are we getting a vorpal sword or holy avenger?

We already had St. Ydwen's Redeemer (which was cool). Better come up with something else (in other words: new) now. Since the last stream (from Obsidian with Andy showing his a-game ;)) I have high hopes for unique weapons in Deadfire.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

D&D IP doesn't apply since neither of those weapons originated in D&D originally. Vorpal sword comes from a poem by Lewis Carrol called "Jabberwocky", holy avenger is just a generic term D&D uses to describe a paladin weapon that is more powerful against evil creatures.

But... I also hope neither of those makes it into Pillars, vorpal because it's a save-or-die effect which is boring, and holy avenger because paladins aren't explicitly religious like they are in D&D. Although you could argue that St. Ydwen's Redeemer from White March Part 1 is kind of a holy avenger, except that it slays vessels rather than evil creatures.

• Like 2

We already had St. Ydwen's Redeemer (which was cool). Better come up with something else (in other words: new) now. Since the last stream (from Obsidian with Andy sjowing his a-game ;)) I have high hopes for unique weapons in Deadfire.

At one point I almost backed to create a weapon, I was going to call it the "Puissant Orator".  The description was going to be based around some of the arguments from the forum, it would be a pistol, and imply the owner of it always won their debates.  Mostly because they would shoot the other person dead with it.

• Like 6

Ha, you should have done it. I thought about backing a cat o' nine tails (aka the melee blunderbuss) - but then they said that they won't do custom models but you only should "design" a weapon that can go onto one of their models. Meh... 

Then they did a broom...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Ha, you should have done it. I thought about backing a cat o' nine tails (aka the melee blunderbuss) - but then they said that they won't do custom models but you only should "design" a weapon that can go onto one of their models. Meh... 

Then they did a broom...

Well to be fair the broom is basically a quarter staff :p

but then they said that they won't do custom models but you only should "design" a weapon that can go onto one of their models. Meh...

Otherwise there would be a macuahuitl in the game now :( *sniff* ;(

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

but then they said that they won't do custom models but you only should "design" a weapon that can go onto one of their models. Meh...

There better still be one *hmph*

• Like 1

I mean, there could be one now?  A Macuahuiti is really just a club with sharpened spikes in it to be honest.  You could fit it in the sword or one hand mace group.

A cat o' nine tails would also have fit into the flail group. That was not the problem I think.

They simply said that they can't do unique models for every backer item - which i understand. The tier was only 750$ if I remember correctly. Not too much money for creating an item model and texture, putting in description and eventually coding and testing special effects.

• Like 1

Speaking of unique weapons I hope if we get soul bound ones they are earlier in the game and not near the end when you don't need them or already have other weapons. It would feel more satisfying plot wise to have had a weapon travel with you from near the beginning of the game than getting what feels like an after thought or foot note weapon. By the time I got Ydwin's redeemer I already had the The Flames of Fair Rhian and the sword of Endless paths. Since a soul bound weapon needs to be built up it would be easier to do near the beginning. 

There wasn't much game left to level the Ydwin's redeemer or other soul bound weapons in the White Marsh. Poor Maneha was stuck in a quest because I literally had nothing left to do other than jump down the Sun in Shadow pit. 

• Like 1

suggested weapon:

callahan's cannon  

a pistol which may only be wielded one-handed (no dual-wield) and on crits does extra damage and knocks folks prone.  the pistol has a damage bonus v. foes current using intoxicants and against any nalpazca single or multiclass.  finally, the weapon has a chance to insta-kill any targeted creature who puts ketchup on a hot dog.

HA! God Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)