The problem with multiclassing / nerving

A single class character unlocks PL7 six (!) levels earlier, PL6 five levels earlier, PL5 four levels earlier and PL4 three levels earlier than a multiclass character. Those are some big differences. Throughout your entire playthrough, single class characters will be casting much higher level abilities.

I will add that when you multiclasses, you'll get only 2/1 abilities points for tier 7. Even if you don't consider tier 8-9 abilities, a MC will have most of their points at tier 1-5(6?) when a single class character can have more abilities around tier 5-7. Overall a single class will have more powerfull abilities/passives and a highter power level.

The question is does increased abilities cost justify them? My concern is that spamming low level abilities could be perhaps more effective?

But I think everyone agree rangers are the big loosers when it come to solo class (and rogues after?).

A single class character unlocks PL7 six (!) levels earlier, PL6 five levels earlier, PL5 four levels earlier and PL4 three levels earlier than a multiclass character. Those are some big differences. Throughout your entire playthrough, single class characters will be casting much higher level abilities.

I will add that when you multiclasses, you'll get only 2/1 abilities points for tier 7. Even if you don't consider tier 8-9 abilities, a MC will have most of their points at tier 1-5(6?) when a single class character can have more abilities around tier 5-7. Overall a single class will have more powerfull abilities/passives and a highter power level.

The question is does increased abilities cost justify them? My concern is that spamming low level abilities could be perhaps more effective?

But I think everyone agree rangers are the big loosers when it come to solo class (and rogues after?).

That is a good point. MC actually can't pick up all the goodies of both classes over PL5. I wish we get more info on how PL scales before. 

MC is still very good for those powerful frontloaded if one noted builds though, even the problem has a deeper root with how some classes are frontloaded to the extent where the PL0 class features make the build.

The more important question here I think is how much does a power level affect the strength of your skills, If single classing is adding 10-15% to the effect of your skills then that is the payoff vs extra resources, versatility and synergy of multi-classing.