So is multi that much better than single?

I’m very new to pillars.. never played the original, but will read the stuff available on the first story so have an idea of what’s going on.

My question is mult classing really lot more powerful than a single class. I get more choices.. but did from what I’ve seen on the forums, seems single class is obsolete compared.. that’s sad if that’s the case.

From my understanding, multiclassing is more versatile but not necessarily more powerful. There are a couple classes that most seem to think would be better as a multiclass than keeping single (ranger and rogue I believe), but overall single is as much a strong choice as multi. It really depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

Single classes get access to tier 8 and 9 abilities while multiclass does not. And they reach each tier a bit sooner. Plus they have one more ability point to spend by the end.

Multi gets access to two trees and two resource pools but progress a bit slower. And if there's a lot of awesome stuff in both trees it can be difficult deciding how to spread your points haha.

With everything I've heard, both ways can be feasible and fun. People are just more hyped for multiclass cuz it's new to PoE and there's so many fun combos and synergies you can try for. Something many people enjoy :)

• Like 1

From my understanding, multiclassing is more versatile but not necessarily more powerful. There are a couple classes that most seem to think would be better as a multiclass than keeping single (ranger and rogue I believe), but overall single is as much a strong choice as multi. It really depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

Single classes get access to tier 8 and 9 abilities while multiclass does not. And they reach each tier a bit sooner. Plus they have one more ability point to spend by the end.

Multi gets access to two trees and two resource pools but progress a bit slower. And if there's a lot of awesome stuff in both trees it can be difficult deciding how to spread your points haha.

Single class characters don't unlock abilities "a bit sooner", but much sooner. By the time a multiclass character unlocks Power Level 5 (character level 13), a singleclass character is already using PL 7 abilities. The PL 9 abilities are a bit irrelevant in the multi vs singleclass discussion anyways, since a singleclass character won't unlock those abilities until level 19 (when the game is basically over).

Pillars is a game where you want your character to be relevant throughout the levels. Imo, you really should consider making sure the staple abilities of your multiclass build become available no later than PL 5, so you actually have time to use them properly.

• Like 1

Not really.  Multiclassing is definitely much worse for all the caster classes unless you are doing a melee build, there's absolutely no synergy between classes if you're chucking a fireball spell.  

Honestly the multi classes look like they have gone through far more balance passes than the single classes due to backer beta.  

• Like 1

Not really.  Multiclassing is definitely much worse for all the caster classes unless you are doing a melee build, there's absolutely no synergy between classes if you're chucking a fireball spell.  

I don't know if I'd agree with that. Chanter/caster combos should be solid. I'm imagining chanter/druid and chanter/priest will make for really strong support characters, with a huge range of buffs/debuffs/heals they can utilize depending on the fight, as well as being able to pump out some good damaging spells and summons. stuff like ranger/rogue/pally/monk should pair nicely with caster ciphers. Wizard should pair nicely with some ranged builds as well, with blights or some other ranged summoned weapons and buff spells.

Its a balancing act and a lot of it boils down to preference, your party layout, what you want to accomplish with the char, how quickly you want to unlock abilities and if you care about the 8th and 9th level stuff. 

• Like 1

Honestly the multi classes look like they have gone through far more balance passes than the single classes due to backer beta.  

While I don't totally agree with the comment about caster synergy that is the crux of it.

If two classes have strong synergy they can make a powerful multi class, if they don't, uh you might be lack luster.  Imagine a Goldpact Paladin with a fighter, that could make a beastly tank.   Or an assassin rogue with a barbarian.

But a barbarian wizard?  Uh it will sort of work if as wizard you focus on combat buffs, but priest may have worked better for that. 

