* Spoiler* - How can you come back as a champion of _____ if you're a priest of another god?

I also vaguely remember some lore about how reincarnating in the same body with the same memories is a long lost ability of sufficiently powerful animancers. The only reason Thaos can do it is because he's been around so long.

Thaos did still have to go through childhood each time. It’s a little different than being put back into the same adult body.

Other than getting a 15 or 16 year (or so) vacation every now and then, not sure why it matters. He still comes back to commit 'godly' atrocities in the name of his bizarre and baseless fear of godless atrocities, because those are magically worse. Not that it was ever established that any had really happened yet- he sort of pre-emptively pulled the war of religion card before anyone else could.

• Like 1

I think this post highlights my biggest disappointing start for any game... ever... here with Pillars of Eternity 2.

I make a copy of my PoE 1 character, a Priest of Eothas, and imported my previously saved campaign.

I watch the intro. I meet Berath. S/he tells me that Eothas has returned and they don't know his intentions. I respond that I want to find out also.

Berath says I have to be their champion. I say no (because I'm a Priest of Eothas).

Then I lose the game and get end credits. Not even 20 minutes played. I'm very much not joking. The game is simply over if you don't accept.

I literally sighed and closed the game, then went and played Civ: Beyond Earth. I haven't tried again yet with PoE 2.

I thought today was going to be an awesome launch, but getting sandbagged into being Berath's champion is a serious downer for me.

• Like 1

I don't see why being a priest of Eothas means you can't do jobs for the other gods too... you already had to do at least one at the Council of Stars in PoE anyway. And Berath has you over a barrel, you are completely at his/her mercy, and he/she is doing you a solid just keeping you alive.

• Like 2

I don't see why being a priest of Eothas means you can't do jobs for the other gods too... you already had to do at least one at the Council of Stars in PoE anyway. And Berath has you over a barrel, you are completely at his/her mercy, and he/she is doing you a solid just keeping you alive.

I don't really see it as Berath having you over the barrel.

It's a simple choice. Do you want to play Pillars of Eternity 2? Accept following Berath. Do you want to see the end credits and play something else? Do not follow Berath.

Oh well.

• Like 1

Being a 'Champion', as far as I've understood it, just means you are working for/with that particular god for X purpose. At the end of PoE 1, you can technically be a Champion of Galawain, Hylea, Berath, and Rymgrand. 

If you do the 'Berath' storyline before facing Raedric, and when he proclaims to be such a Champion, you can retort that you are the same. He's startled, and it's almost like he regains a bit of honor before the fight starts. 

*double checks to see if this is the spoiler thread* So yeah, even though your faith belongs to X, seeing as how Berath stops you from dying to do their/her/his bidding, you can be called the Champion of Berath in this instance. And still draw your power and faith from another god/goddess.

• Like 1

I think this post highlights my biggest disappointing start for any game... ever... here with Pillars of Eternity 2.

I make a copy of my PoE 1 character, a Priest of Eothas, and imported my previously saved campaign.

I watch the intro. I meet Berath. S/he tells me that Eothas has returned and they don't know his intentions. I respond that I want to find out also.

Berath says I have to be their champion. I say no (because I'm a Priest of Eothas).

Then I lose the game and get end credits. Not even 20 minutes played. I'm very much not joking. The game is simply over if you don't accept.

I literally sighed and closed the game, then went and played Civ: Beyond Earth. I haven't tried again yet with PoE 2.

I thought today was going to be an awesome launch, but getting sandbagged into being Berath's champion is a serious downer for me.

Not to sound rude or anything, but if a plot device that's there to keep you from completely ignoring the plot is a dealbreaker for you, then I wonder where you have been for like ninety percent of games over the last twenty years or so.

It wouldn't even have been surprising if they had cut off your capability for choice right off the bat, MoTB Kelemvor-style. Incidentally, this is also how things transpired in the beginning of PoE 1. In PoE 2, you may not like the setup, but nevertheless, the fact remains that you can refuse the offer that is thrust upon you - with all the consequences such decision would entail. Being sent back to the Wheel isn't exactly an illogical outcome from an in-universe perspective.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2

People seem to have quite a difficult time accepting polytheism... ;)

Being a cleric of one god, or the champion of another, or praying to a third, or making sacrifices or pilgrimages in the name of a fourth, doesn't mean you have to somehow deny the existence, power, or divinity of any of the others. You can do all those things simultaneously, and that's perfectly normal (as far as being the champion of a god is "normal"...)

Edited by Varana
  • Like 2

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I don't really see it as Berath having you over the barrel.

It's a simple choice. Do you want to play Pillars of Eternity 2? Accept following Berath. Do you want to see the end credits and play something else? Do not follow Berath.

Oh well.

It *is* Berath having you over a barrel. Do this or die is pretty much the entirety of her argument.

Nothing requires you to follow Berath. You don't have to build temples, convert the heathens or anything beyond chase the statue.

All things considered (the watcher knows things about the gods she shouldn't and can learn more secrets), killing the Watcher off is actually the more rational course of action.

Edited by Voss
  • Like 1

Think of it more like "champions" in the sense of medieval tournaments. When a noble Lord/Lady was challenged, they wouldn't enter the arena and fight to the death on their own, they would bring a champion to fight for them. 

This champion did not have to be from their house or lands, didn't have to have any other relation to them other than that they were there to put their lives on the line for the sake of their patron Lord/Lady. 

In much the same way you are the "champion" of Berath. You are fighting on Berath's behalf whether or not you have any loyalty to them beyond that. 

Edited by Witness41920