Quick question: There are no body shapes to choose from during character creation in Deadfire like there were in Tyranny, are there? Meaning all members of a race and gender have the same body type?

What about NPCs? Are there models for fat or skinny or burly characters?

Maybe this is just a feature of the beta but I've seen videos of character creation where a body type was chosen after race was selected. This didn't provide height/weight microadjustment afair but just allowed you to choose, say, an orlan with the stature of a human, an elf with that of a dwarf, vv. etc.

Edited by Mack

Maybe this is just a feature of the beta but I've seen videos of character creation where a body type was chosen after race was selected. This didn't provide height/weight microadjustment afair but just allowed you to choose, say, an orlan with the stature of a human, an elf with the stature of a dwarf, vv. etc.

Isn't that a feature of godlikes? It was like that in PoE 1 too.

Maybe this is just a feature of the beta but I've seen videos of character creation where a body type was chosen after race was selected. This didn't provide height/weight microadjustment afair but just allowed you to choose, say, an orlan with the stature of a human, an elf with the stature of a dwarf, vv. etc.

Isn't that a feature of godlikes? It was like that in PoE 1 too.

That could be. If so my bad. I've never played a godlike so I'm not up to speed.

*Shrug* I think the Race selection is enough. It'd be a pretty ridiculous amount of effort to make multiple body types for every single race and then make armor fit them all properly.

I think the different races perform a similar function in this game. Tyranny was constrained to humans, after all.

I can't find the post now, but Josh did say adding multiple body types to all the five races (six if you count godlike) would be too much effort and resources.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo

It would be very cool if there were couple “types” for each race. Various idle poses do a nice job in defining characters, but various body types would be nice. With various items and animation, my guess is that it would be ton of work.

As godlike come from various races, you can choose what “body” godlike will use.

My knowledge of modeling and animation if garbage tier but I think Morty above has stated what is true. It just takes time and effort to do this and that's time and effort Obsidian could use somewhere else.  And this exactly a thing that only Obsidian does. You don't see much variety in other games either precisely I assume for the reason stated above.

Yes! We have no bananas.

Even in fallout 4 where you can adjust your protagonist's body type during the character creation, 99% of the NPCs have the same body type, with only a handful exception.

It's always nice to have more things(body types, voices, etc) in the game, but in the end they don't have the infinite budget and time to include everything,

I don't think it's 'very little result'. I think it would really help bring characters to life. Sure, it might be a lot work, but it's something I'd quite like to see.

It is very little result compared to other, far more impactful things that dev time can be spent on.

There's no arguing with that (even though I tried to). I just think it would be really neat.

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

Whilst it's something I'd probably use, it's also something that doesn't have enough impact in an isometric game like this to warrant spending the resources on it. (Edit: IMO, YMMV, etc)

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It's kinda a big deal for me. Why are elves shorter than human? I really like that elves can be at least the height of humans. Also Aumaua.. i get it they need to be portrayed as huge beings.. but i like them slightly shorter but still slightly taller than human. And Dwarves? most fantasy.. dwarves are short. I like portrayal of Dwarves.. to be more taller. Still shorter than human but they should be taller.

At least allow these options so i can customise the character i want.

• Like 1

Height (or more accurately the scale to all dimensions) is very easy to mod for all characters of that race/gender combination. So if you think male elves should be taller than humans you need to change a single line in the "global.gamebundle"

But yeah a customize able scale just for the player character would be nice and I think relatively easy to implement

Edited by Insidous

Height (or more accurately the scale to all dimensions) is very easy to mod for all characters of that race/gender combination. So if you think male elves should be taller than humans you need to change a single line in the "global.gamebundle"

But yeah a customize able scale just for the player character would be nice and I think relatively easy to implement

Temple of Elemental Evil did this. My experience with this feature was that it can loom really weird when you get away from the standard size.

That's probably more of an issue with how they scaled it, though.

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death