What class(s) are you planning making your first character and why?

Single class Fighter, always play that. Is it boring? Maybe... but I just like having my character a regular adventurer type guy with no magic or anything.

I can respect that. I know in some games I prefer a much more grounded character.

I think that usually the main drive behind playing a fighter is to be the most efficient user of that Ultimate Sword of Badassiness ^^

Playing a Fighter makes your equipment feel so much more special than playing a Paladin for example.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

am gonna play a contemplative (priest of eothas/helwalker) orlan either as a vailian artist or a deadfire drifter. 

reasons: there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot.  main character priests and paladins is the only classes which receive actual gameplay benefits from dispositions, so is motivations if you is gonna have a priest or paladin in the party to do so as a mc. there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot. poe orlans received more extra dialogues than other races and am predicting the trend will continue in deadfire based on developer feedback and beta observations.  there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot.  wisdom, or its equivalent, has always been a no-lose choice for maximizing dialogue options in bis/obsidian games.  poe didn't have wisdom, but resolve were resulting in more than a few o' the genuine intriguing dialogue options in poe... but the developers is making a conscious effort to diminish the impact o' attribute scores in favor o' skills.  as such, insight offers a good option for filling the wisdom void for dialogues-- artist and drifter is gonna get us an extra point in addition to the monk point.  were considering philosopher background, but vailia and deadfire is more cultural relevant to this game. there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot.  helwalker contemplatives is gonna be kinda squishy for the first half o' the game, even if we do use 'em primarily ranged.  maximizing wounds to maintain might bonus means any helwalker is gonna need be conscientious o' ultimate inevitable bad dice rolls.  play as a contemplative provides extra, and possible essential, heal options.  there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot

am suspecting the amount o' class specific dialogues we get by playing a priest is gonna be disappointing-- such were the case in poe.  nevertheless, there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as lord of light has been mentioned a couple times by developers in conjunction with poe, am also considering the possibility eothas is not actual the driver o' the colossal statue.  *insert plot twist here*  just a thought.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm going to play a fighter/rogue with a single sword for aesthetic reasons and hope it works. The fighter half might be devoted, though that feels a bit like cheating. The rogue half may be a streetfighter, since it feels like it makes sense... but is also risky unless I pack heavy armor and invest in constitution.

I'm going to continue with my PoE character and she is a fighter that only used regular swords, and I don't want to drastically change what she is. So a Devoted Fighter with sword focus, seems to fit her perfectly.

However I also want to do multiclassing, and I'm not entirely decided what I'm going for, still want the second class to feel like a plausible character development.

F/Cipher, being a watcher and due to the events of PoE she unlocked ciphering abilities, currently I like this idea the most.

F/Rogue, she played like a bruiser, dual wielding and into the fray. Swashbuckler would also be a extremely good match to her character.

(F/Paladin, this one could also fit into her story and disposition but I'm not that sold with this option, the other two are more appealing.)

• Like 1

After seeing the highest level abilities, I'm planning to keep my druid pure class. Too much fun-looking stuff up there! In fact, I may keep all my companions pure classes as well so I can try stuff out before messing around with multiclassing.

I'm now debating whether to stick with the default druid or go with Lifegiver. I don't mind giving up summoning, but the penalty on rejuvenation spells after shapeshifting ends sounds annoying.

am gonna play a contemplative (priest of eothas/helwalker) orlan either as a vailian artist or a deadfire drifter. 

reasons: there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot.  main character priests and paladins is the only classes which receive actual gameplay benefits from dispositions, so is motivations if you is gonna have a priest or paladin in the party to do so as a mc. there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot. poe orlans received more extra dialogues than other races and am predicting the trend will continue in deadfire based on developer feedback and beta observations.  there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot.  wisdom, or its equivalent, has always been a no-lose choice for maximizing dialogue options in bis/obsidian games.  poe didn't have wisdom, but resolve were resulting in more than a few o' the genuine intriguing dialogue options in poe... but the developers is making a conscious effort to diminish the impact o' attribute scores in favor o' skills.  as such, insight offers a good option for filling the wisdom void for dialogues-- artist and drifter is gonna get us an extra point in addition to the monk point.  were considering philosopher background, but vailia and deadfire is more cultural relevant to this game. there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot.  helwalker contemplatives is gonna be kinda squishy for the first half o' the game, even if we do use 'em primarily ranged.  maximizing wounds to maintain might bonus means any helwalker is gonna need be conscientious o' ultimate inevitable bad dice rolls.  play as a contemplative provides extra, and possible essential, heal options.  there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot

am suspecting the amount o' class specific dialogues we get by playing a priest is gonna be disappointing-- such were the case in poe.  nevertheless, there is a giant eothas possessed statue central to the deadfire plot.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as lord of light has been mentioned a couple times by developers in conjunction with poe, am also considering the possibility eothas is not actual the driver o' the colossal statue.  *insert plot twist here*  just a thought.

That certainly is a big shiny plot hook to get the ball moving, you almost can't see the forest behind it.

Hmm.  There is someone knocking at my door.  brb.

