Classic style RPGs in development

I know some people are worried because of what Josh Sawyer said about the future of RPG. So I thought I'd go over my list of games I'm keeping an eye on and see, which of them might appeal to fans of the IE games, the old Fallout, Ultima, or Shadowrun Returns. I haven'T included Deadfire, because we all know about it already, anyway. I also haven't includes The Bard's Tale IV (different style, though it's turn-based), and Wasteland 3 (very well known).

-Black Geyser (Kickstarter running) fantasy

-Realms Beyond fantasy

-Synstasis (formerly Synapse) sci-fi, dystopy

-Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones lovecraftian

-Spy DNA near future

-Dungeons of Aledorn (Updates are rare, but they seem to be still working on it) fantasy

-InSomnia: The Ark (Action Combat, but still promising) scifi

-Disco Elysium 70s, crime

-Wellspring: Altar of Roots (formerly Bevontule) fantasy

-Corven: Path of Redemption fantasy

-The Meridian Shard fantasy

-ATOM postapocalyptic sci-fi

-Pathfinder: Kingmaker fantasy

-Copper Dreams sci-fi, dystopy

These are 13 games. There used to be more, but those seem to be cancelled or on hold, as there haven't been any updates for more than a year. Still, nothing to worry about for us, in my opinion. And these are just the ones of an old schoolish kind. There are more modern ones, too, but I wanted to concentrate on a certain type of RPG for this list. We'll be fine for many years, even if not all games of my list will see the light of release.

Personally, I've fallen in love with the graphics of Realms Beyond, so I hope they won't screw it up.

Edited by LittleRose
  • Like 8

Should include Tower of Time because it only just released a couple of weeks ago.

@LittleRose, would you be so kind as to tell me which of those games on your list would qualify as part of the "fantasy" genre, be it high or low? I have very limited gaming time and so limit myself to fantasy genre games because that's my personal favorite. Thanks in advance!

Hey, thanks for mentioning our game! Will be happy to answer your questions if you have any :).

Hello! I just wanted to say that the project is looking very promising, fingers crossed for you guys. :yes:

I really love the old Eastern European science-fiction theme you have chosen for your game. Reminds me of Stanisław Lem a lot.

Edited by Skazz

I knew of the Black Gyser and Pathfinder games but not the rest, thanks for making this list! 

I think while Bard's Tale IV is a first person perspective it still has that same spirit of exploration that these other games have. 

Edited by AlphaShard

Hello! I just wanted to say that the project is looking very promising, fingers crossed for you guys. :yes:

I really love the old Eastern European science-fiction theme you have chosen for your game. Reminds me of Stanisław Lem a lot.

Thanks! We will try to deliver best game possible. BTW Obsidian also backed it on Kickstarter :D.

• Like 1

Good to have a list.

Pathfinder and Chaos Chronicles are our best bet for the 'IE experience' and are definitely the ones to watch. (Black Geyser has a long history of question marks over the basic competence of the developers, such as copypasting the POE UI then adding some hilariously broken animations, but hopefully it ends up proving itself in the long run.)

Disco Elysium looks fantastic, and possibly the unique, innovative story-driven experience that we didn't quite get with the new Torment.

The New World, a colony ship party-based RPG, should be on the list:

http://irontowerstudio.com/new-world-features

The New World is an isometric, party-based RPG inspired by Heinlein’s Orphans of the Sky. Your character's world is a “generation ship,” a massive spacecraft on a centuries long voyage to colonize a distant planet. The Ship's original government has been disbanded following a violent mutiny and you must negotiate a treacherous path among your fellow passengers and the contentious factions striving to dominate the Ship. Your choices alone will determine who your friends and enemies are.
  • Like 1

Corven looks kinda to my tastes, on first description.

Interesting list.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hey, thanks for mentioning our game! Will be happy to answer your questions if you have any :).

I have checked your web, it looks promising, but I have not seen any info about possible release on GOG.

With Steam Direct flooding the store with hundreds of games weekly, quality indies can easily be lost. Some indie developers are even leaving Steam due to this issue. IMO releasing PC games also on different platforms than can lead to more market awareness. Would be shame if your game would be lost in the sea of Direct assett flip trash :-/

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Good to have a list.

Pathfinder and Chaos Chronicles are our best bet for the 'IE experience' and are definitely the ones to watch. (Black Geyser has a long history of question marks over the basic competence of the developers, such as copypasting the POE UI then adding some hilariously broken animations, but hopefully it ends up proving itself in the long run.)

Chaos Chronicles died years ago, and I haven't seen any information about any revival of that project. Do you have some new information?

Edited by kanisatha

Good to have a list.

Chaos Chronicles died years ago, and I haven't seen any information about any revival of that project. Do you have some new information?

Oh, you are in for a treat:

https://www.realms-beyond.com/

This is the original CC developers, now able to develop and finish the game without interference from the morons who temporarily seized the unfinished assets and released it as shovelware to make a quick buck. This is the real deal.

RB_Alchemist_Shop_01.jpg

• Like 5

Good to have a list.

Oh, you are in for a treat:

https://www.realms-beyond.com/

This is the original CC developers, now able to develop and finish the game without interference from the morons who temporarily seized the unfinished assets and released it as shovelware to make a quick buck. This is the real deal.

RB_Alchemist_Shop_01.jpg

Thanks! That is awesome. I was so very disappointed when CC died, especially because of the utterly ridiculous reasons why it died. I checked out your link and it sure looks really nice, including that they're actually using the D&D 3.5e OGL. That way they don't have to waste resources on developing systems and can focus on the story and the world and the characters.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...