I've been watching several videos and reading online on the classes and subclasses for Deadfire trying to plan out my first character and have run into a bottleneck trying to finalize my options.

I was mainly hoping to carry over a melee based Cipher and multi classing it ideally but have also considered trying to see if I could build a melee based Ranger.

So my options have mostly come down to a Cipher/Fighter, Cipher/monk or Cipher/ranger.

When possibly I've always liked trying to build a melee/magic hybrid utilizes the magic as a more support/debuff to my weapon damage.

Also with Ranger. I kind of feel like I'd want to use Stalker as the subclass and utilize the deflection bonus to help in melee combat.

I was hoping to get some thoughts or opinions from folks who may be more knowledgeable on the classes and new multiclassing/subclasses of Deadfire theu the betas.

Thanks in advance.

That was the Cipher subclass I was most likely going to take, forgot to specify that in the original post.

Part of me really wants to try combo'ing that with a Stalker Ranger but not sure if I'll really get enough usable melee skills as Rangers don't have a ton of skills but at least most aren't tied to being used on range weapons only.

I've been watching several videos and reading online on the classes and subclasses for Deadfire trying to plan out my first character and have run into a bottleneck trying to finalize my options.

I was mainly hoping to carry over a melee based Cipher and multi classing it ideally but have also considered trying to see if I could build a melee based Ranger.

So my options have mostly come down to a Cipher/Fighter, Cipher/monk or Cipher/ranger.

When possibly I've always liked trying to build a melee/magic hybrid utilizes the magic as a more support/debuff to my weapon damage.

Also with Ranger. I kind of feel like I'd want to use Stalker as the subclass and utilize the deflection bonus to help in melee combat.

I was hoping to get some thoughts or opinions from folks who may be more knowledgeable on the classes and new multiclassing/subclasses of Deadfire theu the betas.

Thanks in advance.

Soulblade/Devoted, double penetration bonus, Conquerer stance + Borrowed Instinct = high acc + high deflection, Cleave generate focus -> focus for Soul Annihilation -> SA causes more Cleave. Also quite tanky in late game due to fighter abilities and good motility due to Charge.

Ascendant/Goldpact, open fight with FoD to get max focus, and get buffed by Eternal Flame because the lash applies to Spells. Also Sworn Enemy increase spell damage. Light armor + Gilded Enmity can make sure you are sturdy, also make u cast faster than wearing heavy armor. Mind blades is pretty strong in this setup.

Soulblade/Assassin, backstab to generate focus, then use SA, but is too fragile so I don't recommend.

Beguiler/Ranger, good because you can cause flank easily with pet, which synergy good with Beguiler. Also ranger has Mark + Stalkers Link that offer u +20 accuracy, this affect spells too so your CC will rarely miss.

Cipher/Monk I haven't tried but should also work because monk has the best autoattacks now, combo with cipher to get soulwhip would be great.

Edited by dunehunter

you could try ranged cypher(ascendant)/monk(helwalker), stay in the back with a bow or an implement, a dance of death to buildup wounds, and flurry for fast attacks.

You build up wounds from safety, giving you might bonus and accuracy(helwaker wounds+DoD), doing lots of damage to build up focus fast(draining whip) then you start blasting with cypher powers with boosted power level, might and fast(from  FoB).

If someone charges you, force of anguish, and reposition.

And you can still do decent melee combat from time to time, but more like a rogue than a tank  

Edited by divjak

There are so many interesting combos now thanks to both subclasses and multiclassing it's going to be tough getting my choice down. I do feel mostly drawn to either a melee Cipher/Fighter or Cipher/Ranger.

Is it sad that I'm slightly weird about being labeled "Seer" from the multiclass combo of Cipher Ranger lol.

I think cypher monk combo I posted is most powerful because they complement each other so well. Every ability monk has can be implemented into cypher playstyle, huge damage, control, speed, monk basically lets you play cypher on another level 

.. and if you pick the rod or scepter, which ever one does blast modal, and damages you, can be used even without of DoD to build  up wounds and lets you build up focus even faster, but then you get hit, DoD becomes useless, and you skip it 

I dont think cyphers work best when in melee, unless soul blade spamming that one ability,  but if you wont to play with cypher powers then most optimal is to stay ranged, definitely for other subclasses, ascedant+monk, and beguiler is more CC oriented, maybe rogue to enable sneak attacks, or ranger to enable pet damage boosts

I personally will be doing druid shifter, single or multi, just because I really like a shapeshifting flavour   

Edited by divjak

I feel like after spending some of the weekend going thru abilities and skills I've narrowed down my choices to either a Cipher(Soulblade)/Fighter or a Cipher(Soulblade)/Ranger(Stalker) both geared with medium armor and melee.

