First playthrough without any Internet help? how important is this?

It's up to you. I mean it's what everyone did with early games. But in this day and age it might be helpful to be aware of bugs. If you manage to to run into a big one that say, breaks the game you might want to be aware of it. I'm not saying that's going to happen but it's something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

It is up to you, but I don't understand why anyone wants to spoil a story based RPG.  If you get stuck somewhere and honestly don't know what to do, okay, hit up the internet.  Otherwise, just play it naturally. 

• Like 2

Don't need any help from the internets when playing the game for the first time. Unless I run into a serious bug or get so stuck that I can't go on.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

As far as the story and quests go, I totally agree with you - there's no point in spoiling the fun by reading walkthroughs on the Internet :) As for the game mechanics, it's a bit more complicated. For instance, I can't imagine playing without referencing Pillars of Eternity Wiki - although the first instalment of the game came with a pretty decent manual, it was simply more convenient to look up ability descriptions etc. on the wiki. On the other hand, it seems like Obsidian have gone the extra mile to provide the players with comprehensive in-game information in Deadfire, like being able to preview the entire ability tree and so on. So maybe it will be possible to plan and build your party in Deadfire without referencing any external sources.

i think the game will be alot more enjoyabe if i find out everything for myself instead of coming to the forums for help

what do you guys reckon?

Would watching a movie or reading a book be better if you didn't know the plot beforehand?

Same answer applies to video games.

• Like 1

Vancian =/= per rest.

i think the game will be alot more enjoyabe if i find out everything for myself instead of coming to the forums for help

what do you guys reckon?

Would watching a movie or reading a book be better if you didn't know the plot beforehand?

well you cant get stuck on a puzzle or lost on a map watching a movie

what do you guys reckon?

well you cant get stuck on a puzzle or lost on a map watching a movie

It's still better to know only minimal amount of info (like author, genre and target audience) before playing.

• Like 1

Vancian =/= per rest.

Discovery is part of fun! If Deadfire is anything like PoE finding meaningful content to do should be easy enough to do - Major NPCs tend to stick out. It's not like Arcanum, Divinity or Fallout - talk to every NPC hoping one of them will something interesting to say.

As far as difficulty, I doubt you will get stucked. Tutorial is supposed to be much better than in PoE. 

This may sound a bit obvious but you only play a game for the first time once. 

I've been replaying Infinity Engine games for years and truth is by now I know all there is to know about them (well, almost, my memory isn't what it used to be so sometimes I forget a few details) and it's just not the same considering the sense of discovery that comes from playing a game for the very first time. 

I will even go further and say that it may be best to play on Expert mode the first time so you don't know what triggers dialogue checks and can actually choose a line for RPing reasons.

• Like 1

I will even go further and say that it may be best to play on Expert mode the first time so you don't know what triggers dialogue checks and can actually choose a line for RPing reasons.

Maybe not full Expert, but hidden reputations are a must. 

On my first playthrough I had the ranger companion bug, where my wolf just bugged out and could not respawn. If I had not looked it up on the net, I would not have restarted the game immediately and would have had a crippled PC for hours.

If you just can not get past a certain quest, NPC or area and you can not seem to figure out why that is the case, you should definitely look up the details, just in case you hit a gamebreaker, plotstopper or just missed a certain hint on how to solve the issue or a crucial  gameplayfeature.

If it is just for story I would be very cautious with getting info as it might be too much and spoil some of your experience. However, I will look up the wiki a lot to brush up my knowledge on the first game so that I grasp again what I did in the previous game, because I can not, for the hell of it, remember what exactly I did.

I'd like to be able to come to the forums to discuss how the game is going for me and see how others are doing early on - all in non-spoiler fashion - one problem with that is dealing with the impatient souls that are in such a hurry for answers that they post spoilers right in the titles where you can't unsee them -  :geek:

Of course I am certain the fine folks here will avoid such behavior at all cost.... :thumbsup:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

It's up to you. I mean it's what everyone did with early games. But in this day and age it might be helpful to be aware of bugs. If you manage to to run into a big one that say, breaks the game you might want to be aware of it. I'm not saying that's going to happen but it's something to keep in mind.

Yeah. For my first playthrough, the only reason I'll go internet diving is this - some huge game breaking bug I need to try to resolve.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***