First impression on full ability tree

This is my first impression on the full ability tree, Cohh is too fast that I might be wrong with some abilities.

Barbarian

-------------------------------------

I feel the high level ability of barb are quite solid. Specially Bloodthirst and Barbarian Retiatation. 

Bloodthirst gives your character 10 second of 0 recovery time when killed a target. This is super powerful in current system because everybody is pretty slow and with the calculation formula u cannot reach 0 recovery normally.

Barbarian Retiation will do a full attack to anybody who critical attacks you. This is much better than riposte now, but I cannot argue beause it is a lvl8? ability.

Chanter

High level innvocations and phrase are pretty solid imo, I feel chanters are No.1 supporters in Deadfire because they are so versartile. They have good self-buff, instant CC, powerful summons and phrase support like lash and life draining. What else they cannot do?

Cipher

Seems like cipher has a lot passive that benefit from critical hits, like get focus when crit, get damage shield when crit.

Druid

High level wildstrike seems pretty powerful. A multiclass druid would regret missing these :) Also I remember seeing one spell that can destroy target when failed will check. Ouch!

Fighter

Many great high level abilities imo, both good on offensive/defensive side. Fighter/Cipher can be very potential because cipher has a lot passive that benefit from critical attacks.

Monk

A lot passive that grant u bonus for per wounds u have, with max wound you can get 10 Might(helwalker), 10 Con or Int, 3 armor or 50% fire lash, 10 accuracy. I wonder if Shattered Pillar can make up these penalty for only having 5 max wounds. But they might do because the high level ability looks pretty powreful.

Also that lvl 9 ability looks super powerful, as I said in general discussion. With full wounds u can do 1300+ damage with it and protentially 2000+ when empowered.

I also remember the upgraded long pain will allow u to use any melee weapon in a short range.

Paladin

I remember to see a passive that revive yourself when u have resource point left, so it mostly makes u unkillable. :) But I'm pretty sure it's limited to 5 times per combat because of wound.

But huge nerf to Sacred Immolation if I remember correctly. It does 43 raw damage to you per 3 sec(seriously lol, I'd name it Suicide Immolation instead).

Ranger

High level abilities feel pretty meh, Twin Shot is an active not passive ability. And the lvl 9 abilitiy is turning invisible, i mean lol? Aren't they strikers. I feel like barbarian is more a striker than ranger.

I didn't remember anything specially good, a lot abilities buffs pets so I might underestimate them because pets are good in late game.

Rogue

Deathblow is weapon damage only so sadly no caster synergy unlocked. And looking at their high level abilities, I just thought I saw a wizard, a lot smoke cloud, grenade stuff. They don't get any self-buff until lvl 8, and then u get swift with upgraded shadowing beyond. Also the lvl 9 ability is shadowing beyond + full attack.....zzz. I mean u can do the same thing as a lvl 3 rogue......

I think they gonna suffer the same issue as they did in PoE 1, unless there are some big changes to the ability tree.

Priest

The spells seem to be pretty similar with their PoE 1 version. But the cast time slower so I think as a supporter Chanter is better overall. Devotion of faithful is still a good reason to take a priest tho.

Wizard

Too fast to see anything in detail, but I remember the Citzal's armry spell is letting u transformed or so, dunno what it really does. Also the subclasses are untouched and remain horrible imho.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 6

Yeah, I agree on Rangers for sure they look like Multiclass only ATM, at least to me. Maybe the same with Rogues.

Also, I am actually surprised the Wizard subclasses made it in the core game in that state. Although they habe a lot of spells the do no have enough to justify you losing roughly 2/5s of the spells in each level, and get increased casting times on all spells they can cast but their preferred school of spells. Their bonus is paltry to sacrifice so much.

I said it in another thread. Preferred school bonus is fine. Their special abilities are ok, but some are better than others. They shouldnt lose two schools, but maybe one. I would have 1 school they cant cast, the other has increased cast times, and the other two should have no bonus or malus applied to them.

Other than that, I agree the other classes all look solid.

