So apparently we'll have a fair bit of game content to play around with abilities at max level (More if we're completionists) which I think is a good thing.

The thing is... quests feel a lot more satisfying when you're still leveling up.

Would it be possible to have additional milestones that have a much smaller effect?

I.e. How much would additional power levels be likely to affect abilities at high levels.
      +1 to one of the defenses
      I'd suggest additional health although I don't think we need even more reason to dump con.

Obviously this would be post release, and optional, I.e. you tick "allow over leveling" in the options menu

Edited by Erik Dirk

in POE1 I  was max level 1/2 through the game. The problem with CRPG is that they are tied so hard to this idea of you cant go over this level of power (until the first DLC  increases the level cap by 5 just so everyone has incentive to buy it)

So apparently we'll have a fair bit of game content to play around with abilities at max level (More if we're completionists) which I think is a good thing.

Where does this information come from? Latest stream?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Time for the paragon levels make his way into Deadfire!

No. No no no no. Nope, not happening. Don't even think about it. Not in this game. Just no.

No.

Well, keep in mind that there's no farming in pillars so there is a maximum possible xp.

I'm more interested in the illusion of progressing my character/s if I complete side quests, with a small random (but pre-determined bonus), I.e +1% cold resistance every 3000xp 

@Boeroer I may have unintentionally exaggerated with my wording but pretty sure Josh mentioned that there would be plenty of high level content to test abilities even if you aren't a completionist. I hit the level cap halfway through the white march in POE1

I think they said that during the Fig campaign (enough high-level content to enjoy high-level abilities) and during one of the QA streams (if you do everything, you max out before the end.) Just going by memory.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Time for the paragon levels make his way into Deadfire!

No. No no no no. Nope, not happening. Don't even think about it. Not in this game. Just no.

No.

How about prestige classes?

How about lootboxes? Pride and acomplishment.

I seriously don't get why people dislike prestige classes so much. :wacko:

I don't know. The idea never appealed to me. Changing your class midway through always felt wanky too me and unnecessary overcomplication. Ieven didn't like the dual class system of the D&D 2nd. There is something about class system, which I feet should be a more long term definition of my character - like race or background. Not something you learn in couple of days. Changing a class midway through playthrough always rang false to me, even if it was an extansion my by base role. Did my fighter in DA really just learn to be a templar by talking to Alistair?  

I wouldn't hate it, if the "feeling the bucket" was constant, but for me the sound of lvling up was never a motivation to do things in RPGs. That's how I feel about MMOs but that's also why I don't like those. To me lvling up is about defining my character. There is a limit up to which I can define it, and that's fine with me. I have trouble imagening a good, infinite leveling system, but that doesn't mean such system can't exist. 

I feel that boiling the levelip up system to "filling the bucket up for rewards" is missing the point, but, of course, what I enjoy the system, and what others enjoy about the system can be completely different. I never enjoyed Diablo, Torchlight or other such games for a reason.

• Like 2

I was really thinking something smaller with minimal developer effort to implement and not going to make over leveled characters too powerful, perhaps additional skills points athletics, alchemy etc. (Not ability points)

How about lootboxes? Pride and acomplishment.

I seriously don't get why people dislike prestige classes so much. :wacko:

I love DnD prestige classes, if they had that system, I would be all for it... .Diablo 3 bs no  thanks, or even worse ESO :D

• Like 1

The problem with D&D's prestige classes was that they were by and large outright better in every respect than the base 20 level classes. Which lead to you getting these ridiculous munchkin builds composed of a huge variety of prestige classes to build the most insanely overpowered characters you could get. I remember seeing one guy playing a character composed of no less than nine different classes at level 15 (2 base classes and 7 prestige classes), all to take advantage of some broken combinations that were never intended to work together but nonetheless did because in late 3.5 edition there were literally hundreds of classes to choose from and accounting for all the combinations would be impossible. That's the main reason why D&D's prestige classes were so reviled, although I'm not against the system in general. Prestige classes simply shouldn't be outright better than base classes, instead they should be "prestigious" and be focused on specific concepts that don't really fit base classes. Good prestige classes in my opinion are the Arcane Archer or Mystic Theurge.