I would be focusing most of my main cipher based abilities around the self buff/debuff of enemies plus I know I could make use of some of the abilities that target allied with the Ranger pet effectively.

Edited by Niteshade_Rune

Since I'm trying to put a lot of thought into setting up my first playthru in Deadfire. I'm almost certain what 2 options of class combinations I'm going to decide between.

Would there be any serious cons to going with the Cipher(soulblade)/Ranger(Stalker) vs Fighter as the other multiclass option?

I feel like I'd get access to far more survivability with fighter abilities but it seems like there could be a lot of interesting utility with the Ranger option as well.

Edited by Niteshade_Rune

Thanks in advance.

Soulblade/Devoted, double penetration bonus, Conquerer stance + Borrowed Instinct = high acc + high deflection, Cleave generate focus -> focus for Soul Annihilation -> SA causes more Cleave. Also quite tanky in late game due to fighter abilities and good motility due to Charge.

Ascendant/Goldpact, open fight with FoD to get max focus, and get buffed by Eternal Flame because the lash applies to Spells. Also Sworn Enemy increase spell damage. Light armor + Gilded Enmity can make sure you are sturdy, also make u cast faster than wearing heavy armor. Mind blades is pretty strong in this setup.

Soulblade/Assassin, backstab to generate focus, then use SA, but is too fragile so I don't recommend.

Beguiler/Ranger, good because you can cause flank easily with pet, which synergy good with Beguiler. Also ranger has Mark + Stalkers Link that offer u +20 accuracy, this affect spells too so your CC will rarely miss.

Cipher/Monk I haven't tried but should also work because monk has the best autoattacks now, combo with cipher to get soulwhip would be great.

i assume for a devoted you'd go dualwielding sabres? I am just really unsure to lock myself into a specific weapon...and then find a nice soulbound weapon from a different class lol

what attribute allocation would you take? i'd think might / dexterity / intelligence at 16, rest at 10....? or maybe int 14 and perc at 12

Edited by Nemesis7884

After studying more of the abilities between the classes/subclasses I've been considering, I'm still finding myself stuck.

Between a Cipher(Soulbade)/Fighter w/either no subclass for constant recovery or Black Jacket, and a Cipher(Soulblade)/Ranger(Stalker).

I'm mainly torn between these options for more of a personal rp reason with my character than maximizing stats/abilities and I can see benefits to both combos as while I lack the raw defensive bonuses if I take the Stalker Ranger option I get increased utility with having the pet to help flank/dish out damage, boosted accuracy with some attacks and a knockdown. And would still be able to get solid buffs out of my Cipher abilities.

Going with the Fighter route I'm tempted to give up Constant recovery in favor of Black Jacket due to wanting to have the option of a great sword, a 1h weapon and also proficiency with pistols.

I may be putting more thought into building my character than I need to but thats always been one of the things with games like this that I enjoy.

I'm just heavily undecided on the overall benefits and pros/cons to either setup.

Wondering if anyone has by chance attempted something similar to the above combos that might be able to offer some insight on the setup and possibly a rough place to start with attribute allocation.

Soulblade/Stalker... this is not perfect. Since cipher wants alot of dps on own weapon, but ranger splots power on pet.

If you want melee cipher Soulblade is good call. It is beneficial if you slash it with something with boost to attack power, like:

Barbarian, Rogue, Assasin (since melee), Fighter, BleakWaker, You could pick any and it will be good.

Black Jacket is not that great on melee, you could get extra weapon slot anyway, and constant recovery is helpfull.

For races: Death or MoonMoon godlikes should be ok.

Soulblade/Stalker... this is not perfect. Since cipher wants alot of dps on own weapon, but ranger splots power on pet.

If you want melee cipher Soulblade is good call. It is beneficial if you slash it with something with boost to attack power, like:

Barbarian, Rogue, Assasin (since melee), Fighter, BleakWaker, You could pick any and it will be good.

Black Jacket is not that great on melee, you could get extra weapon slot anyway, and constant recovery is helpfull.

For races: Death or MoonMoon godlikes should be ok.

I hadn't thought about it but I'm guessing the ranger animal companion wouldn't contribute to the cipher focus gain when dealing damage?

I was hoping I might be able to make a Soulblade/Stalker work out as it would allow me to get a melee fighting pet class with a bit of magic on the side for an interesting character build.

Edited by Niteshade_Rune