Chris Avellone: The Final Frontier

As a 'professional statement taker' I know well the eternal truth of Babylon 5. Understanding is a three sided sword. There is your side, their side, and the truth. And so far we only one of the sides. Understanding is yet far away.

But 'truthfully'  I don't care to find out about out what the other sides have to say at this point. Because even if Avellone is speaking completely factually - so what? Obsidian's owners are incompetent/ruthless? There is nepotism going on in the company? As a consumer of RPG video games what is that to me? The game is either good or it isn't, and I enjoy it or I won't. So far, I can't recall an Obsidian game I've played that I did not immensely enjoy, games Obsidian made while Avellone worked there and games they made after he left.

If Obsidian did him wrong - fine. Let him seek restitution through the civil and criminal justice systems. The courts and the police are open. Yet, wait, he hasn't, hasn't he? What police reports or  lawsuits has he filed? None? Then I suppose it wasn't that bad, was it? And if whatever wrong he suffered wasn't severe enough for him to seek formal restitution for himself then it wasn't severe enough to prevent me from enjoying the game I've backed.  

Of course, Avellone has now stated or made allusions to on the other forum that legal action is imminent - years after he left the company. Paradox is suddenly contacting him a year and a half after Tyranny was released because "they aren't happy with Obsidian" even though there are interviews on the web stating they would love to work with Obsidian again (like this one: https://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-sales-paradox-obsidian )

Yet, only the cusp of a major Obsidian release does Avellone, who works for a competitor on a rival project, suddenly get on the forums and start making these allegations and allusions.

A big game is about to be released and this should be a joyous time for at all, yet this does this mudslinging sour it. Maybe you haven't realized it yet, Avellone, but its hard to sling mud without getting muddy yourself. Whatever.  I'm going to enjoy this game in spite of you.

Well said. 

Avellone is more than a little believable, and despite the insinuations of some in this thread, he's not inconsistent, nor acting out of drunkenness.

Bro, he's persistently and reliably inconsistent- the only thing consistent is the 'in' in front of 'consistent'. Doesn't necessarily mean that he's wrong, but that certainly isn't evidence that he's right.

I do wish people would drop the drink accusations though.

As with all of the best writers Avellone has a deeper understanding than most of human nature, and in order to get that understanding one has to have to have a great appreciation for the truth, as well as to be very human themselves.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand MCA. His posting style is extremely subtle and without a solid grasp of office politics the points will go over a typical reader's head. There's also Chris's nihilus development which is a deftly woven character- his characteristics draws heavily freom Vhilor in PST for example. His fans understand this stuff, they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depth of his commentary, to realise that they're not just well written characters and complaints about management, they say something deep about existence. As a consequnce people who don't believe Chris truly are idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate the accuracy in Chris's existential catchphrase "tinynickinyourmouth", which is itself a cryptic reference to the guy's username. I'm smirking right now imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as MCA's genius wit unfolds itself on the Codex. What fools, how I pity them.

Any yes, by the way, I do have an MCA tattoo. And no, you cannot see it, it's for Codexer's eyes only- and even then they'd have to demonstrate that they're within 2 years of my join date (preferably older) beforehand and have at least 10k parrots received. Nothing personnel, vals.

I've never seen you triggered so badly, what's gotten into you

He is subtly hinting, that he enjoys to show his MCA tatoo, but no one asked yet...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

"If DU is right and iHaveHugeNick works at Obsidian - I didn't realize I was speaking to an actual Obsidianite..."

How naive can you get? The real Chris seems to be a smart guy, but this dude seems daft as a log.

"I'm writing tons of outrageous posts on a public forum, jousting windmills like Don Quixote, but I'm sure nobody here reading it is working at Obsidian. Hmm, Eric responded to something I wrote here a couple days ago. Nah, it must have been a coincidence." *Keeps frenetically typing*

"Oh, if any Obsidianite would appear here, then I'll change my tone entirely, switching from Codex Alt Right Chic to Common Human Decency." (Sounds like a trustworthy fella. What a galah!)

All the while, he want nothing else than responses and reactions from Obsidian. Zero points for logic and consistency.

