What class(s) are you planning making your first character and why?

Leaning towards Ghost heart Ranger/ Druid Fury  that I recently played in the Beta - looking forward to having Eder take over mechanics for this party! 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Not exactly. A Helwalker because of 10 MIG and INT is correct, but I will use Kalakoth's Minor Blights + Merciless Gaze (+ petrifying/paralyzing spells) + Swift Flurry and later Citzal's Spirit Lance + Swift Flurry + Turning Wheel + Hammering Drum + Instruments of Pain  to insta-kill groups of enemies.

Berserker + Skeletons + Blood Thirst --> killing your own summons while confused will hopefully trigger Blood Thirst and give me 0 recovery all the time.

If Blood Thirst works with spells like in PoE I might also consider Berserker/Evoker Berserker/Soulblade or Berserker/Fury.

Of course I will test this all via console before deciding what to do.

There are some cool new abilites I want to check out synergies for...

A bit off topic perhaps but, since you seem to have tested this extensively in the beta; How do you properly add abilities and such to your character? When I tried adding the monk modal or the spirit lance etc, it shows up as "Already acquired" in the talent tree, but I do not have access to it in my ability bar. Is there an additional step required to make them usable? Do you need to add power levels or something?

For Duality you need to add the base ability and two other ones:

Duality_of_Mortal_Presence

Duality_of_Mortal_Presence_A_Modal

Duality_of_Mortal_Presence_B_Modal

Else they will not show upo in your action bar.

For the Spirit Lance (for testing purposes) I simply use giveItem Citzals_Spirit_Lance - then you can use it without even summoning it. This also works with Kalakoth's Minor Blights, but you can only give yourself one of the four elemental versions - it will of course not cycle after every shot. But for testing purposes it's totally fine.

Works with every summoned weapon, including Long Pain.

Adding wizard/priest/druid/chanter/cipher spells that are above your power level is tricky. First you have to unlock the UI in the action bar that lets you access higher level spells. Never tried that so far. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

As we could see in the latest stream some abilities got changed from beta4 to final version. And some new abilites were added into the lower tiers.

I read somewhere that Carnage isn't as powerful in PoE2 as it was in PoE1? Could anyone explain the difference, because I'm still trying to decide whether to multiclass with Fighter or Barb...

I read somewhere that Carnage isn't as powerful in PoE2 as it was in PoE1? Could anyone explain the difference, because I'm still trying to decide whether to multiclass with Fighter or Barb...

The main thing is on hit effects (things like "chance to stun on hit") aren't applied with Carnage attacks, so it's now purely an AoE damage ability.

The main thing is on hit effects (things like "chance to stun on hit") aren't applied with Carnage attacks, so it's now purely an AoE damage ability.

I see. What about damage bonuses like Sneak Attack?

I've been playing a Barbarian merc in PoE (loosely based on Boeroer's Golden Dragon) so it's only logical to take him over to Deadfire. 

I will probably turn him into a Brute (Barbarian/Fighter) with a sword and shield style. 

Should be fun. 

Berserker/Beckoner.

Won't the confusion from berzerker make all your phrases buff the enemies and/or damage your allies?

Personally I am all over the map. I know I want to focus on a bruiser build (tanky DPS), but having a hard time deciding. I am really liking the way monks (shattered pillar specifically) are shaping up, but I can't decide between multi classing with Devoted, Kind Wayfarer, Barbarian or Shifter, they all look good.

After watching the full trees the Barbarian also looks a lot more appealing than I initially thought, so now I am even more indecisive than I was previously.

I am confused about some of the stacking though. Do the attack speed bonuses from rage stack with lightning strikes? If so, +45% attack speed sounds pretty good. Also, does the con bonus from duality of mortal presence stack with fit/hardy?

Chanters also look stupid good, but there are enough chanter companions available that I will not make the PC one.

Paladin/Ranger is still good. Tons of low-cost Full Attacks.

