Anyone play around with this. I was thinking of continuing my POE1 character (Bleak Walker + Guns) with a Bleak Walker + Ascendant with blunderbusses to build focus real quick. 

Anything wrong with this idea on its face? High Dex/Per/Might/Int Might spread it too thin, although I don't know much about the stat distribution changes in PoE2.

Want to play a dragon in Deadfire?

Try my subclass mod here!
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/76

The variation of the Inquisitor that I played quite a lot during the beta was a Bleak Walker/Soul blade. Flames of devotion was extremely powerful during the beta, and basically allowed you to use FoD while dual wielding for massive full attack damage, and thus instantly generate quite a significant amount to focus and then proceed to dump this into soul annihilation. Due to the sheer damage of biting whip and full attacks while dual wielding, you could practically 1 shot most normal mobs in the beta, creating absolute murder sprees as you swing FoD into Soul annihilation, and repeat that sequence as long as you had Zeal. 

Unfortunately, both biting whip and Paladins FoD were nerfed a bit for the release.. but I still think that combo would be pretty strong. Does not really have that great AoE capabilities though unless you put a lot of points into such spells in the Cipher tree(and Sacred Immolation comes quite late). 

But to get back to your variation of the build; Yes that combo definitely works well. I do not know if blunderblusses interacts with focus regeneration the same way they did in PoE1(focus per hit), but you will definitely get a lot of from full attacks(since full attacks while dual wielding guns fires both of them). You will also get decent defenses from the Paladin tree... it is mostly a question of what spells you wanna dump all that focus into(since it is not soul annihilation), but there are quite a lot of nice stuff available. One thing of note is that multiclass Cipher also gets access to amplified wave(one of the strongest crowd control abilities in PoE1, imo), but now has a 3 second cast time. But should still be fully capable of chain-stunning entire rooms of enemies for laughs. 

Edited by Ciphys

Yeah +1 to that

My dual-wielding Inquisitor (also a Bleak Walker/Soulblade) was one of the strongest combos I tried in the beta. Even if nerfed in the release version I really don't think you could go wrong, although I haven't tried a firearm version

Edited by fortuntek

The variation of the Inquisitor that I played quite a lot during the beta was a Bleak Walker/Soul blade. Flames of devotion was extremely powerful during the beta, and basically allowed you to use FoD while dual wielding for massive full attack damage, and thus instantly generate quite a significant amount to focus and then proceed to dump this into soul annihilation. Due to the sheer damage of biting whip and full attacks while dual wielding, you could practically 1 shot most normal mobs in the beta, creating absolute murder sprees as you swing FoD into Soul annihilation, and repeat that sequence as long as you had Zeal. 

Unfortunately, both biting whip and Paladins FoD were nerfed a bit for the release.. but I still think that combo would be pretty strong. Does not really have that great AoE capabilities though unless you put a lot of points into such spells in the Cipher tree(and Sacred Immolation comes quite late). 

But to get back to your variation of the build; Yes that combo definitely works well. I do not know if blunderblusses interacts with focus regeneration the same way they did in PoE1(focus per hit), but you will definitely get a lot of from full attacks(since full attacks while dual wielding guns fires both of them). You will also get decent defenses from the Paladin tree... it is mostly a question of what spells you wanna dump all that focus into(since it is not soul annihilation), but there are quite a lot of nice stuff available. One thing of note is that multiclass Cipher also gets access to amplified wave(one of the strongest crowd control abilities in PoE1, imo), but now has a 3 second cast time. But should still be fully capable of chain-stunning entire rooms of enemies for laughs. 

Yeah, I was thinking about getting things that were low on cast-time/recovery to make the Ascendant worth it. From what I saw on the skills list, it looks like there's a few skills that are really fast on recovery time and cast time, making spamming those out really nice. My only concern is being so MAD with distributing my points.

Interesting to see what the numbers are for Inquisitor but it's definitely one of the better multiclasses even if the numbers aren't quite as good as the beta.

Question in my mind is how good the Ascendant variant is compared to Soul blade now, Ascendant multi class might have a lot of potential since you can just use your Paladin half of the equation to gain focus then cast your +3 power level spells.  

so I tried the bleakwakler/soul blade with the  dual wielding blunderbusts, with just another paladin as my tank in a  two man party. man this worked great and this is in the beta. The tank is using gilded enmity with goldpack knights, sworn rival and I never ran out of zeal. fun stuff, thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by grulag

I'm like 90 % sure of maining a dual wielding Soul Blade/Bleak Walker. Seems like a super solid combination. What are the primary stats for an Inquisitor?

Being new to the game, I'm not sure how to build my party around such a character.

Inquisitor (me)

Some kind of tank (Fighter or Paladin?)

Support/healer (Single class Priest?)

Caster/AoE DPS (Single class Wizard)

?

Appreciate all help and input!

• Like 1

I'm like 90 % sure of maining a dual wielding Soul Blade/Bleak Walker. Seems like a super solid combination. What are the primary stats for an Inquisitor?

