Dragons have a base Accuracy of like 130, and like 150 on PoTD so with all those scores you are below their accuracy thresh hold and they are very likely to hit you.  Also their base damage is like in the 100s so even a graze can hit you for like 50 or 70.  If you take hits even the best tank will be dead in two or three shots.  Also the Alpine Dragon is a Rogue and he has deathblows.  So if you have status affects he will sneak attack you for massive damage with that crazy base damage.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Dragons have a base Accuracy of like 130, and like 150 on PoTD so with all those scores you are below their accuracy thresh hold and they are very likely to hit you.  Also their base damage is like in the 100s so even a graze can hit you for like 50 or 70.  If you take hits even the best tank will be dead in two or three shots.  Also the Alpine Dragon is a Rogue and he has deathblows.  So if you have status affects he will sneak attack you for massive damage with that crazy base damage.

thank you so much for explaining, that's the reason why Pallegina has died without advise, she was stunned then he did a critical hit to her and she died making me fail the child of the five suns quest and in consequence making me to reload the battle. btw (I'm playing hard mode + expert but I had to activate the maim characters before killing them)

Exactly,  abilities like Liberating Exhortation and the priest AOE version that does the same thing but for a shorter period are VERY good in the fight against the Alpine Dragon.  You want the tank to be CLEAN of ANY status affects or risk sneak attacks and death blows which will be lethal.  That being said the best way to tank a Dragon is not to.  Do not get me wrong I LOVE tanking stuff so I have had Paladins who have so much CON that even on PotD dragons missed lmao but in this game it is best to CC it or mind control it and let the adds tank.  Then bring him down when he is alone with more CC.  Prone is great against dragons, none of them are immune they are just resistant which gives them a +10 to the status affect.  If you stack accuracy high enough you should have no issues proning.  Also every dragon can be blinded except the Sky Dragon and she is the weakest one.  So blind is very good against them.  This will help your tanks immensely.  Raw damage, if you can stack it on one character or many different ones can make short work of even the toughest dragon.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Exactly,  abilities like Liberating Exhortation and the priest AOE version that does the same thing but for a shorter period are VERY good in the fight against the Alpine Dragon.  You want the tank to be CLEAN of ANY status affects or risk sneak attacks and death blows which will be lethal.  That being said the best way to tank a Dragon is not to.  Do not get me wrong I LOVE tanking stuff so I have had Paladins who have so much CON that even on PotD dragons missed lmao but in this game it is best to CC it or mind control it and let the adds tank.  Then bring him down when he is alone with more CC.  Prone is great against dragons, none of them are immune they are just resistant which gives them a +10 to the status affect.  If you stack accuracy high enough you should have no issues proning.  Also every dragon can be blinded except the Sky Dragon and she is the weakest one.  So blind is very good against them.  This will help your tanks immensely.  Raw damage, if you can stack it on one character or many different ones can make short work of even the toughest dragon.

Are you sure that Alpine Dragon isn't immune to prone? I mean, I've tried and it said immune at the top of his head while I was trying to do it along with crush attacks.

Are you sure that Alpine Dragon isn't immune to prone? I mean, I've tried and it said immune at the top of his head while I was trying to do it along with crush attacks.

You might of mis read something I know he is most definitely not immune, just resistent.  Check the Bestiary.  I have proned him a lot with the Ultimate Dragon Hunter combo of Eder + my Paladin.  Marking Weapon for the Paladin+ Coordinated Attacks + Eder Disciplined Barrage + Knock down with Devotions of the Faithful stacked is an easy Knock Down of any dragon.  I have done it a lot.  Also have used Slicken and the Priest Prone Seal

Have gun will travel.

You might of mis read something I know he is most definitely not immune, just resistent.  Check the Bestiary.  I have proned him a lot with the Ultimate Dragon Hunter combo of Eder + my Paladin.  Marking Weapon for the Paladin+ Coordinated Attacks + Eder Disciplined Barrage + Knock down with Devotions of the Faithful stacked is an easy Knock Down of any dragon.  I have done it a lot.  Also have used Slicken and the Priest Prone Seal

then I misread something, I will post my paladin stats, equipment, talents and abilities when I arrive home, I'm currently working so I cannot see them now XD

• Like 1

One thing with dragons is you do not want to be behind them. Recently I had a character get tail slapped by Adra Dragon. It was a hit (not a crit)...for like 460 damage. Just insane.

oh yeah boy, Adra dragon was difficult until 3 of my characters were level 13 but he did fought well..

• 10 months later...

I gotta admit, during my Frozen Crown playthrough not too long ago, I almost got wiped in the Thaos fight as I wen in not thinking to much of it - after all, it's a 12 level challenge for 16th level characters, so it shouldn't be much of a challenge - I figured. Man was I wrong, Aloth was killed permanently (an idea I liked story-wise), and it was close call overall. To be fair, Thaos got assistance from a bug: While Aloth was casting Gaze of the Adragan (he was just buffed enough to do so), Thaos moved to a statue, which left the Spell unfinished, and it could not be cast again ("That ability is already active").

[...]

I can so relate to that !  I came in overconfident, with a full level 16 party that I played for over 300 hours! (did everything in the game). 

Thaos of course targeted my main, who happened to be my Wizard, who normally never gets targeted (i.e. I make sure Eder is the target).  All my attempts to save her were in vain as I cast my saving spells too late (Spell reflect level 6 and below; Suppress Affliction 5-6 sec.; even Beetle Shell too late).  Plus I was too close to the giant vessel AOE smash attack.  Thaos knocked out my Watcher twice!  So it was really my party who won the fight...  Durance raised me just in time to beat Thaos' endurance a second time.*  

In comparison, Sagani was also hit by the same deadly attacks, but I built her with much higher damage reductions (so Suppress Affliction, even late, protected her fine).

It also took me a while to understand why I could no longer target Thaos for a really long time... After about 8 rounds of trying AOE (which at least hit the vessel also) and spreading away, I finally realized we had to target the last vessel left. 

I succeeded on my first attempt... but only because my party was overpowered.  Thaos certainly died with a glorious and impressive fight! 

Eder, as usual, took pretty much zero damage (!). 

Edited by Baraz