What class(s) are you planning making your first character and why?

leaning towards wayfarer or goldpact knight and a troubadour as kind of a leader/tank heart of the party which hopefully will open up other part spots more freely so i can use the "cool" companions rather than the most efficient ones and at the same time have a lot of conversation options

but a devouted - soulblade and a barbarian-shattered pillar or barbarian-skald are also still in the ranks

Edited by Nemesis7884

Wood Elf Holy Slayer (Assassin/Darcozzi) dualwielding Sabres. I am well aware that the Paladin subclass, weapon choice as well as the race are suboptimal but a full-party PotD run doesn't really need all that much minmaxing anyway; and you simply cannot beat the overall theme of the Darcozzi Paladini *g*

Was planning on single class Mage Slayer but after watching the streams, changed my mind. I'll be a Marauder(Mage Slayer + Streetfighter). Shodey will contemplate. Tekehu, Theurge. Rest will be single class; Eder being a fighter & Serafen, Cipher.

edit: Incidentally, this template will use all classes without overlap while not missing out on unique companion subclasses.(not counting sidekicks) 

Edited by Quillon

My main from PoE1 is returning, formerly a Moon Godlike Chanter but now Moon Godlike Chanter (Troubadour)/Paladin (Shieldbearer).

She was a tank in the first game, focused heavily on being the party face outside of combat and on support/healing/tanking in combat so the Paladin multiclass works perfectly for her.

Plus, this opens up the option for me to run Eder as a Swashbuckler which seems fun in Deadfire :)

Wood Elf Holy Slayer (Assassin/Darcozzi) dualwielding Sabres. I am well aware that the Paladin subclass, weapon choice as well as the race are suboptimal but a full-party PotD run doesn't really need all that much minmaxing anyway; and you simply cannot beat the overall theme of the Darcozzi Paladini *g*

What *is* the theme of the Darcozzi? All I've ever gotten out of it is mangled Italian with fire shield because reasons.

Was planning on single class Mage Slayer but after watching the streams, changed my mind. I'll be a Marauder(Mage Slayer + Streetfighter). Shodey will contemplate. Tekehu, Theurge. Rest will be single class; Eder being a fighter & Serafen, Cipher.

edit: Incidentally, this template will use all classes without overlap while not missing out on unique companion subclasses.(not counting sidekicks)

This party sounds awesome. Would think your main character is going to be hell on casters (mage slayer bonuses + rogue interrupt abilities + barbarian interrupting blows).

This thread has been awesome. Lots of ideas for my SECOND (hopefully tuned up POTD) playthrough. For my first, I’ll be playing a single class Priest of Berath and devoted Servant of the death god. He will focus on damage dealing as we have Tekehu and Pallegina for healing. Shining beacon, rot skulls, holy storm, and touch of rot.

What *is* the theme of the Darcozzi? All I've ever gotten out of it is mangled Italian with fire shield because reasons.

Patriotism, guns and huge swords.

I'm torn as to what I want to play first, so many options. As I like playing Rogue, I'll probably end up multiclassing Assassin. Current candidates are Shattered Pillar, Soul Blade or Sharpshooter.

Not patriotism: they serve a family not a nation (the nation the family ruled doesn't exist anymore).

Damn yeah, I confused them with the Frermàs mes Canc Suolias. To be fair, they seem to share the same general Italian city-state temperament.

Not patriotism: they serve a family not a nation (the nation the family ruled doesn't exist anymore).

Exactly. Apart from that I just really love the snarky, hot-blooded former Kingsguard~ish vibe.

Damn yeah, I confused them with the Frermàs mes Canc Suolias. To be fair, they seem to share the same general Italian city-state temperament.

For a long time I didn't realise Old Vailia and the Vailian Republics were different things. As I understand it Old Vailia is the crumbling remains of Grand Vailia, which seems to be the Roman Empire of Eora (thus perhaps Old Vailia is akin to the Byzantine Empire?); whereas the Vailian Republics are, as you mention, basically Italian city states.

For a long time I didn't realise Old Vailia and the Vailian Republics were different things. As I understand it Old Vailia is the crumbling remains of Grand Vailia, which seems to be the Roman Empire of Eora (thus perhaps Old Vailia is akin to the Byzantine Empire?); whereas the Vailian Republics are, as you mention, basically Italian city states.
More western Roman i think. We don't have much of a comprehensive map of Eora that I know of, but it seems (to me) that the large nations are seperated by seas. Old Vailia seems to have simply lost central authority in a 'one of many divisions of China' sort of way.

The geography is interesting to me. Are the large factions other than the Eastern Reach basically Australia-sized continents, each dominated by one faction?

Is Eora smaller than Earth or does it have even greater proportion of sea (80-90%?).

Old Vailia could be an interesting setting for a sequel, with various factions trying to unite the country their own way. I'd also like to see Aedyr.

Edited by Yenkaz

Finally settled on a build (maybe).

Nature Godlike Beckoner/Wizard (no sub)

18 5 12 18 20 5

Starts fight be casting Infuse to give +5 Con, +5 Int and activating Nature Godlike. 1min+ duration.

Then with their 25 Int summon Skeletons and screenwide Chill Fogs that last forever.

Should be good from level 1 and a steamroller by 4.

As they level up just keep adding more and more DPS ingredients (Combusting, Expose, Wall of Fire, Malignant Cloud, Freezing Pillar) to the Chill Fog soup while hiding behind stronger and stronger summons.

It's not so much a skill synergy but a playstyle synergy. The character is designed to play a certain way from level 1 and every skill from then on just keeps supporting it.

Edited by Maxzero

Oh, is one of the streamers using a Mage Slayer? Did they fix the 50% duration reduction for release? They're removed it from the character creator descriptor in beta 4, but it was still applied in game.

Edited by CottonWolf

I always pictured the Darcozzi Paladini as being like the Vatican's Swiss Guard.

Given their favoured Dispositions, I always imagined them more like the Three Musketeers.

these musketeers.

HA! Good Fun!

ps (edit) actual description from game is as follows:

The Darcozzi Paladini, the oldest known paladin order in the world, were founded as the guards of the Darcozzi Palace in Grand Vailia over 2000 years ago. Since the shattering of Grand Vailia, the Darcozzi Paladini have transformed into the protectors and ambassadors of the immense Darcozzi family as well as Old Vailian culture. The Darcozzi Paladini are widespread and occasionally even come into conflict with each other due to the machinations of the Darcozzi family. Paladins of the order are renowned for their wit and love of life.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)