Being new to the game, I'm not sure how to build my party around such a character.

Inquisitor (me)

Some kind of tank (Fighter or Paladin?)

Support/healer (Single class Priest?)

Caster/AoE DPS (Single class Wizard)

?

Appreciate all help and input!

i am going to take a wild stab and throw this out there, correct me if im wrong guys.

max might for the damage ofc

everything else equal, except int "semi low"/resolve put that low as possible. Now dex could be a good one but you must also consider that alot of paladin and cipher abilities are very fast to activate, but alot of other cipher abilites are around 3-4 secs, so its a tough call but i think rapid casting and around 13ish dex would be fine if you was going that route.

thats basicly how im goign to build my Inquisitor. However im going with great sword as melee and dual pistols as ranged, the buffs i can give myself should make up for any shortfall in accuracy and i get some nice boosts from them or is this a bad idea, any tips peoples ?.

Edited by Iceborg1307

I mean part of the point of Inquisitor is tankiness.  Class does a bit of everything therefore it's thirsty for all the stats, might is ofc maxed because might is might.

You basically want to dump intellect, maybe?  Then almost all the other stats you kind of do want.  

I mean part of the point of Inquisitor is tankiness.  Class does a bit of everything therefore it's thirsty for all the stats, might is ofc maxed because might is might.

You basically want to dump intellect, maybe?  Then almost all the other stats you kind of do want.  

nevermind i was wrong

Edited by Iceborg1307

I was pretty much set on going Holy Slayer for my first playthrough but damn, you guys are making me reconsider lol.

Interesting to see what the numbers are for Inquisitor but it's definitely one of the better multiclasses even if the numbers aren't quite as good as the beta.

Question in my mind is how good the Ascendant variant is compared to Soul blade now, Ascendant multi class might have a lot of potential since you can just use your Paladin half of the equation to gain focus then cast your +3 power level spells.  

Sounds interesting but I do wonder about the tradeoff - losing out on Soul Annihilation seems like a big deal, on top of dealing less damage with Soul Whip when not ascended, which means your FoD will deal less damage as well. SB just seems like the strongest choice for melee Ciphers, even more so for Inquisitors.

And I would agree that Intellect is the one attribute you can definitely dump a bit if you're going Soul Blade considering you will mostly be focussing on Shred abilities; it does seem more important for Ascendant and especially Beguiler though.

• Like 1

What makes you think that the point of the Inquisitor is for tankiness? There doesn't seem to be anything special with the combo vs single class Paladin that makes them more tanky.

I found a Soul Blade/Gold pact Inquisitor did very well in Beta. Gilded Enmity gets you a massive +4 armor and a nice accuracy and damage boost that is refundable when you kill the target which soul annihilation and FoD do quite well.

Made a great individual killer, you choose one enemy and kill him quickly then choose another and another ....

• Like 2

I feel like I've changed my mind regarding dual wielding, and would prefer a big two-hander. I think it's "worse", but is it still viable? Soul Annihilation should benefit from a two-hander, yes?

Almost time for release now!

2H is 100% viable just slightly less munchkiny.  

Just keep in mind that the nature of the beast is that the dual wield talents are helluva lot stronger than the 2h talents and go on your way

Edited by Urthor

how would you set up the attributes? focus on might, dex, int and some points into perception? Maybe Might 16, Dex 15, Per 12, Int 15?

looking at things like

sworn rival + gilded eminty

flames of devotion + upgrade

inspiring triumph

virtous triumph

retribution....

echoing horror

...i see some nice synergies

even things like FOD, scion of flame, eternal devotion, brand enemy might work well in combination with soul ignition from cipher maybe for a fire based ascendant

am i right assuming that for example borrowed instinct and zealous focus / exalted focus will not stack? since both are active abilities and gilded eminity doesn't seem to stack with zealous endurance

Edited by Nemesis7884

I decided to try a Bleak Walker/Soul Blade. But man I am hating it. I end up just picking up the paladin stuff and ignoring the Cipher almost completely. Kinda not what I wanted out of the class. :( The Soul Annihilation is nice when I run out of Paladin abilities, but I feel like this combo is just not doing for me. The Cipher abilities just have way too long of a recovery time to make them worth it.

I decided to try a Bleak Walker/Soul Blade. But man I am hating it. I end up just picking up the paladin stuff and ignoring the Cipher almost completely. Kinda not what I wanted out of the class. :( The Soul Annihilation is nice when I run out of Paladin abilities, but I feel like this combo is just not doing for me. The Cipher abilities just have way too long of a recovery time to make them worth it.

I thought the point was to predominantly use only soul annihilation and passives or buffs from cipher when using this combo with soul blade and invest mostly in pally skills...unless you make some kind of ascendent mage build

There's no passives or buffs in the Cipher tree that really make it worth it. The 4-5 second recovery time on most skills makes them really not worth using. I guess the Soul Whip is cool, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle of the lower power levels vs a pure paladin.