I recently tested ranger/rogue with focus on wounding DoTs and from lvl 6 to 9 it's very good. Use dual Battle Axes with modal, use Arterial Strike for cheap Full Attacks and DoT, use Deep Wounds and the foes will melt. Also that yopur pet always has Predetor's Sense is nice. I consoled Depp Wounds in in order to test.

Edited by Boeroer

I'm still undecided at this point. I wanted a ranger.. anything nice combo with a ranger? ranger/cipher or ranger/druid?

Ranger/rogue looks quite good to me.  It gives the ranger a lot of the solid attacks the class is simply missing. 

If you just put points into the companion (which is the only functional part of the ranger class, IMO), you can multi with pretty much anything.  The beast goes and does whatever while the ranger focuses on throwing the other class abilities.

Using my human (Meadow Folk) single class fighter. Subclassed as Unbroken. Did a fighter tank build in the first Pillars of Eternity and just loved it.

Someone knows whats up))))

Going for Coastal Aumaua cause it's just more fun seeing this towering dude in fullplate, beat the crap out of everyone.

Not yet sure if i'll go with Devoted+Maces or Unbroken.

Edited by Doxy
  • Like 1

I'm personally in doubt between:

- a barbarian wirh moring star (+ modal) and high accuracy to capitalize over brute force & crits. And for barbarian: more kills = more of everything ( dmg, buffs, ecc)

- a dual axe wielder rogue ( streetfighter) with high str & const --> frontliner with huge dmg

- a fire godlike high constitution monk or monk/fighter for abuse retaliation dmg and fighter's healings (+10 might/+10 int should do wonders for veteran recovery, unbending, ecc)

• Like 1

Yes, I also thought that a Barbarian crit build with Morning Star + modal + Brute Force could be very nice. Maybe in combo with the weaking phrase of a Skald and Killers-Invocation? Or Devoted?

• Like 1

a Barbarian crit build with Morning Star + modal + Brute Force could be very nice.

Are the -25% damage from the Morningstar modal and the +25% damage from the more common criticals (due to Brute Force resulting in Morningstar hits virtually reducing enemy deflection by 25 points) canceling each other out? I have very little understanding over which damage modifiers are multiplicative and which are additive in this game.

• Like 1

Yes, I also thought that a Barbarian crit build with Morning Star + modal + Brute Force could be very nice. Maybe in combo with the weaking phrase of a Skald and Killers-Invocation? Or Devoted?

Or a monk with enervating blows, or priest interdiction, some chiper powers... There are lots of comboes...

Atm i'm fan of pure class barbarian, at lest until i havn't tried heart of fury and barbaric retaliation ( dump resolve was never so mandatory...)

For Iscalio

Rule of thumb: everything is addittive, ecept might and lashes.

Semplified math for non experts: all additive or subtractive dmg are calculated--> the total gets multiplied by might --> this is your total dmg. Lashes are calculated than as a percentage of the total dmg

Edited by Dr <3
  • Like 1

Single class Fighter, always play that. Is it boring? Maybe... but I just like having my character a regular adventurer type guy with no magic or anything.

I can respect that. I know in some games I prefer a much more grounded character.

• Like 2

Or a monk with enervating blows, or priest interdiction, some chiper powers... There are lots of comboes...

Atm i'm fan of pure class barbarian, at lest until i havn't tried heart of fury and barbaric retaliation ( dump resolve was never so mandatory...)

For Iscalio

Rule of thumb: everything is addittive, ecept might and lashes.

Semplified math for non experts: all additive or subtractive dmg are calculated--> the total gets multiplied by might --> this is your total dmg. Lashes are calculated than as a percentage of the total dmg

MIG is multiplicative and a 25% malus is actually a 33% malus. So no, they don't cancel each other out but the malus has more impact. However, you can simply hit an enemy with the morning star + modal once and then switch if off for full damage. The debuff has a good duration.

• Like 1