What class(s) are you planning making your first character and why?

Well, I've already changed my mind since I last posted in this thread - now I'm planning on importing my druid from Pillars 1 as a lifegiver, and I'll multiclass her with ranger (pure class), as I feel she really should have an animal companion. Which I think is going to be my final decision - this was the first character I finished the first game with so it's appropriate to start Deadfire with her. Though, on the other hand, I do want to play a pure wizard....

Witch - cipher/barb

I've always built my watcher to be one even in poe1, both mechanically (big focus on melee, just stuck to a few key cipher powers) and in terms of roleplay. Now the game properly supports it :D

Was planning on single class Mage Slayer but after watching the streams, changed my mind. I'll be a Marauder(Mage Slayer + Streetfighter). Shodey will contemplate. Tekehu, Theurge. Rest will be single class; Eder being a fighter & Serafen, Cipher.

edit: Incidentally, this template will use all classes without overlap while not missing out on unique companion subclasses.(not counting sidekicks) 

Oh, is one of the streamers using a Mage Slayer? Did they fix the 50% duration reduction for release? They're removed it from the character creator descriptor in beta 4, but it was still applied in game.

Haven't seen any, its just that a character who is multiclassed seemed more fun than when he/she was not in another stream. And I like consistency(chosen using all classes over making everyone multi) so I won't make all of them multiclass :p

What's the problem with Mage Slayer, in more detail?

Edited by Quillon

What's the problem with Mage Slayer, in more detail?

Basically the malus is far too strong. All their own self-buffs have -50% duration, as well as anything from an outsite source. Considering that that effects frenzy, stalwart defiance and sprint, as well as all their on kill effects, it just makes the class useless. It looked like they were getting rid of it in beta 4, but I have no idea whether they went through with it for the final release. If they have I'm playing one, otherwise I'll go berserker.

• Like 1

I am ever a rogue at heart, and given the setting, I will inevitably end up making my PoE character a Swashbuckler.

Also curious to fold the Mage Slayer into something, because I do love hunting me some wand flickers.

• Like 1

For my first, I’ll be playing a single class Priest of Berath and devoted Servant of the death god. He will focus on damage dealing as we have Tekehu and Pallegina for healing. Shining beacon, rot skulls, holy storm, and touch of rot.

This sounds pretty interesting.  I didn't think Priest had many decent damage spells.  Might try this myself

rogues just got nerfed to oblivion

i suggest anyone aiming to play a rogue does otherwise because they are by far the worst class in the game now

Sneak attack just got nerfed to 20%!

so sad to see

Cmon, mate, you already started your own thread about rogues. I know you feel strongly about this, but rogues are still completely playable imo. Keep your complaints there and don’t let em seep into other threads because you’re miffed.
  • Like 3

rogues just got nerfed to oblivion 

i suggest anyone aiming to play a rogue does otherwise because they are by far the worst class in the game now

Sneak attack just got nerfed to 20%!

so sad to see

Are you the boy who cried "WOLF!"? Jeez.

I want to play a cipher melee dual class.  I'll probably go psyblade / favored blade.  Barbarian / cipher looks attractive as well, especially if carnage builds focus.  Still think I'll go for the psyblade though.

I really think you should take another look at Witch - much more fun & varied than Psyblade, imo.

• Like 1

I cannot decide yet between singleclass Wizard bec. i love wizards or SC Monk ;)

Im not a huge fan of multiclasses, bec. i want to get the most out of my chosen class, but i can see the benefits of a MC too ofc.

So...deciding deciding...:>

Rly powerful spell-thrower of a rly powerful melee....

Edited by Cartesii

I cannot decide yet between singleclass Wizard bec. i love wizards or SC Monk ;)

Im not a huge fan of multiclasses, bec. i want to get the most out of my chosen class, but i can see the benefits of a MC too ofc.

So...deciding deciding...:>

Rly powerful spell-thrower of a rly powerful melee....

Why not both. Why not... Muscle Wizard.

Seriously, the amount of ass kicked surpassed my expectations, seemed even better than a battlemage or arcane knight. The swift self-bugging made the core monk powers really powerful, there's not so much danger associated with close range abilities like jolting tough, and you can still melt fools with noxious burst, as a hellwalker, boosted by your insane stat boosts..

I originally thought SC wizard. Probably still will... but if I were to multiclass, it'd be to a Sage.

Edited by Yenkaz

From the small handful of his videos I've seen, he seems to have some sort of natural rejection of chanters he can't really explain himself. I honestly think he simply didn't put much attention into it.

Playing my Female-Dwarf-Barbarian, named Sheal.  I've been reading forums since I back this over a year ago!!!   This is my first post!!!  I'm so damn exited for the release!! Love you all!

Congratumalationals, my dude. Hope you enjoy the game!

Will be playing Wizard-Conjurer. Start off with self-buff, Parasitic staff then Kalakoth's Minor Blights-Combusting wounds for the most part then finally blackbow for the end game.

Wanted to play this once since PoE 1, but the AI option-Sellsword ain't very smart, it keeps spamming Alacrity of Motion until I've no more of that spell available and use random unwanted spell. Now spell can be empowered and use per encounter, also you can set up AI to only use a specific set of spell. This character will only use empowered spell because it last for quite sometimes

Hopefully this AI (gambit) system work smoothly, otherwise my character will fall apart. I hate pausing game every 4 frame to cast a spell. My PoE 1 team has 1 tank and 5 casters. Each caster has like 50 spells so u know pausing about 100 times per encounter wasn't very fun.

I usually go with a pure Ranger in any game that has them available. Though I'm not fond of them being mostly a ranged class in PoE.

There's no reason rangers have to be played at range though. There's even a subclass for melee rangers. 

I usually go with a pure Ranger in any game that has them available. Though I'm not fond of them being mostly a ranged class in PoE.

There's no reason rangers have to be played at range though. There's even a subclass for melee rangers. 

Melee rangers are the only rangers.