What class(s) are you planning making your first character and why?

I've gone backwards from committing to pure Hellblade to being super caught up in Cipher/Devoted Cipher/Paladin Cipher/Monk combos.  It's actually awful.  

Cipher/Monk now seems super promising, Pillar to scale off hits combined with Soul Blade and the Devoted whip stacking, then you can use the massive intellect bonus from your wounds to toss around enduring CC, but seems too micro intensive.

I'm going to be doing Cipher but I haven't decided which will be more interesting from singleclass versus a multiclass as a Psyblade or a Rogue or something. I used a gun-based cipher in the past so I'm not entirely sure what will take advantage of that in Deadfire.

I'm going to be doing Cipher but I haven't decided which will be more interesting from singleclass versus a multiclass as a Psyblade or a Rogue or something. I used a gun-based cipher in the past so I'm not entirely sure what will take advantage of that in Deadfire.

You could multiclass into ranger, -20% reload speed would be nice. Also, (though I'm loathe to say it) you could multiclass with black jacket and weapon swap through multiple sets of firearms for early fight burst damage and focus generation. It combos well with ascendant. It's a potent combination, if a little cheesy. 

Edit: You could also just go pure cipher, getting access to dominating spells like puppet master and ringleader earlier would be sweet and some of the high tier abilities are cool also. 

Edit Edit: You could also do what I'm doing and go beguiler cipher + rogue and focus on debuffing spells and getting sneak attack damage from range. Rogues sneak attack damage starts at 30% I believe, and it scales with power level, so at power level 2 as a beguiler cipher your sneak attacks will deal over 60% with biting whip, and it'll only get higher from there. We don't know exactly how much it scales with power level yet but it already sounds potent even without the scaling. Does all this clear things up for you? No? It only confuses you further? You're welcome. 

Edited by Riftis
  • Like 1

One bit of advice for people making your character. You might try making sure that your MC has high perception and mechanics. Since your MC is always in the party it means the key roles of trap spotter/disarmer, door/chest opener and hidden item spotter are always covered.

If you put these roles on other characters you will find it really difficult to rotate them out for others.

With those key roles all covered by your MC you will be able to move your other 4 members around much more freely.

Edited by Maxzero
  • Like 1

Correct. Perception is used to spot hidden things (if I recall correctly then even in the high lvl areas from the developer's stream the traps didn't need more than 19 PER to get spotted).

Mechanics is needed to unlock/disarm.

bonuses from items and other bonus effect do count of course. So with 16 PER and an +3 item you should be pretty safe. Use PER consumalbes to buff it up temporarily if you think you're missing something.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Correct. Perception is used to spot hidden things (if I recall correctly then even in the high lvl areas from the developer's stream the traps didn't need more than 19 PER to get spotted).

Mechanics is needed to unlock/disarm.

bonuses from items and other bonus effect do count of course. So with 16 PER and an +3 item you should be pretty safe. Use PER consumalbes to buff it up temporarily if you think you're missing something.

19 eh?

Looks like you will need at least 1 guy with a lot of Perception. Unless an NPC has has high base Perception it looks like the MC is the best candiate.

Sure there are items but still.

I'm not quite sure. I'm going to be importing a save from the first one, where my Watcher is a pale elf Cipher, but I'm interested in Rogue and Priest as well.

Not sure if I will keep her a pure Cipher, a Cipher/Rogue or Cipher/Priest, or completely ditch Cipher altogether for the other two...either way I will probably play them all at some point.

Druid. 'Cuz I like Druids.

I might multiclass into Fighter, because the save file I'm planning to import was a Fighter and I'd like the continuity. A kind of reverse Jaheira.

I don't know what subclass I'll take. Haven't looked into it much. But I'm leaning towards taking whichever is the Spiritshift subclass.

Edited by WotanAnubis

I'm not quite sure. I'm going to be importing a save from the first one, where my Watcher is a pale elf Cipher, but I'm interested in Rogue and Priest as well.

