Chris Avellone: The Final Frontier

What is this RPG Codex anyway? The gossip magazine of rpgs?

It's basically 4chan but somehow even more racist and utterly convinced that the ability to play video games that are really old makes them an instant expert on any subject from literary theory to geopolitics.

Oh hello!

Well like i said.. when a place have no politically correct content expect people that spill poison on it :D

Edited by Mebrilia

It's basically 4chan but somehow even more racist and utterly convinced that the ability to play video games that are really old makes them an instant expert on any subject from literary theory to geopolitics.

You sure are an expert on the Codex. Although I doubt you ever checked that place.

lol

I wonder, was it being called a racist or a Dunning-Kruger poster boy that triggered you such?

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

You sure are an expert on the Codex. Although I doubt you ever checked that place.

lol

I wonder, was it being called a racist or a Dunning-Kruger poster boy that triggered you such?

No, it was the total ignorence.

J_C from Codexia

lol

the inability to spell "ignorance" correctly is prestigious as ****

• Like 4

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

lol

the inability to spell "ignorance" correctly is prestigious as ****

Meh. I'm sure you understood what I meant, so I couldn't give a **** about a typo.

J_C from Codexia

Heh, at least now I reckon Infintron's Final Frontier title is warranted!

It feels like Q is going to show up any nanosecond now, in the Fourth Quadrant, after us being transported there via an unexpected wormhole slip up.

P.S. Having read Chris' comments once again, I can't help but feeling he's been writing those under the influence. He comes across as positively sloshed.

Indeed, I also got the feeling Chris was under the influence of something.

But regardless, the ****ty comments he posted about Eric Fenstermaker was really bad. Chris' posts really makes him an unsympathetic character at the moment.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Ironically 4chan's opinion on this scandal is pretty split. Anonymity isn't good for creating echo chambers.

Ironically 4chan's opinion on this scandal is pretty split. Anonymity isn't good for creating echo chambers.

Yeah, one of the reasons why I prefer 4chan to the KKKodex. (Well, that and the fact that racist bull**** is usually met with "go back to /pol/" instead of the standard Codexian edgelording.)

The user and post tags are pretty ****ing sweet though. rating_parrot.gif

• Like 4

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I am more concerned about those people that think a former worker speaking bad of who was used to work is bad and is wrong by default but if a company speak bad about one of his former worker is prefectly acceptable. Or the people that thinks some not ethic things are perfectly acceptable because "Business".

What sort of slave mentality is that? Also all this people doing sarcastic comments about Chris work.

Companies don't badmouth their former employees in the open, that's just common practice. Every single contract termination is done in good will and they wish the former employee all the best.

If companies would badmouth their employees they would get sued faster than you can read this sentence.

Which makes it easy for MCA to go on rampage at Codex when he knows that Obsidian can't and won't reply to his claims. If anything they would take him to court for damage caused which would bleed out both MCA and Obsidian. So yeah, don't really feel like Chris is doing anyone a favour here.

• Like 6

Hate the living, love the dead.

When will this episode of the Kardashians end

• Like 6

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

But then i been following Chris from a long time and also Obsidian and yes i have to say upper managment in Obsidian had a good track of bad decisions and say what you want but when a talent like Chris Avellone leave a company and then after year comes out explaining why is indicative something went terribly wrong.

Losing a talent like Chris is a sign of not so much good competency and beside Chris is still actively working on the industry this should be an indication that other companies are wise enough to bet on him.

Chris always makes it sound like he wasn't part of the "upper management". He was a partner in the company, not some slave they bought off the market. Some of those bad decisions made in the past were done by Avellone as well.

Prior to this day Avellone hasn't really said much about Obsidian, now that he has companies willing to bet on him might think otherwise. Chris has a habit of blaming everyone around him and himself as well (after years have passed). 

Chris created the whole metacritic issue with Bethesda, when he blamed them for missing out on the bonus. Feargus had to come and rescue the situation. Now he is going after Feargus and the upper management with guns blazing. Who is the next target? Whoever he feels have slighted him?

• Like 2

Eh, wouldn't say it's that bad, at least in the subforums.  Either that or I'm just practiced to skip over the idiocy, there's decent posts there

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Secondly, this "scientific experiment" Avellone pulled might actually been hurtful. He didn't perceive it as "when we work together we can make Urquhart change his mind" but as "Urquhart plays favorites". This would create tension between the developers and management not to mention between the developers themselves. According to Avellones interpretation your idea was shot down, because of you not because it was a bad idea. And someone elses idea gets accepted, because of them not because it was a good idea. Why wouldn't this create tensions between developers?

Thirdly, Avellone says Gonzales and Ziets leaving could have been avoided implying the management was to blame. Davis is a programmer, both of these guys are writers. Avellone was the creative director famous for his writing, meaning he probably worked much more closely with Gonzales and Ziets than Davis. Perhaps Avellone himself created a toxic working environment, without meaning to, with his "experiments" and his interpretations.

Maybe Urquhart is simply the kind of guy who gives idea merit based on how many come to talk to him about it. Or maybe he does play favorites. I don't know. I do think this whole thing might have been avoided if Avellone had simply gone to talk to Urquhart instead of making interpretations.

Exactly this.

And if you want to think about the experiment, it might not be about the person asking for it. It's about how you ask. You need to sell your idea and some people just can't do it, they take the first no as an answer and settle for it instead of coming up with an argument that will win their crowd over.

Avellone's behaviour and experiments might have truly created some of the toxicity over at the design/writer team or maybe Eric Fenstermaker is just that much of an ***hole that everyone left, including him.

Gonzales and Ziets are wise to stay out of it. Avellone dragging Eric into the dirt didn't raise his stock in my eyes. If anything they could come out and say that Eric didn't drive them away if the claims are blatant lies.

• Like 8

From the codex thread a fresh answer to a question to Chris

Chris, were you fired from Obsidian?

No – after raising some questions about company finances and other issues, Feargus de-ownered me (which I didn’t have a choice in) and then told, “but don’t worry, we’ll still allow you to work on Tyranny for us,” and my response was, “that’s okay, you can work on it by yourself.”

Before this seems unusual, de-ownering was actually a common threat tossed around, so it wasn’t specific to me – if any owner raised objections to events going on, the response was often, “you don’t sound like you want to be an owner anymore” and never addressed the actual issues being brought up.

Not surprisingly, this shift in being de-ownered coincided with taking place shortly before the first royalty payments from Eternity came in, which meant that the surviving owners got a much larger share with me de-ownered (I don’t mind that, as I didn’t want royalty payments from Eternity, but I don’t think the other owners deserved royalties, either, except maybe a set amount for Darren for the Backer portal work he put in – the team deserved all of it). It was a good business decision, but not good ethics.

• Like 1

If that actually happened he should be talking to a lawyer, not to RPG codex. So either it didn't happen, or Feargus is evil and Avellone is a drooling moron.

And i suggest you read the first declaration again so you can see it why is posting this stuff only now.

If that actually happened he should be talking to a lawyer, not to RPG codex. So either it didn't happen, or Feargus is evil and Avellone is a drooling moron.

Law suits are expensive and can worsen all sides.