Early Access Stream Friday 8am EST

I think they will add more high level abilities in the DLCs, right now several classes didn't really have that much choices on Lv 8 and Lv 9. And the high level passives are really lacking here.

They definitely encourage Empower usage. Whether or not that equates to “lacking” remains to be seen. Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I think they will add more high level abilities in the DLCs, right now several classes didn't really have that much choices on Lv 8 and Lv 9. And the high level passives are really lacking here.

They definitely encourage Empower usage. Whether or not that equates to “lacking” remains to be seen.

From what I remember from the stream, most of the classes has the exact same high level passives, that's why I say lacking here.

They definitely encourage Empower usage. Whether or not that equates to “lacking” remains to be seen.
From what I remember from the stream, most of the classes has the exact same high level passives, that's why I say lacking here.
Great Soul @ PL8 and Prestige @ PL9 were the only two I saw across the board. Since wizards only have two spell slots per PL in their grimoires, it looks like they will have no choice but to take them.

On one hand, that might come across as “lacking”. On the other, I can’t imagine what better passive you could ask for than “make my **** badass and do it more often”.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

if anyone watched Cohh more than just character creation, tell me, did he used Attributes in dialogues? (intellect, resolve, might etc.). i don't know if i need put points in resolve to unlock more options, like in first game, or not.

Also at least one use of Might to do something requiring physical strength.

Devoted can only get one weapon proficiency. When you create your character you can pick one, let's say battleaxe. Can you upgrade that one proficiency more and more or can you only pick another one, like spear, when you are not a devoted subclass?

Devoted only get the one proficiency, but fighters all have passive abilities that give you Weapon Specialization with any weapons you have a proficiency in.  So, yes. 

Why are you guys saying that the rogue ability that lets you turn invisible after an attack (Nanishing Strike) is bad? For an Assassin it's a dream come true or do I miss something? Every attack will be Assassinate + Backstab when you only attack with that ability, right? At the same time you will be nigh untouchable after every attack. It hink that's pretty awesome. Maybe not for every rogue - but for some it seems to be very nice.

The rest of the high PL stuff sounds pretty lame though I have to agree. Why don't they like rogues at Obsidian? :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Why are you guys saying that the rogue ability that lets you turn invisible after an attack is bad? For an Assassin it's a dream come true or do I miss something? Every attack will be Assassinate + Backstab when you only attack with that ability, right? At the same time you will be nigh untouchable after every attack. It hink that's pretty awesome. Maybe not for every rogue - but for some it seems to be very nice. 

As a rogue/barbarian u can basically do the same thing, with smoke cloud + bloodthirst, with 0 recovery.

Also because u have two pool, smoke cloud cost less than vanishing attack, and u can use barbarian crush and regain power point after kill, which sounds better than the rogue ultimate ability.

Edited by dunehunter

The save import may have been borked, i know his eder stayed in dyrwood as a mayor and when he talked to him in POE2 eder said he joined the night market and a captain called him a dragon slayer even though in POE1 he never killed a dragon. if a dev manages to catch this they might want to look into import inconsistencies before the 8th of may.

6025422_EFPg_C_v1.png

Why are you guys saying that the rogue ability that lets you turn invisible after an attack is bad? For an Assassin it's a dream come true or do I miss something? Every attack will be Assassinate + Backstab when you only attack with that ability, right? At the same time you will be nigh untouchable after every attack. It hink that's pretty awesome. Maybe not for every rogue - but for some it seems to be very nice. 

As a rogue/barbarian u can basically do the same thing, with smoke cloud + bloodthirst, with 0 recovery.

Also because u have two pool, smoke cloud cost less than vanishing attack, and u can use barbarian crush and regain power point after kill, which sounds better than the rogue ultimate ability.

Depends on the cost.

And what's with the Chanter's tier-7 phrase that summons a skeleton? Pretty weird: Summons a skeleton every 6 seconds or how might this work? What's the linger time for? And what about a Troubadour with Brisk Recitation? Will he summon a skeleton every 3 seconds? Will the new one replace the old one? WIll they accumulate? With the other (actively summoned) creatures? 

