[POTD Difficulty] Launch NOT tuned discussion thread

Once I got to level 11+ there were no challenging fights anymore. Even though I forced the "scaler" on in all areas. Even fights I remembered as being difficult in previous non-PotD playthroughs, like the lich and the adra dragon, were pretty easy (although those ones were not in upscaled areas). And I'm not even trying to get the best character builds and party composition.

• Like 2

There was one fight that got me repeatedly. The ogres in Stalwart. I was 6th level at the time. Had to come back later at 7th level when I had access to 4th level spells.

Edited by Haran

It's your meta knowledge and your improved knowledge around the mechanics. Happens to all of us. :)

Try solo PoTD next!

I started playing solo POTD. That would take a really long time to finish imo. So much micromanagement.

You would have to be a special kind of person to sit down and do that to completion. Not for me.

It's only tedious in the beginning and starts to get easier (or more smooth) once you reach Defiance Bay where you can get a lot of levels without fighting.

There are classes/builds which are easier in the beginning (fighter, monk) as well. Especially monk makes for an rel. easy early game.

And if you are a rogue, specializing in stealth and solving quests in a "peaceful" way (aka sneaking around) this can also be fun and has its challenges without being too frustrating because of the fighting.

Of course the hefty encounters like dragons and bounties are still very hefty.

But yes, in the beginning it's a lot of tactics and running, sometimes spiltting and micromanagement.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I recommend using less than a full party. Try a party of four to start. I actually found that quite fun. You focus more on what everyone is doing in a given role and all actions become more important.

It is one of the reasons I think the move to a five character party was the correct one.

• Like 1

Good idea, I might try that. Currently I'm just refraining as much as possible from leveling up or resting. The latter brought about the discovery that potions of vital essence can heal your health, significantly increasing the number of fights I can take before resting. Sadly and annoyingly, they can only be used during combat.

I finally met my match with the Magran's Faithful bounty. Mind you, I stayed at level 9 despite having enough XP for level 14. I did eventually manage to beat them after I realized the accuracy bonuses from Scroll of Valor, Holy Radiance and Devotion for the Faithful stack (+45), as well as the defense penalties from Shining Beacon and Enervating Terror (-35 will and fortitude).

I have to say, that I agree with you Haran. The game is rather easy even on PotD if you know what you are doing. I just did the battle of Yenwood with a level 8 party, without any big preparation whatsoever (during the battle I thought it would've been nice to use some of those potions and scrolls that keep on stacking in my treasure chest - but, oh well ... ) That's not to say it wasn't a really fun battle! Had me from "pfff this is easy" to "wow I don't think I'm gonna make it" over to "maye ... just maybe ..." and finally to "MUHAHAHA, take this Ramsey Bolton, erm I mean Lord Gathbin" Probably took me about half an hour because of all the micro management. But it paid off, none of my characters died and it felt really really satisfying to win this one. So basically the way I harden the game for myself (as I don't like to slim down on my party) is to not make use of potions, meals, scrolls and such all to often. I would however have expected that in order to best PotD you need to make use of EVERY mechanic the game has to offer. So it's kinda strange that I don't even need this. I love it in BG when one single potion of Ice Giant Strength makes the difference of life and death. But anyway, just wanted to tell you about my epic battle lolz.

• Like 1

I finally met my match with the Magran's Faithful bounty. Mind you, I stayed at level 9 despite having enough XP for level 14. I did eventually manage to beat them after I realized the accuracy bonuses from Scroll of Valor, Holy Radiance and Devotion for the Faithful stack (+45), as well as the defense penalties from Shining Beacon and Enervating Terror (-35 will and fortitude).

Magran's faithful bounty on PoTD is an insanely hard fight. It's actually worse if you have a smaller party because the casters in the back spam firebug and will annihilate a small team. Forget about stacking reflex they have so much accuracy it doesn't matter lol. I found the only way to beat this on PoTD was to quickly lock down the casters in the back to stop them from casting firebug and then drop a symbol of magran to blind then a venombloom etc. Then send a barb in and heart of fury them down xD

Apologies and all credit to whoever wrote this play order, but I found this a useful self gimping guide, pre-WM part 2.

"Do the following but don't level up past 4:
Act I areas (Raedric's Hold final fight maybe level 5)
Endless Paths levels 1 and 2

Do the following but don't level up past 5:
Early Defiance Bay quests

Do the following but don't level up past 6:
Most of the Act II areas with few exceptions mentioned in next bullet. This is a kinda dull period because there is a lot of content with no meaningful party progress.
Endless Paths levels 3 to 6

Do the following but don't level up past 7:
Searing Falls and Pearlwood Bluff. Skaen Temple.
Stormwall Gorge incl. Lle a Rhemen 

Do the following but don't level up past 9:
Stalwart, Russetwood (enter WM I at level to 9 in order to scale up the content)
Endless Paths level 7

Do the following but don't level up past 11:
Durgan's Battery
Endless Paths levels 8 to 10

Do the following but don't level up past 13:
Longwatch Falls 
Endless Paths levels 11 to 13
Scaled WM II content? (not been there yet)
Scaled Act III? (not been there yet)

Remaining levels:
Crägholdt
Endless Paths levels 14 to 15
Scaled Act IV"

I just did the pirate cipher bounty. These backstabbers and illusionists are insanely powerful. And they get constant healing from those shanty singers. The boss himself is the least of your troubles (was true in the Magran bounty as well).

