Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to resist the cleansing flames?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

AramJese

AramJese

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Steam:aramdegracia

another stupidly difficult fight that I had was the alpine dragon. tough guys such as Pallegina, Zahua and my watcher were massacred super fast, High damage dealers such as Aloth and Zahua attacks were not effective against this demon. I eventually killed him but I had to use very high Fire damage attacks, my paladin was effective here and also durance.

Confusing does wonders here, using the dragon's minions as shields in a sense. Keep them alive long enough to finish the dragon. BTW Having Steadfast fully evolved helps a lot too (that's true of any Dragon fight, really).

The way I killed it was by putting Zahua and Eder to the front so they can distract the beast... My paladin watcher was killing every minion possible, Durance buffed the tanks and also had the rain of fire and cleansing flames to attack the dragon directly. Aloth with the magical spear was helping the watcher to kill the minions and Pallegina buffed the watcher and Aloth with  + 25 deflection bonus. when all the minions where slaughtered by the watcher an Aloth, this last one buffed himself to the top and started casting pierce and raw damage spells while the watcher did the sacred immolation that dealt damage to the dragon while healed my other people which were fighting the beast.  Zahua had his clones invoked to help and he was using a spear plus resolution sabre.

• Torm51 likes this

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Steam:extol51
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not bad.  High CON is what you want for Dragon tanking so all those martial classes work, as does Paladin but you had him on add melting duty with SI so that works.  You could of flipped it tanking with your Paladin cause they have high Fort and killing adds with Eder and Zahua but thats just another way of doing it.  Lots of ways to skin a cat :p  Good job!

• AramJese likes this

AramJese

AramJese

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Not bad.  High CON is what you want for Dragon tanking so all those martial classes work, as does Paladin but you had him on add melting duty with SI so that works.  You could of flipped it tanking with your Paladin cause they have high Fort and killing adds with Eder and Zahua but thats just another way of doing it.  Lots of ways to skin a cat :p  Good job!

Zahua died couple of times because he has lower deflection because I use him dual wielding but I had Pallegina, Durance and my Paladin to revive them

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Zahua died couple of times because he has lower deflection because I use him dual wielding but I had Pallegina, Durance and my Paladin to revive them

Look at the Dragon Auto attacks in the combat log they do not target deflection. They target Fort, Breath targets Reflex.   Either way good job on the rez's!  

AramJese

AramJese

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Look at the Dragon Auto attacks in the combat log they do not target deflection. They target Fort, Breath targets Reflex.   Either way good job on the rez's!  

then how they died so soon if Pallegina has 135 reflex, and 110 fortitude, my watcher has 125 reflex and 115 fortitude, Eder and Zahua have abruptly high fortitude with 100+ reflex, that's odd then

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Dragons have a base Accuracy of like 130, and like 150 on PoTD so with all those scores you are below their accuracy thresh hold and they are very likely to hit you.  Also their base damage is like in the 100s so even a graze can hit you for like 50 or 70.  If you take hits even the best tank will be dead in two or three shots.  Also the Alpine Dragon is a Rogue and he has deathblows.  So if you have status affects he will sneak attack you for massive damage with that crazy base damage.

Edited by Torm51, Yesterday, 10:18 AM.

• AramJese likes this

AramJese

AramJese

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Dragons have a base Accuracy of like 130, and like 150 on PoTD so with all those scores you are below their accuracy thresh hold and they are very likely to hit you.  Also their base damage is like in the 100s so even a graze can hit you for like 50 or 70.  If you take hits even the best tank will be dead in two or three shots.  Also the Alpine Dragon is a Rogue and he has deathblows.  So if you have status affects he will sneak attack you for massive damage with that crazy base damage.

thank you so much for explaining, that's the reason why Pallegina has died without advise, she was stunned then he did a critical hit to her and she died making me fail the child of the five suns quest and in consequence making me to reload the battle. btw (I'm playing hard mode + expert but I had to activate the maim characters before killing them)

