Would just tell my boss I have a pretty bad case of diarrhea and I been unable to get off the toilet for the last half hour or so.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

This is why I find it strange that the entertainment industries in the US release things mid-week....

My guess, if something goes wrong at launch and needs asap fixing. chances are much better during the week than on a friday release.

I find it funny how many people resort to claiming diarrhea or other gross conditions to discourage questions lol

I feel like an experienced manager would see right through that... I certainly would

Not that it matters as long as you get to play Deadfire :D

I find it funny how many people resort to claiming diarrhea or other gross conditions to discourage questions lol

I feel like an experienced manager would see right through that... I certainly would

It's far more effective than say, vanishing powder that you have to throw and the ground because then people know you're messing with them. Not many people are going to ask what's going on with your intestines.  :dancing:

Yes! We have no bananas.

"Migraine" is the best route to go if you want to avoid grossing folks out.  Anybody who has experienced it will have immediate sympathy, folks won't fear you're contagious, and it's not suspicious if you look and act completely normal the next day. 

• Like 1

This is why I find it strange that the entertainment industries in the US release things mid-week. It encourages people to take time off/call in sick. Releasing on a Friday would make much more sense, IMO. You would still get people taking the day off, but who is productive on a Friday anyway.

Actually things used to release mid week everywhere.  It was Japan who started to buck the trend when they release a dragon quest (I think it was 4 maybe 5) and so many school kids wanted it, they were basically forced to shut shut down school that day because classes were literally empty.  Then they passed an actual law saying Dragon Quest could not release on a weekday.

And that is why most things release when they do, laws.  I bet if you dug in, there is probably a law saying when the US can release video games etc.

This is why I find it strange that the entertainment industries in the US release things mid-week....

My guess, if something goes wrong at launch and needs asap fixing. chances are much better during the week than on a friday release.

I assume this has to do with having dev team at work to be able to respond to issues that come up. instead of making everyone stay at work over the weekend. This is why we try to release builds mid week for sure. although we dont deal with external customers. 

Edited by draego

"Migraine" is the best route to go if you want to avoid grossing folks out.  Anybody who has experienced it will have immediate sympathy, folks won't fear you're contagious, and it's not suspicious if you look and act completely normal the next day. 

migraine is not a good option for us.  is known by colleagues Gromnir suffers from migraines with aura.

https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/understanding-migraine/migraine-and-aura/

had an incident on a plane a few years ago which caused a bit o' a panic before we could communicate we were not having a stroke. got a laminated card for such moments, but were a comic fail.  

we have migraine with aura and it means 3 days in a dark room wishing somebody would put us out of our misery, followed by a couple days of migraine hangover.  would be a week long excuse, if we were so inclined to mislead.

as to the thread question, am somewhat disappointed to admit we need only let folks know, "i am going to be out of the office for next few days," to get a couple days o' free time.  our relative importance to daily operations is a fraction 'bove insignificant.  take care o' our business and we get a fair bit of latitude.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I would not recommend lying to get out of professional responsibilities - lying is wrong and isn’t worth it.

So what I’m going to do is ACTUALLY EAT stuff that will give me diarrhea. Couple chipotle burritos and a chocolate milkshake should do the trick.

Edited by Frog Man
  • Like 3

migraine is not a good option for us.  is known by colleagues Gromnir suffers from migraines with aura.

https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/understanding-migraine/migraine-and-aura/

had an incident on a plane a few years ago which caused a bit o' a panic before we could communicate we were not having a stroke. got a laminated card for such moments, but were a comic fail.  

we have migraine with aura and it means 3 days in a dark room wishing somebody would put us out of our misery, followed by a couple days of migraine hangover.  would be a week long excuse, if we were so inclined to mislead.

as to the thread question, am somewhat disappointed to admit we need only let folks know, "i am going to be out of the office for next few days," to get a couple days o' free time.  our relative importance to daily operations is a fraction 'bove insignificant.  take care o' our business and we get a fair bit of latitude.

HA! Good Fun!

You shoud tell Gromnir to get medication. My mother have Migraine and got 3-5 days auras/headec/etc but she found a medicine that stops it within 5min now. I do belive it´s seratonin based but can check agen with her today.

I really should do that - for some reason when I have aphasia, the word 'aphasia' is always the first to go. A card that says 'I am not having a stroke, I just need to lie down in a dark room until tomorrow' could come in handy for those times my vocabulary spontaneously vanishes. I take other meds that preclude any serotonin-altering drugs, and nothing else seems to work, so I just have to put up with the occasional outbreak of weird lights, temporary blindness, aphasia, photo-sensitivity and general confusion. Lucky for me mine are 'silent' migraines so the pain is pretty much the only symptom I don't get.

I am also currently unemployed, so at least I will have lots of time to play Deadfire! Except I have a job network appointment on the morning of release day and I was (genuinely) sick and missed one a couple of weeks ago so I really have to go to this one. If the game releases at midnight, I am seriously contemplating just staying up all night so I can get in a few hours before I have to leave the house. (It has been nearly a year and they have not managed to find me any suitible employment yet, so the chances that this will be the week I actually need to pay attention seem slim.)

• Like 1

I really should do that - for some reason when I have aphasia, the word 'aphasia' is always the first to go. A card that says 'I am not having a stroke, I just need to lie down in a dark room until tomorrow' could come in handy for those times my vocabulary spontaneously vanishes. I take other meds that preclude any serotonin-altering drugs, and nothing else seems to work, so I just have to put up with the occasional outbreak of weird lights, temporary blindness, aphasia, photo-sensitivity and general confusion. Lucky for me mine are 'silent' migraines so the pain is pretty much the only symptom I don't get.

I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how difficult and uncomfortable it must be handling something like that on a daily basis.

Hope it gets better - for both of you guys.

is known by colleagues Gromnir suffers from migraines with aura.

[link]

we have migraine with aura and it means 3 days in a dark room wishing somebody would put us out of our misery, followed by a couple days of migraine hangover.

I'm sorry to hear that. My sister in law has the same thing and it cuts me to the quick. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often. I wish for both of you that medicine can come up with a better treatment soon.

Edit: same goes to Andraste. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how difficult and uncomfortable it must be handling something like that on a daily basis.

Hope it gets better - for both of you guys.

Thank you - luckily mine are relatively rare as well as non-painful. (I just won the jackpot on aura symptoms.) These days I only get half a dozen a year or so , which could definitely be worse!

• Like 1