Despite that, after several tries and the use of many scrolls and items, I was able to defeat them without leveling up past 9th level. Which means that yes, I defeated wizards casting 8th level spells while only having 5th level spells myself.

And I didn't even build the perfect party. It's just my priest of Eothas, which I chose in the hopes (now totally dashed) of having lots of interesting interactions, and the 5 NPCs you meet first: Aloth, Eder, Durance, Kana and Sagani.

Magran's faithful bounty on PoTD is an insanely hard fight. It's actually worse if you have a smaller party because the casters in the back spam firebug and will annihilate a small team. Forget about stacking reflex they have so much accuracy it doesn't matter lol. I found the only way to beat this on PoTD was to quickly lock down the casters in the back to stop them from casting firebug and then drop a symbol of magran to blind then a venombloom etc. Then send a barb in and heart of fury them down xD

I used summons to take the damage, and confusion to turn them on each other.

• Like 1

I just did the pirate cipher bounty. These backstabbers and illusionists are insanely powerful. And they get constant healing from those shanty singers. The boss himself is the least of your troubles (was true in the Magran bounty as well).

Despite that, after several tries and the use of many scrolls and items, I was able to defeat them without leveling up past 9th level. Which means that yes, I defeated wizards casting 8th level spells while only having 5th level spells myself.

And I didn't even build the perfect party. It's just my priest of Eothas, which I chose in the hopes (now totally dashed) of having lots of interesting interactions, and the 5 NPCs you meet first: Aloth, Eder, Durance, Kana and Sagani.

Play Triple Crown at this point.  You have died repeated times correct?  I think at this point this will be your challenge.  It is not that you cannot win the fights of course you can but can you win every big fight throughout a play through without making mistakes and dying.  Cause there is no reload.  Have fun at Cilant Lis after an 80 hour play through but you played to late into the night and botched Lllengrath.

Have gun will travel.

I used summons to take the damage, and confusion to turn them on each other.

And ya confuse annihilates these guys.  Also although they have high ACC front liners with a scroll of protection or Circle of Protection will not get hit very hard with fire bug.  my back line had a great defense also.  Aloth as an illusionist is unhittable and durance with weapon and shield style + Circle of Protection can be defensive enough to only take hits or grazes for a bit.

In a game with no agro a lot of people build back liner glass cannons.  I think these are type of characters that have issues in these type of fights.  Vancian casters have the ability to be both good defensively and offensively. Especially wizards.  A druid storm tank with a preservation enchant is a god.  A priest with a large shield and Weapon and shield style can switch while hes being focused and then go back to offense attack mode for more ACC when he/she has breathing room.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Play Triple Crown at this point.  You have died repeated times correct?  I think at this point this will be your challenge.  It is not that you cannot win the fights of course you can but can you win every big fight throughout a play through without making mistakes and dying.  Cause there is no reload.  Have fun at Cilant Lis after an 80 hour play through but you played to late into the night and botched Lllengrath.

Yeah, no thanks. Sounds like too much of a chore. I want to have fun too

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I mean, every encounter is mapped out and you know about every spell, stat, item, etc. If you know everything about the game is simply has to be easy unless it's impossible or random chance plays a larger factor.

You simply have to find ways to challenge yourself. Try playing without Confusion/Dominate spells. Try playing with no magic or enchanted items. Etc.

• 1 month later...

Once I got to level 11+ there were no challenging fights anymore. Even though I forced the "scaler" on in all areas. Even fights I remembered as being difficult in previous non-PotD playthroughs, like the lich and the adra dragon, were pretty easy (although those ones were not in upscaled areas). And I'm not even trying to get the best character builds and party composition.

While it is definitely true that Path of the Damned is too easy it isn't really for the reasons people think, not even Mr. Boeroer (of course this is a part of the reason)

It's your meta knowledge and your improved knowledge around the mechanics. Happens to all of us. :)

Try solo PoTD next!

During the early game PotD is somewhat challenging. For people who have a deep understanding of the game even still it isn't pushing them but you can't just faff about, you have to try. But then because the XP was never properly balanced you end up outleveling everything, leading to encounters turning into jokes where you steamroll everything.

One thing I have tried that helps is rolling with a smaller party, like only four party members. It helps bring more balance. Try leaving out your most effective companions, try no priest. It forces you to adapt somewhat.

They have said they will balance the XP much better in Deadfire to avoid this problem.

No. PotD  is too easy for a full party if you did some playthroughs before.

It's because you have good meta-knowledge (you know where to expect which enemies and you know what they are vulnerable to and so on) and usually you know the game's mechanics in and out after some runs. So you can always choose a very effctive approach for each encounter. You will know that accuracy + hard CC is the most important thing in this game and trivializes most encounters. This makes most of the game very easy even on PotD. Only exception is the early game where you don't have a lot of resources - which also isn't very hard but more difficult than Act II + following.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods