I suggest the ship's name, on the ship's character sheet should be changed from "the Defiant" to just "Defiant". Now that the name is painted on the hull, it's weird to have the "the" in the name. It wasn't the German battleship the Bismarck of the USS the Enterprise. These ships are colloquially as the Bismarck and the Enterprise, but they didn't paint the "the" on the hull.

You don't have to change the dialogue.

• Like 1

There's actually an option in the game to change it to whatever you want. On all the ships I believe, even the starting one. Defiant is just the default.

Also because it's changeable, it's possible that whatever they were showcasing at that point that you saw it had been changed away from default and they tried to change it back without really thinking about the syntax ; )

If not, well you can at least change it yourself probably pretty soon after start haha

Grammatically, does 'the' serve the same roll as HMS (etc) ?

HMS means Her Majesty's Ship so that feels like a no to me.

I'd say there shouldn't be a "the" in the ship name but it should be added before the ship name when used in dialogue. Though with the combined creativity of this corner of the internet, there surely will be very unorthodox ship names that will sound not just weird, but grammatically incorrect when prefixed with "the" in conversation. Not even sure what would happen with a noun for a name.

Captain of Defiance? Captain of the Defiance? Pretty sure we still want the "the" prefix for noun names...

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Grammatically, does 'the' serve the same roll as HMS (etc) ?

HMS means Her Majesty's Ship so that feels like a no to me.

Oh I didn't mean does 'the'='HMS' or anything along those lines. More that does a ship name or something similar require an article and does HMS fill that role.

I think I'd still want to put 'the' in front of 'HMS'. So i think I've just answered my own question...

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

Funny you should say that. I would say the HMS Defiant, but if I had to read the acronym out, I would change it to Her Majesty's Ship, the Defiant. Not, the Her Majesty's Ship Defiant.

• Like 3

My Deadfire mods

I still need to figure out a name for my orlan merchant from Old Valia. Creating my character for the first time and having little knowledge of the Eora lore, I named my orlan in Glanfathan style by digging into old Irish names... Need to find something more italian for the sequel. 

Having to figure something out for my ship and discovered islands might be too much for my limited creativity. 

• Like 1

I still need to figure out a name for my orlan merchant from Old Valia. Creating my character for the first time and having little knowledge of the Eora lore, I named my orlan in Glanfathan style by digging into old Irish names... Need to find something more italian for the sequel.

Orlano Orlani

• Like 4

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

Having to figure something out for my ship and discovered islands might be too much for my limited creativity. 

Keep the current name then change some of the celtic vowels and consonants into ones used more commonly in Italian. Can just say it's the result of Vailians struggling to pronounce the name until it stuck.

In all seriousness, though, I can take a shoot at italianising the name for you. I speak Italian and have a university degree it (and its earlier renaissance forms to some exent).

That's alright, I will come up with something. Thanks anyway.

• Like 1

You guys are way too classy. I'd call the ship "your mom's bedroom" or somesuch. Imagine dialogue lines like:

Hello chieftain, I am Hectraw, captain of your mom's bedroom.

As you might know, your mom's bedroom can easily house fifty men, and no fewer are necessary to keep her in top shape.

Do you know where I could hire some cleaners? My crew tends to make a mess of your mom's bedroom.

• Like 5

My Deadfire mods