Chris Avellone: The Final Frontier

A new, bold, and most likely totally wrong theory:

Some hacker has hijacked Chris' Codex account and has been playing us for fools for several days now. Meanwhile, Chris tries desperately to repair the damage of all the stuff his Codex alter ego blurt out. 

I see no evidence of that.

This is... heartbreaking.

The man whose magnum opus is a goddamn virtual novel about the subjective nature of truth and reality should never have to resort to words like "shill", "colossal ****" or even childish name calling.

Alas, when one gazes long into the Codex, the Codex also gazes into him.

• Like 9

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Avellone was Oby all along.

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's just me speculating within those parentheses, as should be apparent. The context of that sentence, though, does make such an interpretation possible, given the other stuff he said about the others in that paragraph.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Even if true, that's a curious leap to link it to alcohol.   Seems like a case of the Mondays.

Every day is saturday when you work from home.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

The man whose magnum opus is a goddamn virtual novel about the subjective nature of truth and reality should never have to resort to words like "shill", "colossal ****" or even childish name calling.

It's not that unusual for writers to descend to the level of, uh, regular human beings? They put on their trousers one leg at a time just like the rest of us. It's just that by virtue of their profession they tend to be more articulate than the average person. Vidal, Nabokov, Hemingway and others have publicly slagged authors or critics. It's a fun little exercise to imagine how some of literature's great luminaries would have conducted themselves... on the Codex.

A new, bold, and most likely totally wrong theory:

Some hacker has hijacked Chris' Codex account and has been playing us for fools for several days now. Meanwhile, Chris tries desperately to repair the damage of all the stuff his Codex alter ego blurt out.

I see no evidence of that.

But of course you'd say that. You sent some of your IDF buddies to assassinate the real Chris Avellone while the l33t hax0rs from the deep Codex hijacked Chris' account right on time to start dropping truth bombs in a masterfully executed operation to DESTROY dumpsterfire's release and ensure that nothing will be able to threaten the incline.

We're on to you, Infinitron.

• Like 9

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Dnf5Od0.png

This is what makes me question the legitimacy of the revelations and the poster. I don't recall Avellone ever being this nasty (**** in your mouth, really?) even while replying to the billionth question about the Fallout Bible and its status.

Also, do we have any actual evidence, or is it all word of mouth (or forum post)?

• Like 1

Here's a question for those who know:

If someone does something potentially criminal on a web forum, does the forum owners have to be forthcoming in the case of any investigation, even delivering evidence of that kind, like IP adress or whatever?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Here's a question for those who know:

If someone does something potentially criminal on a web forum, does the forum owners have to be forthcoming in the case of any investigation, even delivering evidence of that kind, like IP adress or whatever?

Speaking from memory: If it's considered material to an investigation or court case, pretty much yes. Otherwise you get slapped with obstruction of justice (especially if you delete it).

Well, not to state the obvious, but is a bit of context missing - maybe that poster and him have been sniping at each other a lot ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster.

You have to sleep off a party before venturing forth.

• Like 9

Dnf5Od0.png

This is what makes me question the legitimacy of the revelations and the poster. I don't recall Avellone ever being this nasty (**** in your mouth, really?) even while replying to the billionth question about the Fallout Bible and its status.

Also, do we have any actual evidence, or is it all word of mouth (or forum post)?

I would love if that was not MCA, but I believe the real Avellone would have contacted someone at the Codex to stop this madness if that account was not his.

J_C from Codexia

Assuming it's actually MCA and not some elaborate attempt to attack Obsidian on the eve of their biggest independent release in retaliation for Sawyer's words about RPGs being held back by traditionalists hurting peoples fweelings.

I don't want to post real life information ITT. If you know what city Chris Avellone lives in, send me a private message and I'll confirm it.

Oh, Gosh! Imagine the fire and fury if some muppet at the Codex is behind this, like an elaborate ruse. 

Then the site needs to brace itself for a certain cease and desist letter and unforeseen consequences.

April the 30th, Chris retweets that RPG Codex has done some interviewing with him about a lot of stuff.

Then Chris keeps on tweeting like these posts don't even exist.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

God, that post alone discredits Avellone. Don't understand why he decided to break his professionalism by ranting on a public forum, especially the Codex of all places. 

Because he can't keep it together long enough. He did go after Infinitron previously as well. He is human after all, though this just makes it seem like he is actually posting under the influence of something.

Which makes you think if his "everything is fine and I couldn't be better" is just a huge front and he is a wreck.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Obsidian was supposed to fall apart without him. Tomorrow they are releasing a game that raised $4.4m.

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

It's not that unusual for writers to descend to the level of, uh, regular human beings? They put on their trousers one leg at a time just like the rest of us. It's just that by virtue of their profession they tend to be more articulate than the average person. Vidal, Nabokov, Hemingway and others have publicly slagged authors or critics. It's a fun little exercise to imagine how some of literature's great luminaries would have conducted themselves... on the Codex.

Yeah this is why I don't find it hard to believe most of this is made up or exaggerated. Good writers for whatever reason are often giant egotistical **** that throw tantrums when denied.

God, that post alone discredits Avellone. Don't understand why he decided to break his professionalism by ranting on a public forum, especially the Codex of all places. 

Because he can't keep it together long enough. He did go after Infinitron previously as well. He is human after all, though this just makes it seem like he is actually posting under the influence of something.

Which makes you think if his "everything is fine and I couldn't be better" is just a huge front and he is a wreck.

Right, but you seem to misunderstood how sever this is by posting on a public forum. Where thousands of eyes, of all profession, will take notice. It's one thing to vent at home, or with your friends, but it is another to vent on a public forum.