[POTD Difficulty] Launch NOT tuned discussion thread

So just like BG, IWD, the first PoE, etc. Granted, Deadfire is much easier to abuse.

Yeah, this. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure why people are singling out POE 2 for being too easy. I wouldn't be able to name a crpg that's harder than POE 1 & 2.

Because it's new and people keep increasing expectation as they play new games.

cRPG hasn't really been well known for its difficulty because this kind of playstyle only gets you once because you lack information. It's like how Darkest Dungeon is hard because you have to be either extremely unlucky or have bad comp. The moment you know what you're getting into and always stick to the same playstyle, it becomes derps easy.

PoE is no different, 1 or 2. PoE 2 just give the player more freedom and the hardcore player hates that. Majority of the changes demanded are more of a "I want PoE 2 to be PoE 1 again, just with flashier graphic".

While I mostly agree on the general cRPG issue, Deadfire is kinda different because they managed to design plenty memorable fights in the first game. So yeah, we would like to have experiences like these again.

I just re-played PoE and I felt challenged in so many fights. Reaching as deep as I could in Endless paths at low levels, facing raedric, dragons, bounties, archmagi, spores, ondrites... 

Give me a break, I beat PoE 1 on Hard a couple of weeks ago with a straight fighter doing nothing but auto attack and letting the AI handle the companions. The combat was slower and less flashy, but it wasn't hard at all, just more tedious.

BG is only hard the first time you play it due to the clusterf*ck that the AD&D rules are. After that it's a cake walk without mods like SCS.

Well I've never tried either PoE on other difficulties, so I can't really comment on the difference there, but I found Deadfire PotD to be so much easier than PoE1 PotD, that I can barely compare the two. I don't want to sound like I'm exaggerating here, but I find it difficult to believe anyone would disagree. PoE1 PotD is actually sometimes very challenging and engaging, sometimes just faceroll, but so is every RPG as pointed out earlier, but Deadfire was just a stomp, no personal input required (after maybe level 9). It's like two different worlds.

BG I find kind of hard to value here, probably shouldn't have brought it up. It's been such a long time since I've played it without SCS and I play it with so many mods anyhow, that it's so far from the original game it would be impossible to gauge the original difficulty level from my recent experiences. Also it's a kind of a weird example since the game is mostly about knowing what you're going to fight next and knowing the spellbooks and consumables through and through to be able to prepare for that. If you know what you're doing it's a cake walk and if you don't it feels outright unfair.

Edited by tela2k
  • Like 2

PotD in this game is easier than PoE1 on normal. Your expectations of difficulty are actually higher than the reality.

I suspect PotD right now is basically the normal difficulty.  Or maybe it is the same but there are a couple extra mobs or something.

Either way people should just wait for them to patch it, they have already said they will be doing so.  Also can we take a moment to admit Eternity 1 was not a shining beacon of good challenge either?  The start of the game was front loaded with encounters that were if anything, a little too challenging considering your limited access to things, and by end game everything was still fairly easy.

• Like 1

So just like BG, IWD, the first PoE, etc. Granted, Deadfire is much easier to abuse.

Yeah, this. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure why people are singling out POE 2 for being too easy. I wouldn't be able to name a crpg that's harder than POE 1 & 2.

Maybe you had a different experience, but mine was fast mode auto combat. PoE1 is much more difficult, not even comparable at the moment. BG-trilogy is more difficult even without mods. D:OS is definitely much more difficult, although it did suffer from crazy power creep. The Witcher games are way more difficult, even the 3rd game and even in the end since you still, no matter how OP you are, have to dodge those instagibs and spam that fast attack till your fingers bleed. I was literally away from keyboard fast moding boss fights in Deadfire on the hardest difficulty. There is no doubt it's badly borked at the moment, hence all these threads about it.

Give me a break, I beat PoE 1 on Hard a couple of weeks ago with a straight fighter doing nothing but auto attack and letting the AI handle the companions. The combat was slower and less flashy, but it wasn't hard at all, just more tedious.

BG is only hard the first time you play it due to the clusterf*ck that the AD&D rules are. After that it's a cake walk without mods like SCS.

PoE 1 on PoTD is a much harder game than PoE2. This is unquestionable. Also, you found the combat slower? I think in PoE2 the combat is slower, and having a smaller party also contributes to that.