Not sure if I will keep her a pure Cipher, a Cipher/Rogue or Cipher/Priest, or completely ditch Cipher altogether for the other two...either way I will probably play them all at some point.

My Watcher was a pale elf Cipher too! :D I'm going with pale elf priest for Deadfire. Mostly to avoid another "Durance situation". The only reason I allowed him to even exist was because he was my only priest!! lol  :p (...but he was quite the entertaining character...)

My Watcher was a pale elf Cipher too! :D I'm going with pale elf priest for Deadfire. Mostly to avoid another "Durance situation". The only reason I allowed him to even exist was because he was my only priest!! lol  :p (...but he was quite the entertaining character...)

If it helps your decision it seems Priests won't feel quite as crucial in Deadfire since the whole Inspiration/Affliction system means many more classes can remove Afflictions now, so you won't have to resort to scrolls if you don't bring a Priest with you.

If it helps your decision it seems Priests won't feel quite as crucial in Deadfire since the whole Inspiration/Affliction system means many more classes can remove Afflictions now, so you won't have to resort to scrolls if you don't bring a Priest with you.

On the other hand healing seems more important than it was in PoE and Priests are very good at it.

On the other other hand Xoti seems better suited to Priesting than Durance.

Probably my pale elf paladin/beckoner or death godlike monk/wizard or fighter/wizard.

I would go with Evoker and try endgame spells but I don't have save of mage with merciless hand. I'm not even sure if those bonus talents will be exported to Deadfire.

Edited by Silvaren

giphy.gif

On the other hand healing seems more important than it was in PoE and Priests are very good at it.

On the other other hand Xoti seems better suited to Priesting than Durance.

On the other other other hand Druids, Paladins and Chanters also seem well equipped to heal. Personally I will likely have Xoti around as a full Priest more often than not, just to try out all the changes and new spells as I like the class. But it's nice to not feel like I simply must have a Priest around unless I know every encounter beforehand (and have consumables ready).

Edited by GuyNice
  • Like 1

Torn between pure Wizard (Evoker) or mixing up with Paladin (Kind Wayfarer), but I like it for the concept the most. I don't think there's a lot of synergy between melees and casters save a few cases. Still, gonna try with that. Otherwise I like the idea of being a Warden aswell (Druid (Fury)/Fighter) and play with the fantasy of being a Green Knight kinda character. Or Liberator (Druid/Paladin).

Few hours until launch and I still have no real idea what the hell I'm going to do. :p

Read this https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Cipher, and got wary of running a pure Soul Blade. That CohhCarnage stream got through all the classes, and Soul Blade description mentions "Max focus is reduced (Combat starting amount as well)" malus. If this persists throughout the whole game during level ups, that's worse ;(. No wonder people are using this sub with other melee classes... 

Edited by lordgizka

Still slightly torn on what I want to play. I played a Monk and a Paladin ( Boeroer's charm paladin actually) through most of PoE, but haven't finished it due to work/family among other reasons.

Holy Slayer (Bleak/Assassin) seems hilarious with a 2H and swapping to Sabre + parry dagger.  From glancing over Rogue abilities I get the feeling that its resource costs is just gonna force me to only use 2 abilities the entire game and just snap up passives and Paladin skills. Maybe dual-wielding shotguns and pretending he's a Mafia Paladin.

[Melee Class]/Soulblade or Ascendant - I loved Ciphers and Charm is absolutely busted. Spell Spam or Soul Annihilation are both very attractive.

Boeroer posted earlier about a Helwalker / Wizard and now I think I'm gonna roll some dice and play it. Monk is my favorite "fair" class in DnD universe, Diablo universe, and maybe Pillars.  It'd also give me a reason to bench Aloth and use the new Druid with FOE-ONLY Chill Fog. 

First time posting btw, always enjoy lurking here.