A very nice young herring dropped off a package for me.  I complimented him on his timing, and boy did he blush.

Anyway, he gave my a curious little box marked 'scavenger hunt.'  What's this on top?  Quite the fancy cloak.  

Anyway, where were we?  Ah yes, someone's gone walkabout in a simple little progression from A to B.  Sounds like it would be quite the rousing tale, if a bit trite and predictable.

Paladin (BW) cipher (ascendant),

Probably with a arquebus,  flames of devotion to get a big hit/oneshot someone and without waiting to reload start spamming powers (repeat)

I want to test dual blonderbuss with the modal and the resistence to it from paladin but in backer beta the flames hit friends too.

Edited by Arctic

Trying to decide currently. I have two characters to bring over but the question is how to change them, if at all, for the new systems. First was a fireball loving muscle-wizard that’s near and dear to my heart, second is sheildbearer Paladin that was a ton of fun.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Actually not sure what I'll do now that Soul Blade/Bleak Walker has been brought down to earth now that Flames of Devotion numbers aren't quite as high.  Maybe I'll still roll that, but Definitely don't really want to play a Cipher that is casting constantly.

Maybe one of the Helwaker with guns builds?  helwaker/Wizard with the summoned Pike doesn't sound bad at all either.     

Edited by Urthor

I'll be going with a Paladin.

Maybe multi-class. Haven't decided yet.

I'm considering the entire group layout as well in regards to the decision.

Watcher (Damage)

Eder (Damage)

Aloth (Control)

Xoti (Support)

Pallegina (Tank)

Is the group I'm intending to take for my first run through.

Actually not sure what I'll do now that Soul Blade/Bleak Walker has been brought down to earth now that Flames of Devotion numbers aren't quite as high. Maybe I'll still roll that, but Definitely don't really want to play a Cipher that is casting constantly.

Maybe one of the Helwaker with guns builds? helwaker/Wizard with the summoned Pike doesn't sound bad at all either.

Helwalker is very good for ranged class, shattered pillar for meleer, drug monk for universal. All very potential. As Boeroer said a Helwalker/Wizard can be super good because summon weapon + Swift flurry combo.

I'm not playing right off the bat.  I want to play a shifter druid with some other melee class to complement but I'm afraid that the devs will nerf the everlasting gobstopper out of druids before I play. So its up in the air for me. I like certain things but I wont play a underpowered class combination.

I'm not playing right off the bat.  I want to play a shifter druid with some other melee class to complement but I'm afraid that the devs will nerf the everlasting gobstopper out of druids before I play. So its up in the air for me. I like certain things but I wont play a underpowered class combination.

The nerfhammer :) I played a lot combos in beta and almost all are nerfed to some degree, Unbroken/wizard(no longer trigger disengagement attack when enemy flees), Kind wayfarer/Helwalker(nerf of FoD, nerf of Lightning strike), Monk with rod(rod blast can trigger Swift flurry and has cascade effect, instantly kill a bunch of enemy). Rogue/Wizard(aoe from rod and blight no longer triggers affliction). Ranger/Berath priest(wounding is nerfed to only based on weapon damage, was applied to total damage in beta 3).

Now I'm playing a Devoted/Soulblade(cleave and soul annihilation) and a Sharpshooter/Helwalker(rod + driving flight + swift flurry), hopefully these won't be nerfed ;)

Edited by dunehunter

After further review I've decided to go Bleak Walker/Black Jacket.  Two sets of dual wielded pistols and then get down and dirty with a Sabre/Dagger.  

Normally I hate the idea of using black jacket to weapon swap through firearms cause it seems cheesy and against the spirit of the subclass, but when combined with bleak walker it actually does make a lot of thematic sense, brutal efficiency and all that. 

The nerfhammer :) I played a lot combos in beta and almost all are nerfed to some degree, Unbroken/wizard(no longer trigger disengagement attack when enemy flees), Kind wayfarer/Helwalker(nerf of FoD, nerf of Lightning strike), Monk with rod(rod blast can trigger Swift flurry and has cascade effect, instantly kill a bunch of enemy). Rogue/Wizard(aoe from rod and blight no longer triggers affliction). Ranger/Berath priest(wounding is nerfed to only based on weapon damage, was applied to total damage in beta 3).

Now I'm playing a Devoted/Soulblade(cleave and soul annihilation) and a Sharpshooter/Helwalker(rod + driving flight + swift flurry), hopefully these won't be nerfed ;)

From previous evidence in POE and the beta, I would expect any build better than average will be nerfed harshly. The philosophy of OBS lately seems to be "viability for all, superiority for none" no matter what you try.

Going pure elven wizard again, mostly because I just love wizards and they’re always my go to class. That and I really like the background story I made up for my wizard, of wanting to be the next archmage and doing pretty much anything to get that goal done.

From previous evidence in POE and the beta, I would expect any build better than average will be nerfed harshly. The philosophy of OBS lately seems to be "viability for all, superiority for none" no matter what you try.

Yep, I'm get a bit bored tho, maybe I'm the only one who won't play the game on 8th, would like to wait a few patch before starting the game.