I always liked the idea of focusing everything on deflection with my rogue and starting combat with a backstab and then let every enemy try to attack me while I deflect and counterattack everything like some kind of dodge tank.

So I was wondering if anything even remotely viable can be done in Pillars 2. Maybe when multi-classed. I haven't played the beta or anything so I don't know that much what's available and possible this time around.

Somewhere in these forums there is a great riposte-type tank build, but it doesn't use the rogue riposte, it uses the monk's soul mirror and blade turning abilities. I think it was an Unbroken/Nalpaszca. One of Boerer's, if I recall. Looks better than riposte, since riposte only works on a total miss. Blade turning can turn more than just misses.

Yes, that was mine.

Riposte is crap again - after is was ok in PoE after some patches. Only works in 20% of misses.

With Blade Turning you'll reflect all incoming melee damage and with Soul Mirror some ranged attacks as well.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Looks better than riposte, since riposte only works on a total miss.

Seems even then it doesn't always work, judging from tooltip. Says it just has a chance. This would be a cool build though, so I hope OP makes it work. Without involving monks, I'm not a fan of monks.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

If they modify Riposte so it procs more often I can see it being an interesting experiment, but till then I wouldn't bother building around it. On the other hand you could just build a very solid, tanky swashbuckler (Streetfighter/Unbroken jumps to mind), give him Riposte, and see what happens. 

Edited by Mack

You could multiclass rogue with wizard and pick a bonus deflection spell like arcane veil to work with riposte. Kinda tempted to turn my Aloth into that, just to see how it would work.

If they modify Riposte so it procs more often I can see it being an interesting experiment, but till then I wouldn't bother building around it. On the other hand you could just build a very solid, tanky swashbuckler (Streetfighter/Unbroken jumps to mind), give him Riposte, and see what happens.

You'd really need a shield with bashing and focus a lot more on offensive attributes. Full attack from just a primary weapon won't do too much I think.

With a dagger you can also get to quite high deflection values - don't necessarily need a shield. But the 20% on misses is just bad. 

Blade Turning works on 100% of all grazes/hits/crits while Riposte works only on 20% of all misses - so in theory this could be stacked I guess. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods