First impression on full ability tree

Gambit: 

Full attack
When scoring a critical hit:
+2 of each Rogue resource (of "each"? there's more than one? huh?)

+20% crit damage per Guile possessed, +10% hit to crit per Guile possessed

At power level 9, 11 Guile, that's +220% crit damage and 100% hit to crit

Murderous Intent passive:
100% of Hits converted to Crits with Empowered attacks against <= 50% health targets,
+100% Crit damage with Empowered attacks against <= 50% health targets

Not bad for a passive.

Trickster might get Wall of Many Colors ( in rpg codex leak), which looks pretty good.

Coordinated Positioning seems like it should be a lower-level ability. And range is only 2.5 m....

Edited by SaruNi
  • Like 3

The ranger tree past 5 feel so... uninspired. At 7 only upgraded skills. At 8 two, one for melee other for ranged so... not even a choice. And at 9 only one skill. Past 5 you don't have any reel choice with this skill tree. And most animal companion skills are heal skills.

Oh and rogue follow. How they couldn't find 2-3 skills ideas for level 7-8-9?

Edited by Takkik
  • Like 1

I'm satisfied with rogues' abilities for my own purposes, even if the tree is pretty sparse. My impression on level 8/9 rogue abilities is that they're designed towards helping out with alpha strikes. If you're playing an assassin (or just general rogue) that way, they're pretty good. But if not, yeah, not worth it. Mostly concerned with how useful those alpha strikes will ultimately be; I've been burned too many times by games giving me really high damage abilities, only for it to not matter against bosses because of immunities/sheer amount of health.

As for the 6/7 abilities/upgrades, they seem kind of split between alpha strikes and applying afflictions (for sneak attack, of course). IMO they seem more worth the guile cost with all of those additional affects; three is still kind of steep, but assuming it stays at three and guile pool increases proportionally, it's not that bad. Again, my concern is with whether or not they'll be useful against those extra tough bosses and enemies.

As for the passives, Slippery Mind stands out as incredibly good, and I like the level 9 ones a lot. The rest is pretty disappointing, especially considering they don't even have a unique level 8 passive. Also, I think they could've squeezed a little more in to help deflection or something. The squish is still real, just a little boost and I would've been happy.

I've got nice things to say about Paladin and Fighter, too, but everyone else pretty much covered it.

Druid

-------------------------------------

High level wildstrike seems pretty powerful. A multiclass druid would regret missing these :) Also I remember seeing one spell that can destroy target when failed will check. Ouch!

I, for one, am less optimistic here. I'm a bit disappointed by the very fact that Wildstrike Frenzy is an on kill effect. Level VI and upwards offers little to nothing for the Shifter subclass (except for Avenging Storm, which no longer stuns on hit and is accessible by scrolls too). I'm honestly a bit demoralized, as I had high hopes for the single class Shifter. Multiclassing to monk (and maybe rogue) seems to be the way to go imo.

Edited by L4wlight
  • Like 2

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

Two Weapon Style nerfed to 15% because why not? We all love to stare at our characters do their idle thing in-between attacks, right?

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I want to play ranger single class stalker. One thing that is weird is ranger and barb basically get same passive ability with different name but 4 power levels difference in getting it. (Stunning Shots vs Interrupting Blows) So Stunning shots has changed from an Level 9 on hit stun when hitting enemy with both ranger and companion in POE1 to a Level 19 on crit interrupt (i guess at least it doesnt require animal but i would rather the other way around with animal to get stun back). umm... and Barbarian gets almost same ability called Interrupting blows at around level 9 for single class.

I wonder if this is a bug since they are so similar the only difference is Barbarian says melee only and ranger doesnt. That isnt worth 10 actual levels is it?

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Beckoner:

• Summoning two great wyrms sounds very powerful to me!
  • Ogres with Cleave (yes please!)
  • Summoning Phrase (oh yes!)

High Level Beckoner + High Level Priest:

Many Lives Pass By, Each Leaving Footprints (skeleton summoning phrase)

+ Did sing a song of carnage Fair (8 Ancient Weapon summons) or Ancient Brittle Bones (up to 12 skeletons)

+ (Priest) Spark the Souls of the Righteous

= BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Edited by L4wlight
  • Like 1

Like other people already said: Everything looks nice except ranger and rogue maybe.

Looks like some things I want to play look really good:

sharpshooter/rogue: dual wield guns and let enemies bleed

barbarien/soul blade: Lots of on kill effects

It looks like many high level talents are used to make empowered abilities much more powerful.

Empower can only be used once per encounter. So you put most of your resources into a single very powerful attack.

Empower can only be used once per encounter. So you put most of your resources into a single very powerful attack.

I'd rather just burn through the resource pool and refresh it.   All or nothing sits poorly with me.

Though... a high level cipher can just give out empower points.  :blink:

The wording of blood thirst makes me hesitate a bit: Does it really give you a whole 10 seconds of 0 recovery? It sounds like it just resets your attack timer instantly. For one attack, that is.

"After killing an enemy, the barbarian's recovery bar is immediately refreshed."
While showcasing a 10 second duration self-buff  :blink: .

• Like 1

quick impressions:

monks, paladins, barbarians and chanters all look like winners, and fighters appear to be strong if less dynamic.  the aforementioned all have a nice variety o' intriguing tier 6-9 talents.   druids and wizards have bountiful and powerful options, though am gonna need look closer at individual spells.

paladins got the nerf(s) they needed and they nevertheless still look mighty.  

rogues and rangers display a curious paucity o' options at high levels.  sure, a couple 8th and 9th level abilities for each class appear particular keen, but am not being hyperbolic when we says, "a couple."  

is hard to imagine priest original had a "school" prohibition.  yeah, poe priests were a bit strong, but am feeling as if there might have been an overreaction to poe priest opness.  the ninth tier abilities, in particular, look terrible.  incarnate might be sooper groovy, but such is not necessarily a good thing.  if every encounter we summon an obedient Gojira, capable of laying waste to tokyo, while we sit impotent and watch destruction, such is gonna get tiresome quick, particular as the other tier nine options are hardly o' a potency similar to wizard and druid tier nine offerings... and priests don't have grimoires or shapeshift neither.  a couple 8th tier priest abilities is nice, if not exciting.  dunno. we cannot foresee playing a single class priest anytime soon, though am expecting we will use xoti on our first play o' deadfire, and chances are we use her as single-class priest.  won't feel good 'bout a priest xoti, but will likely do it once.  

ciphers... well, we got issues with ciphers, but they have useful high level abilities even there are not too many ability options.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Fighters are absolutely ideal for multi-classing, as imo most of the good stuff is lower level.

Casters are bit light on high-level passives. High-level Wizard spells are fairly inviting; Cipher powers less so; Druid and Priest spells aren't particularly appealing. I have mixed feelings about the Wildstrike Frenzy attacks—they are good but I don't like that they are on-kill effects on a pure Druid.

Love the passive that reduces that casting time on summoned weapons, though ;)

Barbarian and Monk look pretty solid for single-class options, though the twins at PL 7 are a godsend for multi-classed Monks. Love the upgrade to The Long Pain that lets you throw weapons. The upgrades to Duality are also great but I don't like that the extra bonuses are tied to choosing between INT and CON (I would have wanted the extra damage with the CON bonus.)

Cipher's got some good passives that will work great in multi-classed combinations.

Lots to look forward to. I'll probably play most companions as single classes, except perhaps Pallegina (high-level Paladin abilities aren't as appealing as making her a Crusader.)

• Like 3

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Mith Fyr got nerfed a bit (25% to 15%), but it is still useful, and chanters are so good anyway that it doesn't hurt them too much.

The thing that stuck out the most: you can summon a freaking dragon! I'm rethinking my plan to use 2 multiclass chanters because I'll miss out on that. You can't possibly go single-class beckoner either if you want to summon that dragon, because the whole point is to summon a full-size freaking dragon!! 

Love the high-level phrases for chanter. Too many good ones to pick from. Pairing that +100% healing chant with other good sources of healing ought to be crazy.

• Like 2

My first impression is that single class chanter is going to be outstanding. Life steal for the team, and 100% healing received (which I presume stack). Also, they have the only source of Brilliant that I saw, which seems like one of the strongest inspirations in the game, since it restores resource points.

I like that fighter has a full attack ability at low level now. Charge seems great too.

Paladin got some significant nerfs (eternal devotion and faith and conviction), but have some fantastic abilities at higher level. Zeal on kill? Heck yes! Self-rez? Yup! They look to be among the best healers in the game (numerous rezzes, heals with very short cast times, etc) and should excel in both single and multi class builds.

I love that the Monk gets a passive flurry proc. They look great overall.

• Like 1

Mith Fyr got nerfed a bit (25% to 15%), but it is still useful, and chanters are so good anyway that it doesn't hurt them too much.

The thing that stuck out the most: you can summon a freaking dragon! I'm rethinking my plan to use 2 multiclass chanters because I'll miss out on that. You can't possibly go single-class beckoner either if you want to summon that dragon, because the whole point is to summon a full-size freaking dragon!! 

Love the high-level phrases for chanter. Too many good ones to pick from. Pairing that +100% healing chant with other good sources of healing ought to be crazy.

Yeah. Though last I checked they still hadn't even gotten the Drake working... hopefully on release it won't be "summon dragon... dragon can do nothing but move around."

• Like 1

Wow Ranger's really got shafted. Ghost Heart even more so since he cant even use two of the abilities in their already non-existent pool of abilities..

Ghost Heart should make a nice multiclass with Cipher at least. Ghost Heart/Ascendant is probably going to be my first MC. Can spend most of your talent picks on cipher and use your ranger picks on the damage/accuracy/speed talents like Marked for the Hunt, Gunner, Two Weapon Style, Driving Flight, etc. Don't need to worry about spending points on trying to toughen up your pet, cuz its no big deal if it dies since no bonded grief. Spare points can be spent on some of the pet damage talents since it should be decent as a back line/caster harasser with its immunity to engagement and once again with it not being a big deal if it dies.

You are correct though that single class Ranger isn't looking like the greatest option, but should work well for some ranged multiclass setups.

Edited by mrscojangles
  • Like 1

Monks:

• They got so many interesting stuff
  • Single-classed monks definitely will be a thing too
  • Instrument of Pain has so much potential!
  • High-level abilities are gucci
  • Heartbeat Drumming has high exploit potential
  • Very versatile class

Inner Death:

• We need a highest single-attack-crit-thread asap
  • Boss one-hitting potential
  • Great Empowered Strike synergy

Whispers of the Wind:

• Shattered Pillars should be able to spam this non-stop

EDIT: Added screenshots.

Edited by L4wlight
  • Like 2

Monks:

• They got so many interesting stuff
  • Single-classed monks definitely will be a thing too
  • Instrument of Pain has so much potential!
  • High-level abilities are gucci
  • Heartbeat Drumming has high exploit potential
  • Very versatile class

Inner Death:

• We need a highest single-attack-crit-thread asap
  • Boss one-hitting potential

Whispers of the Wind:

• Shattered Pillars should be able to spam this non-stop

In before someone makes a meme youtube video impersonating One punch man as a bald monk in cape.

• Like 2

Gambit: 

Full attack

100% of Hits converted to Crits with Empowered attacks against <= 50% health targets,

Not bad for a passive.

Trickster might get Wall of Many Colors ( in rpg codex leak), which looks pretty good.

Coordinated Positioning seems like it should be a lower-level ability. And range is only 2.5 m....

I'm fairly sure the abilities use that description because, as a lot of people seem to forget, there are 3 DLC's coming. Those will most likely highten the level cap allowing even multiclass characters to go past power level 7. So +2 to each resource on a level 8 or 9 ability will probably become relevant for future multiclass characters.

Two Weapon Style nerfed to 15% because why not? We all love to stare at our characters do their idle thing in-between attacks, right?

Let's be honest here, there were countless threads on dual wielding being too powerfull. It probably still is compared to the other styles.

Like other people already said: Everything looks nice except ranger and rogue maybe.

Honestly, deathblows, deep pockets, reposte and dirty fighting on the rogue tree kind of has me considering a dual wielding paladin/rogue multiclass. I think rogue gets a decent amount of goodies even at level 7 and below. 

I'm a bit sad that the shield phrase got nerfed from 30 hp to 12 hp per application, and mith fyr also hurts, but I'm probably still going fopr that sweet beckoner double dragon summon :) The coolness factor of that has officially convinced me as the first playthrough,

Edited by lunattic

Gambit: 

Full attack

Not bad for a passive.

I'm fairly sure the abilities use that description because, as a lot of people seem to forget, there are 3 DLC's coming. Those will most likely highten the level cap allowing even multiclass characters to go past power level 7. So +2 to each resource on a level 8 or 9 ability will probably become relevant for future multiclass characters.

But it specifies "each Rogue resource"... not "each resource". It implies there's more than one Rogue resource. But Guile is the only one?... 

Let's be honest here, there were countless threads on dual wielding being too powerfull. It probably still is compared to the other styles.

As I mentioned in those threads, I would prefer any other solution to that problem. The one thing I take issue with is slower recovery because it's boring. I don't like staring at my men doing nothing, and with average recovery times at 4s (!!) dual-wielding was pretty much the only style I could consider to avoid falling asleep between weapon swings.

• Like 5