Deadfire system requirements have been updated. Crap, that will be a long download. I really could have used this steam pre-load: 

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-2100T @ 2.50 GHz / AMD Phenom II X3 B73
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 Compatible
    • Storage: 45 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10 GHz / AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

First PoE requirements for comparison:

• MINIMUM:
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 or NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
    • Storage: 14 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Graphics: Radeon HD 7700 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
    • Storage: 14 GB available space
Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 6

GeForce 960 recommended? I remember getting a 980 for Witcher 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

GeForce 960 recommended? I remember getting a 980 for Witcher 3

A lot of HD sparkles in Deadfire I suppose.

I just want to see Deadfire with eyes unclouded by unstable framerate. 

Edited by Wormerine

I should be ok, but unfortunately I play on Laptop and have GeForce GTX960M which is not as powerful as PC version. We will see how it will go.

In fairness to Obsidian, I find the beta runs better for the most part than PoE1. I just upgraded my monitor to 1440p, and I was worried, but it runs the beta fine. I wish you the best though. I have lived the laptop life before.

• Like 2

Is it gonna be normal to play on a laptop with NVIDIA GeForce 630M ? All other requirements are higher than recommended (intel i7, 12 RAM etc.).

I am pretty sure that is a DX11 chip, but you may have to lower settings. It should be ok, but I cant be sure. Nor would I say your frames would be great. Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 1

For folks with OS X:

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-4570S @ 2.9GHz
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770HQ @ 2.2 GHz
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X

And  Linux:

SteamOS + Linux

• MINIMUM:
  • RECOMMENDED:
  • Like 2

Is this some joke? Gtx 960? How did it jump from 570 to 960? Sorry if i'm aggresive but with requirement like gtx 960 i can forget to Play pillars, i mean i only have gtx 560 and because of previous requirements i buyed game ;(

Is this some joke? Gtx 960? How did it jump from 570 to 960? Sorry if i'm aggresive but with requirement like gtx 960 i can forget to Play pillars, i mean i only have gtx 560 and because of previous requirements i buyed game ;(

You should still be able to run the game, since that is only regarding recommended specs, not minimum. Still, you might have to dump quality a little - I might too (my card is a 4GB GTX 760, not sure if better or worse than the 960).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

You should still be able to run the game, since that is only regarding recommended specs, not minimum. Still, you might have to dump quality a little - I might too (my card is a GTX 780, not sure if better or worse than the 960).
780, given time and lack of full support from Nvidia for a while is probably pretty close to a 960. I cant say as my 780 died.

I do agree that it is very unlikely that 17gb decompresses into 45gb, but the audio files arent going to be small here. They fully VOed a game that is likely bigger than PoE1, and that adds up. However, they may have included headroom for patches and the like in the requirements. I doubt they would even know what the Dlcs size will be. Even the one slated for June is too far out to hazard anything better than a guesstimate.

Edited by Ganrich

And  Linux:

SteamOS + Linux

• MINIMUM:
  • RECOMMENDED:

Weird that the Linux specs are so much lower - 570 recommended, 9600 minimum.  (Edit:  Actually, not sure how the 570 compares to the 960)

What's windoze up to?

Maybe use Wubi (ubuntu installed through windows and as easy to uninstall, but running a full linux OS (option at boot time)) to play it.  Warning: Slightly more monkeying about to fix your boot-up if/when you remove the linux).

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Case study in OpenGL > than DX11?  Seriously, I don't know why the specs are lower on Linux, though. 

I can kind of see the GPU jump because this game looks a whole heck of a lot better than the first game, and there are a great deal of ambient animations playing, birds, weather, waves, etc.  Which I understand.  Most people build/buy a system and only feel comfortable upgrading the GPU.  So, if there is a piece of hardware that you can go up on in a lighter game like this I think it would be the GPU.  However, that doesn't mean I don't understand the pain for those that don't have the funds to do so.  Especially since GPU prices are bananas right now.  They have come down, but not enough IMHO.

• Like 1

Case study in OpenGL > than DX11?  Seriously, I don't know why the specs are lower on Linux, though. 