• Like 1

All the high level mage spells look interesting and fun, though some of them are situational. I'm thinking particularly of the enemy buff stripper, the major grimoire imprint, and Llengrath's spell reflection. There are also a lot of summon weapon spells, which is counterintuitive to me. If you want to play a fighter, why not roll a fighter? If it's supposed to help when enemies make it to melee range, they have 3+ second cast times. If it's supposed to be for wizard fighter/barbarian/paladin/rogue multiclasses, why put them at level 8 and 9?

Still overall I think there are enough interesting wizard spells at all levels that I'll probably go pure wizard instead of evoker on my first playthrough. 

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

^^ Love Cohh's reaction to "Twinned Shot" wording:

SUK9fYd.png

Cipher:

Do like the new "Ancestor's Honor" power. It's an ascendant's best friend. Wonder if it can be applied to cipher himself; but it for sure can be fun chain-empowering your allies (with a little alchemy ofc).

The "Shared Nightmare" - would be crazingly good if it was available to a multi-classing cipher. But as a rank 9 passive... it will be probably most useful for an Ascendant going for Ringleader or Amplified Wave.

"1000 Cuts" - is a very interesting stackable DoT that is worth being a rank 9 power. While Haunting Chains (terrify and hobble a single target) not so much. 

Priest:

"Hand of Weal and Woe" aside... rank 8 and 9 spells don't look that strong for their rank. Am curious what are the stats of Incarnate through.

At the same time "Cleansing Flames" is now a rank 7, not rank 6 spells. So gotta think if I still want to multi-class the priest.

Wizard:

"Cloak of Death" is both cool and useful. Although tooltip doesn't mention it's duration.

"Minnoleta's Missile Salvo" - is either good or bad, depending on how many missiles does it fire. And tooltip doesn't show that.

"Petrification" (rank 9) - aside from duration, actually looks quite weaker than "Gaze of Adragan" which is aoe.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 6

Paladin seems be nerfed really hard, deep defense reduce to +12 all defense from 17. FoD nerfed to only 25% fire lash, eternal flame only 10% lash. Sacred Immolation does 43 raw damage to u per 3 sec lol.

The upgrade of all extortion seems pretty boring to me, and the high level passive is self revive ok...

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

Sacred Immolation does 43 raw damage to u per 3 sec lol.

There is a pure visual bug with some DoTs. For example Taste of the Hunt in beta4 was listing in it's tooltip "total damage" instead of "tick damage".

Seems that Sacred Immolation and Disintegration share same problem.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Sacred Immolation does 43 raw damage to u per 3 sec lol.

There is a pure visual bug with some DoTs. For example Taste of the Hunt in beta4 was listing in it's tooltip "total damage" instead of "tick damage".

Seems that Sacred Immolation and Disintegration share same problem.

If this is the reason then it make sense. But I'm afraid this visual bug gonna make a lot player very confused about these abilities.

If this is the reason then it make sense. But I'm afraid this visual bug gonna make a lot player very confused about these abilities.

It indeed is confusing.

And while in beta4 that was only a visual/tooltip bug, in beta3 Taste of the Hunt was indead dealing that much damage each 3s. So, let's hope it's not a reccurent bug :)

Also Monk get a passive that will have 25% chance to do extra attack when critical hit. Stacking with Swift Flurry, isn't it the same case of beta 1? I mean the reason they nerf the trigger chance of Swift Flurry from 50% to 33% is because it can cause some cascade issue. And then they designed another ability to pair with Swift Flurry? Weird design decision to me.

The concept with Sacred Immolation does seem to be that you may die but you get revived---either through the passive that activates if you have a certain amount of zeal left or with the upgrade to Immolation that revives you with full health. Either that or you need to use defenses and self-healing.

You also get potentially unlimited zeal from the zeal-on-kill ability (well, unlimited if you kill your own summons). 

Paladin seems like a great way to utilize Blooded / Near Death benefits safely.... 

Edited by SaruNi

The concept with Sacred Immolation does seem to be that you may die but you get revived---either through the passive that activates if you have a certain amount of zeal left or with the upgrade to Immolation that revives you with full health. Either that or you need to use defenses and self-healing.