All that said, no, multiclasses are not by definition stronger.  However they can have some strong combos, try Bleak Walker Assassin for example.  Single class do get the 8th and 9th level abilities though, and ultimately end up with more ability choices though not many more.

helwalker is actual an exception, if highly limited, insofar as caster synergy is concerned.  helwalker will have a player consistent enjoying +10 might early in game, +10 intellect from mid, and potential getting a significant accuracy bonus which applies to spells and weapons. it actual makes more sense to play the helwalker as ranged 'til at least mid levels as the helwalker is more squishy in combat than most monks.  'course spell catalog for sage or contemplative or whatever is gonna be significantly reduced, so will need be focusing on spells which is gonna benefit from big might and int.

is other synergies, but the cost for obvious helwalker bonuses is equal obvious: reduced catalog o' casting options and missing high level spells.  sage is likely the bestest route for a helwalker/caster, but combine with cipher, druid, and priest is all effective.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the wound related helwalker bonuses to attributes stack with spells.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is not true at all

there is alot of synergy if you can boost the damage output, casting speed, of the fireball plus a whole lot of other things.

sage is likely the bestest route for a helwalker/caster, but combine with cipher, druid, and priest is all effective.

I've been thinking of doing ghost heart/ascendant and hadn't even thought about helwalker/ascendant. For talents I assume Enduring Dance, Lightning strikes, Duality? The wording on Turning Wheel is saying melee, but i wonder if that tooltip is accurate on the wiki.

"(Turning Wheel) - The monk is able to channel their pain into pure energy adding a proportional fire bonus to Melee Damage."

With everything I've heard, both ways can be feasible and fun. People are just more hyped for multiclass cuz it's new to PoE and there's so many fun combos and synergies you can try for. Something many people enjoy :)

It's kind of the opposite, actually. Multiclassing in Deadfire isn't really about versatility at all. Because you only get +1 ability per level up, and +1 for each class when reaching a new power level, you can't possibly fully explore the options in both classes, which means you have to be very selective and focus on what synergizes. If anything, pure classes are the ones who can become truly versatile by focusing all their ability points into a single class' tree.

• Like 1

sage is likely the bestest route for a helwalker/caster, but combine with cipher, druid, and priest is all effective.

I've been thinking of doing ghost heart/ascendant and hadn't even thought about helwalker/ascendant. For talents I assume Enduring Dance, Lightning strikes, Duality? The wording on Turning Wheel is saying melee, but i wonder if that tooltip is accurate on the wiki.

"(Turning Wheel) - The monk is able to channel their pain into pure energy adding a proportional fire bonus to Melee Damage."

turning wheel is melee based on description, but the int bonus from duality is separate.  also, do not forget long pain.  you is gonna be able to do melee damage from range with a monk thanks to long pain talents.

early in game, use scepters and dance o' death talents to quick build wounds-- should start every combat with 4 wounds.  swift strikes is gonna also impart quick inspiration. not a bad way to begin combat, eh?  dual wielding sceptres will build wounds extreme fast, if such is the way you wanna play it.  contemplative priest o' wael with a summoned rod is a bit op at the moment, though we still see sage as best option for flexibility.  grimoires are so darn useful for accessing extra talents beyond those purchased at levelup.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ooh Chanter + Caster. Hadn't thought of that. Yeah, that seems strong.

It works pretty well. Chanter works with anything, IMHO. Except Mage Slayer. Lol that would be fun to try regardless of MS resisting his own buffs.

Cipher MCs best with a weapon based class for obvious reasons. Focus.

The other 3 caster classes are a little tougher to mix, but it can be done I'm sure. They aren't a synergistic as melee for sure. At least imho. You could still pull it off though. Especially if the party could benefit from the MCed casters versatility.

Well damn, I thought i was set to go with ghost heart/ascendant but helwalker/ascendant seems like it might be a lot more fun. I'm guessing you build your helwalker specs with higher constitution to avoid potential oneshots/to soak the damage from the scepter modals, and since can spare the attribute points a bit more since get the +10 might/int from helwalker/duality and get 5 extra dex from lightning strikes?

i'm thinking cypher/rogue would be a great combo, but I wasn't in the beta, so I haven't had a detailed look at the abilities. I just think it would be fun to mess with the enemy using debuffs, then sneak attack them with pistols/bows from range with rogue attacks and abilities.