• Like 1

I can't understand how those (seemingly) unbalanced abiltiy trees pass a quality check. The impression it makes that rogues have 1 active tier-9 ability only...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

And what's with the Chanter's tier-7 phrase that summons a skeleton? Pretty weird: Summons a skeleton every 6 seconds or how might this work? What's the linger time for? And what about a Troubadour with Brisk Recitation? Will he summon a skeleton every 3 seconds? Will the new one replace the old one? WIll they accumulate? With the other (actively summoned) creatures? 

Really strange phrase I think it's just a plain 6 sec phrase with 3 sec linger. A lot will depend on it's stats. Seems hard to justify though there are a lot of good phrases by then. Isn't that the same level you get the lifesteal phrase?

*edit* Actually that seems to come the power level before and it has a 10 sec duration so it should easy to rotate with another phrase.

Edited by Max_zero

I can't think of a mechanic where the linger durations makes any sense though. It must also be very annoying for a Troubadour to reposition and retarget that skeleton every 3 secs if they replace each other. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Nope, nope, nope. 

Just got spoiled on one of the NPCs.  

Never taking that one.  

Serafen, at least not as a cipher.   Wild Mind- a wild mage equivalent, including powers manifesting in 'spectacular and unexpected ways, often (but not always) aiding the party.'   No way I'd waste a party slot on a RNG-Stupid button.

Edited by Voss

I didn't watch past char creation - do you know how it works or do you just jump to conclusions based on guesswork?

The precise mechanics, no.  What I paraphrased is from the description, which just flatly states

cipher spells have a chance to trigger an unexpected effects, and the penalty clause for the subclass is "Sometimes wild mind manifestations can cause undesirable effects"

No guesswork, but little idea how often it will happen, which is pretty inline with how a lot of the ability descriptions are written.

Edited by Voss

I never really understood the fuss about resolve in Pillars 1, missing a couple dialog options wasn't a big deal. Though I think the attribute itself is better in Deadfire than in Pillars 1.

because dialogue options with Resolve was often and near end game they require about 19 points. which is crazy, specially if you didn't know how resolve heavy dialogues in this game. and when game force you to spend points in useless stat, just you could say what you think is best in that situation, is justify people's grumpiness about it. imo.

You lose nothing with low resolve. You can complete everything just fine picking other dialogue options.

You lose nothing with low resolve. You can complete everything just fine picking other dialogue options.

It's really only important/'losing out' if the dialogue options you really want for your character are the high Resolve ones. As you say, it's far from a requirement. But sometimes it can be worth it for those who really want it ^_^

That said, I've no complaint over how they chose to assign stat effects. I don't play hard difficulties on my story runs so it's pretty manageable regardless of how I initially assign stats.

Looking forward to checking out that ability tree video in greater detail when I get home from vacation though!

if anyone watched Cohh more than just character creation, tell me, did he used Attributes in dialogues? (intellect, resolve, might etc.). i don't know if i need put points in resolve to unlock more options, like in first game, or not.

Also at least one use of Might to do something requiring physical strength.

Yea, i suspected it. i think i will do something like 13 might (+2 from Dwarf ), 15 int, 15 perception, and 12 resolve. And i assume also stats can be increased with gear or food, so it should be enough.

I don't want to 'complete everything' i want to complete everything as i like it would be completed. i like peaceful outcomes, and 'resolve' sounds like peaceful option. Edited by OrKToS

I don't want to 'complete everything' i want to complete everything as i like it would be completed. i like peaceful outcomes, and 'resolve' sounds like peaceful option.

It's good from an RPG perspective. To pick an option that requires Resolve, you need a strong, confident character. For an option that requires Intellect, you need to be particularly smart. If you aren't those things, you can't pick the option. I can't see anything wrong with the system.

I don't want to 'complete everything' i want to complete everything as i like it would be completed. i like peaceful outcomes, and 'resolve' sounds like peaceful option.

It's good from an RPG perspective. To pick an option that requires Resolve, you need a strong, confident character. For an option that requires Intellect, you need to be particularly smart. If you aren't those things, you can't pick the option. I can't see anything wrong with the system.

The only thing that was wrong with it in Pillars 1 was how unbalanced it was towards RES.  If Deadfire dialogues and scripted interactions (1) use the expanded skills system more than they do attributes, and (2) check all attributes relatively evenly, it's good.