You also get potentially unlimited zeal from the zeal-on-kill ability (well, unlimited if you kill your own summons).

As I said above, revive is limited to 5 times because of wound. You are dead and game over if u have full wound. Also are u sure death won’t cancel SA?

Do we know for a fact the Seppuku via your own Sacred Immolation will give you a wound if you have the Auto-rez upgrade?  I could see the other Rez that costs zeal giving you a wound.  I just think a built in Rez like that shouldn't.  It seems intended. 

As I said above, revive is limited to 5 times because of wound. You are dead and game over if u have full wound. Also are u sure death won’t cancel SA?

Well, it restores you to full health, and you'll have a ton of health by that point, as well as good healing. Not to mention St Elga's death prevention, priest Barring Death's Door, etc. (Is there definitely no way to heal wounds during combat?)

Seems like a much more interesting playstyle than spamming boring old FoD.

Too fast to see anything in detail, but I remember the Citzal's armry spell is letting u transformed or so, dunno what it really does. Also the subclasses are untouched and remain horrible imho.

Citzal's Armoury gives you two summoned weapons and a summoned breastplate, though it gave no details of what weapons or what their enchantments are.

"Petrification" (rank 9) - aside from duration, actually looks quite weaker than "Gaze of Adragan" which is aoe.

I think the selling point is meant to be that it has the potential to be permanent i.e. outright kill the enemy. Not sure that's worth as much as Obsidian are suggesting it is, but that's presumably why it's level 9.

Well, it restores you to full health, and you'll have a ton of health by that point, as well as good healing. Not to mention St Elga's death prevention, priest Barring Death's Door, etc. (Is there definitely no way to heal wounds during combat?)

Seems like a much more interesting playstyle than spamming boring old FoD.

For go death again and again? Have fun with the new style :)

The nice thing about vanishing strike is that you can get a full attack without ever leaving invisibility---you immediately become invisible. Still vulnerable to AoE though. It's okay for a high-level ability. Multiclass with Bloodthirst seems better.

Death Godlike St Elga scroll user with 4 assassin caster nukers was fun (before the assassinate nerf). A bit like Sacred Immolation....

With Paladins having all these revive with full health and revive ally with Tenacious abilities, and Chanters, Druids, and Priests having similar revives, Destroy / Petrify could be great....

Edited by SaruNi
  • Like 1

Druid

High level wildstrike seems pretty powerful. A multiclass druid would regret missing these :) Also I remember seeing one spell that can destroy target when failed will check. Ouch!

"Touch of Death

Destroyed  Accuracy vs. Will"

But:

"This spell may only be used on those that are Near Death"

Bad for my St Elga Death Godlike though.

For a a first glance(that took more than an hour) I like most of them, But rangers and rogues got shafted with their 9 level active abilities IMO, rest of level 9 abilities seem pretty good and enough of a reason to not go multiclasse on everyone.

Edited by HAWmaro
  • Like 1

I would say level 6-9 got shafted for Rangers and Rogues.  It is really empty once you get past level 5.  Rogues have nothing below Ring the Bell and Finishing Blow.  Rangers have similar amounts of nothing in the same area of their tree.

• Like 2

Druid

"Touch of Death

Destroyed Accuracy vs. Will"

But:

"This spell may only be used on those that are Near Death"

Bad for my St Elga Death Godlike though.

Yeah I didn’t notice it’s only affect near death enemy because Cohh switches too fast :) Good thing is that it targets will instead of fortitude.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn’t notice it’s only affect near death enemy because Cohh switches too fast :) Good thing is that it targets will instead of fortitude.

As a side note the tooltips for spells and abilities haven't exactly improved much from PoE...

• Like 1

As a side note the tooltips for spells and abilities haven't exactly improved much from PoE...

Yeah, the right click page on these abilities really need to show resource cost for one thing. You only see that on hover, and since he doesn't hover it's hard to say whether some abilities are worth it. That goes without saying that there are a myriad of other issues.