Edited by Taurus

BG I find kind of hard to value here, probably shouldn't have brought it up. It's been such a long time since I've played it without SCS and I play it with so many mods anyhow, that it's so far from the original game it would be impossible to gauge the original difficulty level from my recent experiences.

At some point while playing BG2 I realized that instead of utilizing the multitude of options my large party gave me every encounter, the most efficient and straightforward way to clear stuff was to stack a bunch of strong enchanted gear on a high strength fighter and use the rest of the party as buffbots to empower this individual. Improved haste + various CC immunity spells trivializes most content in the base game, from golems to beholders to archmages to dragons.

In PoE 1/it feels different because combats often involve huge packs of enemies, so AoE becomes king. Ekera, Tekehu has carried more fights than any other party member just by casting Returning/Relentless Storm at the start of combat.

• Like 3

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

So veteran is pretty easy for me, but I have not ramped it up to PoTD cause Josh said it was not ready.  Has anyone tried it out?  How unbalanced is it?  What makes it not ready?

Have gun will travel.

Waiting for them to balance difficulty too before playing second time.
Would be great if some dev would respond when will the balance patch actually come.

Edited by Farsha

I personally don't find it AS EASY as most people seem to claim it is, but that might be the fact that i suck at real-time combat systems like that of Pillars (i'm much better at turn-based strategy)

Veteran was way too easy though.

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 1

BG I find kind of hard to value here, probably shouldn't have brought it up. It's been such a long time since I've played it without SCS and I play it with so many mods anyhow, that it's so far from the original game it would be impossible to gauge the original difficulty level from my recent experiences.

At some point while playing BG2 I realized that instead of utilizing the multitude of options my large party gave me every encounter, the most efficient and straightforward way to clear stuff was to stack a bunch of strong enchanted gear on a high strength fighter and use the rest of the party as buffbots to empower this individual. Improved haste + various CC immunity spells trivializes most content in the base game, from golems to beholders to archmages to dragons.

In PoE 1/it feels different because combats often involve huge packs of enemies, so AoE becomes king. Ekera, Tekehu has carried more fights than any other party member just by casting Returning/Relentless Storm at the start of combat.

Well that was any druid with storm spells in PoE 1 or 2 lmao

Have gun will travel.

Waiting for them to balance difficulty too before playing second time.

Would be great if some dev would respond when will the balance patch actually come.

I don't know if your are lucky or vice versa. I am waiting for balancing before playing the first time. And I really want to put PoE2 aside and completely forget about it till the balance patch is out. So the date would be appreciated.

This forum is full of critics about the lack of difficulty in Deadfire...

So the good answer is PoTD( and Hard) are like Normal difficulty in PoE1, a pretty walk in the forest with a sunny weather.

Even with enemy scaling? 

This forum is full of critics about the lack of difficulty in Deadfire...

So the good answer is PoTD( and Hard) are like Normal difficulty in PoE1, a pretty walk in the forest with a sunny weather.

Even with enemy scaling?

Well... Yeah. I'm not one of the forum elites here who want a crazy chellenge all the time and I've found the vast majority ii for it to be very easy. Oh you will have challenging encounters from time to time but that seems to mostly be for designed encounters, not scaled ones

The only challenging encounters are those which are way higher level than you are. Devs are working or rebalancing POTD and Veteran but it will be a while before patch is out. Right now game is a cakewalk, even on harder difficulies.

I started playing with level scaling off due to the initial bugs but i dont want to restart the game to set it on. Is there anyway to fix this?

I know how that can be done with console. But i try to do that only in version 1.0, so scaling wos turned on and do nothing XD ind how it work now.

But u can do (console command - Difficulty)

1)

Difficulty Easy

or 

Difficulty Normal

2)

change location

check in meny - scaling is turn on? if yes

3) 

Difficulty PathOfTheDamned

4) change location

https://steamcommunity.com/games/560130/announcements/detail/1657767648992932225

"You'll find more enemies per encounter." :dancing:

Also, somebody asked if we could change a character's hair, but I can't find that thread:

"Lastly, the team is also adding new cosmetic options for player customization with the ability to change character appearance at any time."

sign.jpg