It's kind of the opposite, actually. Multiclassing in Deadfire isn't really about versatility at all. Because you only get +1 ability per level up, and +1 for each class when reaching a new power level, you can't possibly fully explore the options in both classes, which means you have to be very selective and focus on what synergizes. If anything, pure classes are the ones who can become truly versatile by focusing all their ability points into a single class' tree.

Versatility in the sense of your role, not versatility within each class. Versatility in the number of possibilities you can reach by having a wider breadth of spell/skill types (mileage may vary based on which two you're crossing).

A wizard is a wizard is a wizard. Still fun, but it only uses the Wizard ability list. Which is fine. I just meant multiclassing gives versatility in options. Of course a multiclass can never be as specialized in either of their classes as a single class.

I would personally define 'fully exploring the possibilities of a single class' as specializing not versatility lol. But I suppose I could see an argument for either.

Well damn, I thought i was set to go with ghost heart/ascendant but helwalker/ascendant seems like it might be a lot more fun. I'm guessing you build your helwalker specs with higher constitution to avoid potential oneshots/to soak the damage from the scepter modals, and since can spare the attribute points a bit more since get the +10 might/int from helwalker/duality and get 5 extra dex from lightning strikes?

dunno.  one-shots were rare a problem in the beta, but there were no dragons neither.  two-shots were an issue.  get crit once and then try to heal only to be hit immediate again.  barring death's door may be enough to prevent such deaths even at con 10, but am not certain.  monk's duality is 10 con or 10 int, so is gonna be dynamic and situational flexible.  blade turning monk ability will also likely be useful in potd runs.  the thing is, 'til we do a potd dragon battle (or similar,) am not certain what is necessary health. 

regardless, am thinking people tend to look at these kinda things as insular from party composition and such could be a mistake.  typical you may build a party to address whatever shortcomings your main character suffers.  might not normally consider extra heal talents from our pallegina herald, but if the helwalker is too squishy... 

likely starting attributes for our first contemplative is as follows: m15c10d15p13i15r10.  'course keep in mind, a contemplative gots extra heals.  unless rp is an issue, we would also recommend playing a mountain dwarf-- racial ability reduces chance you will be unable to receive heals. 'course am gonna go orlan route.

*shrug*

will be interesting to see how ranged helwalker/_______ work in the full game, 'cause they is excellent and flexible in the beta.

that being said, a shattered pillar+druid combines nice if you are looking to make great use of wild strike.  is a nice melee build, but if you wanna focus on casting, helwalker is a great alternative, if a bit quirky and micromanagement dependent.

HA! Good Fun!

By the way: if Blood Thirst works anything like in PoE then Barbarian/Nuker will be a beastly combo. Not only can it cast faster due to Frenzy and Bloodlust but also nullify recovery on kill... IF Blood Thirst works as in PoE where it triggered on direct kills no matter the dmaage source (no DoT).

That would allow for a nuke spammer...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

By the way: if Blood Thirst works anything like in PoE then Barbarian/Nuker will be a beastly combo. Not only can it cast faster due to Frenzy and Bloodlust but also nullify recovery on kill... IF Blood Thirst works as in PoE where it triggered on direct kills no matter the dmaage source (no DoT).

That would allow for a nuke spammer...

I remember DoT kills can trigger cleave in beta when I rolled a figher/barbarian with dual axe. So I assume bloodthirst will also be triggered by DoT.

Cool. We'll have to test. In PoE Tidefall's wounding didn't trigger Blood Thirst which could be a real bummer. Or maybe they fixed that with a patch and I didn't notice.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Is single or multi class more powerful?

answer: it depends on

Some top level abilities look extremely good, like barbariens make a full attack when they get crit, heart of fury and getting rage back on kill.

But there will also be many synergies between 2 classes.

Is single class or multi class more versatile?

answer: it depends on

Usually you specialize your char on something, maybe "versatile" means he is specialized on doing several different things above average instead of being extremely good in one thing.

My best ideas for multi class so far:

berserker/soul blade: killing machine that gets tons of bonusses when you kill an enemy.

devoted/helwalker: helwalker gives you 2 abilities that lets you attack again when you crit and the might bonus, devoted gives you increased crit chance and cleaveing stance