What class(s) are you planning making your first character and why?

I tend to change my ideas a lot but currently I'm planning on playing a mindstalker, rogue with no subclass + beguiler cipher. My sneak attacks will do 70% bonus damage and I should have plenty of ways to trigger it. My character will be a ranged dps/debuffer probably using rods and/or scepters, and a club for melee, since the proficiency ability reduces their will, which should leave them vulnerable to being dominated or otherwise debuffed. 

Thematically I find the fact that my resource pools will be guile and psionics very pleasing. Where possible in interactions I intend to make my character arrogant and deceptive, falling somewhere between true neutral and neutral evil in alignment, though not completely disagreeable and uncooperative. I'll be on the lookout to find situations where it would be justifiable for my character to want to assassinate otherwise friendly NPC characters, but I won't just do it willy-nilly. 

How about you? 

Male Orlan Ascendant Cipher. Why? Because it's the character I played as in PoE, on my first playthrough, and whose save I am importing. I liked ciphers the most as I used their spells unlike wizards/druids/priests. Not so much of an issue in Deadfire.

Ascendant subclass, because it fits best to what his role was in PoE1 and I will be focusing him on damage/CC. Still need to decide what weapon he will use. He used Arquebus in PoE, but it hardly seemed like an optimal pick. 

Scout (Rogue-Trickster/Ranger-Stalker); I had a melee ranger in the first game and love the idea of rushing into combat with my animal buddy. Now I get to do the same here but with the added rogue and trickster abilities to make escape or engagement more fluid and interesting.

Edit: After watching the char creation of the livestream, I may also do monk/ranger or fighter/ranger. SO MANY CHOICES

Edited by anathanielh
  • Like 1

Aumaua kind wayfarer/beckoner explorer from the deadfire.

I continue with my last main char from PoE1, a kind wayfarer. His damage was not so great in PoE1, so I chose to make him an army general instead of trying to make a damage monster out of him.

A human priest of Eothas from Aedyr with the clergyman background with high resolve and intelligence for roleplaying reasons (too bad resolve doesn't affect healing anymore). He was my watcher from the first game, so I want to continue the story with him.

• Like 1

Probably will start with the Mindstalker. I really enjoyed playing the Cipher in PoE1, and I've always liked playing rogues in RPGs, so it should be a perfect combination for me :) I'm thinking about dual sabers and a mix of Cipher CC spells to set up sneak attacks and Rogue survival abilities to GTFO when things get too hot. My character will definitely be specializing in stealth and mechanics, and will have high perception. Basically, he's gonna be the party's rogue in the classic sense of the word, scouting ahead, finding and disarming traps, backstabbing enemies etc., but with a spellcaster twist :) Should be fun.

I've been toying with tweaking my imported Chanter as Chanter/Nalpazca or Chanter/Wizard, and to be frank, I'm still not sure. Knowing myself, I'll probably end up overwhelmed by all the options and just stick to pure Chanter, if only to see the high-level chants.

Was thinking about going Beckoner, but the prevalent undead theme isn't really my cup of tea.

I played a Priest of Skaen in the first game and I was thinking of making him a Priest/Rogue this time if Lesser Sneak Attack and Sneak Attack stack, I wanted a bit more focus on the backstabbing rather than the casting so this seems like a good way to do it.

i will play Barbarian (Corpse Eater) / Cipher (Soul Blade), if Corpse eating is slower than 3 seconds, i will change it to berserker. I assume Carnage aoe will get bonus damage from Soul Blade's buffs and both classes will work very good tougether. 

Soulblade/Bleakwalker, because my first watcher was a melee cipher and I feel like bleak walkers fit some of his personality traits (brutal efficiency, results matter most) but he's not bloodthristy, and this combination fits the cipher playstyle I couldn't pull off in POE1.  

Also am mostly picking cipher abilities whenever I can, only getting flames of devotion, sworn enemy and passives from the paladin tree most likely and only when i have to spend points in that tree(power level gaining).

I played a Priest of Skaen in the first game and I was thinking of making him a Priest/Rogue this time if Lesser Sneak Attack and Sneak Attack stack, I wanted a bit more focus on the backstabbing rather than the casting so this seems like a good way to do it.

'Lesser sneak attack' isn't a thing this time around, AFAIK

• Like 1

I'm planning to use my Death Godlike Cipher from the first game as an Ascendant but adding in a base Barbarian multiclass. Frenzy and some fun flavorful passives. Sticking with crossbow likely, tho might do scepters for self-damage modal if I want Blooded passive.

The plan is to Frenzy and pump out Draining Whip damage to reach Ascended then fire off quick-cast free Cipher powers. Won't really make use of Carnage but eh.

RP-wise, with what we know just from the Fig campaign launch trailer I feel like there's a good way to tie in the newfound rage. She was much more stoic and understanding/benevolent in the first game but I'm hoping to make her a bit less... forgiving this time around.

I'm really excited to see how my plans work out :3

Right now I'm thinking of making a Goldpact Knight (mainly from an RP perspective) but I'm torn on whether to make him a Berserker or Fighter multiclass. I like that Paladins can offset the confuse affliction eventually but it feels like it might be a hassle until I reach that level. Will his auras help enemies instead of allies? I'm not sure how it works yet. Then for Fighter I'm conflicted between regular Fighter and Devoted, simply because I want the flexibility to try out all the cool new weapons out there in the Deadfire. But on the other hand those Devoted bonuses seem really enticing. I'm not sure how much of that you can offset by switching weapons based on enemy armor ratings.

Edited by GuyNice

A Cipher with explicit focus on Crowd Control (Shocking I know.). That comes from all the flashbacks I have from not controlling crowds as a teenager while playing Baldur's Gate.

Yes! We have no bananas.

I want to do a Monk + druid (Helwalker + Shifter) so badly, but im a caster at heart so im going to do pure druid (im leaning on fury, but i might go pure animist, we'll see) and just make it a glass cannon nuke machine, As that is my style.

Im going to play through the game so many times though and i cannot wait to do some of the combos i have in mind. This game is going to be so amazing, i cant wait!

• Like 1

Well, i'll be importing from Pillars 1 so it's my Eothasian Priest.

Probably gonna keep him Pure-Priest (though i might multi-class with Fighter)

I feel like I remember your name from a Retcon Raider video. (Darkest Dungeon maybe?) Am I wrong?
  • Like 1

Well, i'll be importing from Pillars 1 so it's my Eothasian Priest.

Probably gonna keep him Pure-Priest (though i might multi-class with Fighter)

I feel like I remember your name from a Retcon Raider video. (Darkest Dungeon maybe?) Am I wrong?

The very same.

I quite enjoy Retcon's videos.

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 1