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Exactly,  abilities like Liberating Exhortation and the priest AOE version that does the same thing but for a shorter period are VERY good in the fight against the Alpine Dragon.  You want the tank to be CLEAN of ANY status affects or risk sneak attacks and death blows which will be lethal.  That being said the best way to tank a Dragon is not to.  Do not get me wrong I LOVE tanking stuff so I have had Paladins who have so much CON that even on PotD dragons missed lmao but in this game it is best to CC it or mind control it and let the adds tank.  Then bring him down when he is alone with more CC.  Prone is great against dragons, none of them are immune they are just resistant which gives them a +10 to the status affect.  If you stack accuracy high enough you should have no issues proning.  Also every dragon can be blinded except the Sky Dragon and she is the weakest one.  So blind is very good against them.  This will help your tanks immensely.  Raw damage, if you can stack it on one character or many different ones can make short work of even the toughest dragon.

Edited by Torm51, Yesterday, 10:48 AM.

AramJese

AramJese

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Exactly,  abilities like Liberating Exhortation and the priest AOE version that does the same thing but for a shorter period are VERY good in the fight against the Alpine Dragon.  You want the tank to be CLEAN of ANY status affects or risk sneak attacks and death blows which will be lethal.  That being said the best way to tank a Dragon is not to.  Do not get me wrong I LOVE tanking stuff so I have had Paladins who have so much CON that even on PotD dragons missed lmao but in this game it is best to CC it or mind control it and let the adds tank.  Then bring him down when he is alone with more CC.  Prone is great against dragons, none of them are immune they are just resistant which gives them a +10 to the status affect.  If you stack accuracy high enough you should have no issues proning.  Also every dragon can be blinded except the Sky Dragon and she is the weakest one.  So blind is very good against them.  This will help your tanks immensely.  Raw damage, if you can stack it on one character or many different ones can make short work of even the toughest dragon.

Are you sure that Alpine Dragon isn't immune to prone? I mean, I've tried and it said immune at the top of his head while I was trying to do it along with crush attacks.

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Are you sure that Alpine Dragon isn't immune to prone? I mean, I've tried and it said immune at the top of his head while I was trying to do it along with crush attacks.

You might of mis read something I know he is most definitely not immune, just resistent.  Check the Bestiary.  I have proned him a lot with the Ultimate Dragon Hunter combo of Eder + my Paladin.  Marking Weapon for the Paladin+ Coordinated Attacks + Eder Disciplined Barrage + Knock down with Devotions of the Faithful stacked is an easy Knock Down of any dragon.  I have done it a lot.  Also have used Slicken and the Priest Prone Seal

AramJese

AramJese

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

You might of mis read something I know he is most definitely not immune, just resistent.  Check the Bestiary.  I have proned him a lot with the Ultimate Dragon Hunter combo of Eder + my Paladin.  Marking Weapon for the Paladin+ Coordinated Attacks + Eder Disciplined Barrage + Knock down with Devotions of the Faithful stacked is an easy Knock Down of any dragon.  I have done it a lot.  Also have used Slicken and the Priest Prone Seal

then I misread something, I will post my paladin stats, equipment, talents and abilities when I arrive home, I'm currently working so I cannot see them now XD

• Torm51 likes this

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

and I am on my way to work, but I will be checking the forums like the bum I am haha.  Love talking shop :)

• AramJese likes this

Jaheiras Witness

Jaheiras Witness

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
One thing with dragons is you do not want to be behind them. Recently I had a character get tail slapped by Adra Dragon. It was a hit (not a crit)...for like 460 damage. Just insane.
  • AramJese likes this

AramJese

AramJese

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

One thing with dragons is you do not want to be behind them. Recently I had a character get tail slapped by Adra Dragon. It was a hit (not a crit)...for like 460 damage. Just insane.

oh yeah boy, Adra dragon was difficult until 3 of my characters were level 13 but he did fought well..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users