I can kind of see the GPU jump because this game looks a whole heck of a lot better than the first game, and there are a great deal of ambient animations playing, birds, weather, waves, etc.  Which I understand.  Most people build/buy a system and only feel comfortable upgrading the GPU.  So, if there is a piece of hardware that you can go up on in a lighter game like this I think it would be the GPU.  However, that doesn't mean I don't understand the pain for those that don't have the funds to do so.  Especially since GPU prices are bananas right now.  They have come down, but not enough IMHO.

Yeah, prices of GPU are really high right now, and even if you have Money it's hard to get GPU.

Returning to The pillars topic, i really think that requirement of GTX960 is way too much for this kind of game, i mean if you check steam, Witcher 3 have requirement of gtx 770 in recommended.

Also i don't really know how it is possible that Linux Has so much Lower GPU requirement, i mean can someone explain how is it even possible?

Will Pillars be uglier on Linux? If no and every thing is The same, then why Windows have much bigger requirement on GPU?

My only hope is fact that expect GPU my pc meets all other requirements on recommended.

I Can Play on low, i only pray to have 30 fps.

Check the OS X specs before complaining about the Windows ones .... i7 4770HQ and a 370X and 16gb ram.

That is probably 10% of all Macs out there meeting that req the highest end MacBook from a year and a half ago only barely meets it.

I hope for some optimisation on the platform cause either the laptop will melt down or I will have to play with headphones on due to the fans working overtime

In fairness, unless I'm too sleepy to read it correctly, the 960 is recommended. However, the required gpu is a DX11 compatible card which goes back a ways.

I expect older cards will be fine, but the 960 is what they used as a "this is max settings wothout any major fps dips" benchmark.

Also, as much as I love Obsidian, them plus unity engine doesn't equal CDPR with their proprietary one. CDPR are Wizards of the highest order. They also weren't building a five million-ish dollar game.

Like I said, I just bought a 2k monitor, and my rx580 runs the beta just fine. I expected major frame dips, but it hangs around 60fps no issue. I didn't want to buy a gpu right now. Now the full game might change how well it runs, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

• Like 3

I always fought a smaller budget game would equal smaller requirements. You know, like Supergiant stuff. Than again I really don’t know how programming works.

Edited by Wormerine

Returning to The pillars topic, i really think that requirement of GTX960 is way too much for this kind of game, i mean if you check steam, Witcher 3 have requirement of gtx 770 in recommended.

The 770 is more powerful than the 960. I don't really know what you were expecting; you have a GPU that didn't even meet the recommended requirements of the first PoE and Deadfire doesn't just look slightly better, it's on a whole other level - especially the animations and particles.

As for the Linux version: I'm 99.9% sure that they simply failed to copy the correct requirements since Steam shows the same requirements for Deadfire as it does for PoE1. So no, the game won't look any different.

Check the OS X specs before complaining about the Windows ones .... i7 4770HQ and a 370X and 16gb ram.

That is probably 10% of all Macs out there meeting that req the highest end MacBook from a year and a half ago only barely meets it.

I hope for some optimisation on the platform cause either the laptop will melt down or I will have to play with headphones on due to the fans working overtime

Or you could accept the fact that you're playing on a system that's still very much not optimized for gaming, lower the settings and be grateful that they decided to port it at all.

Edited by aeoncs
  • Like 1

The 770 is more powerful than the 960. I don't really know what you were expecting; you have a GPU that didn't even meet the recommended requirements of the first PoE and Deadfire doesn't just look slightly better, it's on a whole other level - especially the animations and particles.

As for the Linux version: I'm 99.9% sure that they simply failed to copy the correct requirements since Steam shows the same requirements for Deadfire as it does for PoE1. So no, the game won't look any different.

Or you could accept the fact that you're playing on a system that's still very much not optimized for gaming, lower the settings and be grateful that they decided to port it at all.

And that's why I don't like commenting on forums...

Because other people don't tend to enforce misplaced complaining? Porting games to OS X isn't exactly easy and more importantly it's not even worth it financially - which is why so few games get a port in the first place. So yes, one should absolutely be grateful that a relatively small team like Obsidian is doing this.

• Like 1

Because other people don't tend to enforce misplaced complaining? Porting games to OS X isn't exactly easy and more importantly it's not even worth it financially - which is why so few games get a port in the first place. So yes, one should absolutely be grateful that a relatively small team like Obsidian is doing this.

It's rather The fact that you are acting like a ****.