Build Questions from someone who hasn't played the beta.

Hi all,

After reading about 10+ threads and watching some videos I think I've narrowed down my initial class selection and was hoping for some input from people familiar with the beta/mechanics for some advice.

Traditionally I would play a wizard in RPGs. However, from what I saw casters are kinda weaker and I like Aloth enough as a character that I would want him in the party so having 2 wizards probably wouldn't pan out. If anyone has ideas on wizard multi classes that might work with another wizard in the party let me know. I didn't see any while looking around. 

Aside from wizard my thoughts were to create the 'melee dps' character of the party so I've been looking at one of the following:

Mindstalker (assassin/soulblade) - I like the changes I've seen to stealth and I love 'assassination style'. I would probably run this as dual wield obviously.

Inquisitor (soulblade/goldpact) - I'd love to run this build with a 2h. I know in general people are leaning toward dual sabres but from a 'look and feel' stance I feel like a 2h sword would be the 'coolest' look for this class. Is a 2h sword viable at all or are 2handers just completely out classed by single handed weapons.

Any insights anyone here can offer are appreciated. If you have other multiclass groups that might be similar I'd be willing to hear just about anything. So much of what I looked up might have been older information 

Edited by grukthar
  • Like 1

Traditionally I would play a wizard in RPGs. However, from what I saw casters are kinda weaker and I like Aloth enough as a character that I would want him in the party so having 2 wizards probably wouldn't pan out. If anyone has ideas on wizard multi classes that might work with another wizard in the party let me know. I didn't see any while looking around.

I don't think 2 wizards is particularly weak. You can pick spells that work well with each other. It's hard to say whether casters are weaker in general, but they did get progressively better throughout the beta. I don't believe they're just outclassed by martial classes.

Aside from wizard my thoughts were to create the 'melee dps' character of the party so I've been looking at one of the following:

Mindstalker (assassin/soulblade) - I like the changes I've seen to stealth and I love 'assassination style'. I would probably run this as dual wield obviously.

Inquisitor (soulblade/goldpact) - I'd love to run this build with a 2h. I know in general people are leaning toward dual sabres but from a 'look and feel' stance I feel like a 2h sword would be the 'coolest' look for this class. Is a 2h sword viable at all or are 2handers just completely out classed by single handed weapons.

Two-weapon style received a slight nerf for the release, and they weren't that much ahead of two-handers in general. I'd keep an eye out for skills that trigger a primary attack instead of full attack, since they work much better with a two-hander.

Edited by z_liquid

Unfortunately two weapon style isn't 'obviously' for assassination in Deadfire.   Backstab is a big multiplier and works best with high base damage.  So assassins run around with greatswords, pikes and big stuff like that.  

There are a lot of builds that favor dual weapons, but assassination isn't one of them.

Edited by Voss
  • Like 1

Unfortunately two weapon style isn't 'obviously' for assassination in Deadfire.   Backstab is a big multiplier and works best with high base damage.  So assassins run around with greatswords, pikes and big stuff like that.  

There are a lot of builds that favor dual weapons, but assassination isn't one of them.

That's not necessarily true - the soul annihilation ability and a lot of the rogue abilities are full attacks, which means that they attack with both equipped weapons simultaneously while dual wielding. A full attack and a primary attack are functionally the same for two-handers because there's only one primary weapon.

Or is there a difference between a primary attack and a full attack outside of dual wielding?

Edited by Purudaya

I want to choose Assassin but I don't really like pikes and greatswords. I hope there is some other way to play the class. Or maybe I could just use the talking sword or keep a bigger weapon in another slot.

If I choose Assassin/Evoker, I can "backstab" with my spells, right?

sign.jpg

I want to choose Assassin but I don't really like pikes and greatswords. I hope there is some other way to play the class. Or maybe I could just use the talking sword or keep a bigger weapon in another slot.

I made a proposal in beta forum to give a time window for backstabbing, it means every attack coming from stealth/invisible would be counted as a backstab in a short period of time.

I suggested the time window to be 0.5 sec, so u can do two backstab with full attack ability in this way.

Also u cannot backstab with spells, but u can assassinate with spells, spells get +50% crit damage when casted from stealth/invisible. So assassin/wizard is doable.

• Like 1

I made a proposal in beta forum to give a time window for backstabbing, it means every attack coming from stealth/invisible would be counted as a backstab in a short period of time.

I suggested the time window to be 0.5 sec, so u can do two backstab with full attack ability in this way.

Also u cannot backstab with spells, but u can assassinate with spells, spells get +50% crit damage when casted from stealth/invisible. So assassin/wizard is doable.

That is a really good suggestion! I hope they add it to the game.

sign.jpg

In the day since I’ve posted this I’ve been back and forth on what to do.

I think I’ve settled on playing a cipher and would like to use a 2h weapon. With that in mind I took look at psyblade (devoted/soul blade). The thought being that I could survive some melee combat while providing decent control and damage.

Does this sound reasonable? Is there a better candidate for 2h weapon cipher multiclass?