crush damage. Depending on the fight, just mouse over enemies to see which damage type they're most susceptible to and use that.