Chris just seems to be wanting to be a rebel just for kicks.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Easy enough to not notice DU was being sarcastic and he doesn't know the other guy from Adam, so.. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A big game is about to be released and this should be a joyous time for at all.

Says who ? Are we all getting money from it ? :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

His statements about Feargus get more and more damning... I wonder if Obsidian can ignore this forever. Most of all this is all very sad to me. I'm not gonna let it ruin my excitement for Deadfire but it certainly is troubling.

It's only troubling if you accept everything he's saying at face value.

If only half of what he's saying lately is true then it's still troubling. This is some pretty harsh stuff.

I'm guessing that you've never walked out of a conference room and into a one-on-one, where an employee freaks out over something that *was not said* in the first meeting.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

What are "parrots"? Likes?

If anyone does want to see my MCA tattoo they have to show they are qualified, and join date and parrots are the most obvious qualifications on the codex.

(The codex has a bewildering array of post ratings, parrot is one of them. Likes there- same forum software as here underneath- were renamed 'brofists' and remain a rating option. The admin thought it was funny to have parrots replace brofists in the poster sidebar a yearish ago, as brofists replaced post count earlier.)

• Like 1

I want to see it but I don't have an account over there. ;(

I will sell you mine, with 1600 brofists, for $11.99

• Like 2

I had an account there in a time long ago when I think it was using a different forum software and so I think the account was lost in board translations and I never re-registered.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I will sell you mine, with 1600 brofists, for $11.99

*rolls Will save vs microtransactions*

What about you talk Zo into giving you the picture but then you send it to me?

Deal. I am surprised we just need an account and join date and not a list of our favourite games which he can then verify that none were released after 1992 and so are good. (Funny story I found myself referring to Red Alert 1 as a 'fairly recent game' over there :lol: )
  • Like 1

Easy enough to not notice DU was being sarcastic and he doesn't know the other guy from Adam, so.. 

Nah. I think Chris was just continuing with his "shill" routine, but in a less enraged, subtler way, after calling him a colossal poo poo head caused a disturbance in the force and millions of fanboys suddenly cried out in mild apprehension.

After all, tinynickinyourmouth's comments only make sense if he's an actual Obs employee and not just shilling on his own dime after trawling through 4,400+ Codex posts. Either that or he's a complete tool, and/or possibly mentally deranged. So he's giving him the benefit of doubt, by keeping open to the possibility that he's just a guy afraid of losing his job.

See, I really understand MCA, unlike the rest of you plebs (now let's see about that tattoo, Zor).

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

See, I really understand MCA, unlike the rest of you plebs (now let's see about that tattoo, Zor).

That's because you are MCA

I think this is really important. Why are people calling Chris Avellone for MCA? What's the M about? Is YMCA next?

Well I chose it..I mean people use it to refer to this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Yauch 's stage name

• Like 1

As a 'professional statement taker' I know well the eternal truth of Babylon 5. Understanding is a three sided sword. There is your side, their side, and the truth. And so far we only one of the sides. Understanding is yet far away.

As someone who also had a professional background in stuff I agree.  The last week of posts has felt like a case-study in the evaluation of single-source reporting.

It's not a judgement on the veracity of Chris' claims, but in the last week his statements have: remained unconfirmed, been refuted, and while logically consistent in some areas, have been slow to fill in critical details that may actually support his story.  The latest batch of statements have had improving credibility, but as an overall source, this whole episode has had a B-3 feel.

Again, everything he said could entirely be true, but there is still a fair amount of work on Chris' side, or the analyst side, to corroborate the claims and build a narrative dominated by fact, not emotion.

You aren't a "corporate shill" by saying, "I'm not willing to stake my reputation by taking these claims at face-value".  It just makes you a shill for the methodological evaluation of information sources.

• Like 6

I think this is really important. Why are people calling Chris Avellone for MCA? What's the M about? Is YMCA next?

It's Master of Ceremonies Avellone, MC Avellone, MCA. It's from hip hop or rap or something. I think Sawyer started it.

• Like 4

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Well I just bought Deadfire. Probably wouldn't have done it if not for the recent drama. PoE2 wasn't on my radar at all before that stuff started.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."